If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189929
OS Grid Reference: SK6958117801
OS Grid Coordinates: 469581, 317801
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7534, -0.9705
There is also a scheduled monument, Village Cross at the Western End of Main Street, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Frisby on the Wreake, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 6817-6917 FRISBY AND KIRBY CHURCH LANE
15/56 Church of St. Thomas
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. North aisle rebuilt c.182O. Restored and chancel rebuilt by H. I. Stevens, 1848. Coursed and squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings and lead and slate gabled roof. Chamferred plinths, moulded string course, coved eaves, coped gables. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle and chapel, chancel, south aisle, south string courses, eaves band with masks, frieze of quatrefoils, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles and setback octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes, the lower tier with double lancets. Above, finial and weathercock. First stage has to west, 2 C19 diagonal buttresses, and ogee doorway. Above it, an ogee double lancet. Above, single square lights to south and west, and C12 round headed window to north. Second stage has to west, clock. Third stage has 4 late C14 cusped double lancet bell openings, with hood moulds. Clerestory, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and to north, 3 restored triple plain lancets with flat heads and hood moulds. South side has 3 similar lancets, that to east covered by the transept roof. North aisle and chapel, 4 bays has single diagonal and 4 intermediate buttresses. West end has C19 chamfered light. North side has to east C15 double lancet with panel. tracery and flat head. To west 2 C14 decorated triple lancets and beyond them a C14 blocked doorway. Beyond again, a C19 Decorated double lancet. All these openings have hood moulds arid .stops. East end has late C15 triple lancet with panel tracery and round head with hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth and sill band. East -end has 2 diagonal gabled buttresses and C19 graduated triple lancet. South side has to west a shouldered doorway and to east a double lancet. Windows have hood moulds. South aisle, 2 bays, has diagonal buttress to west. West end has restored early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has to west, late C15 depressed ogee double lancet with flat head. To its right, C19 moulded pointed doorway. Openings have hood moulds with mask stops. South transept and aisle have to south 2 buttresses and to east, a diagonal buttress. Aisle south end has restored C14 Decorated triple lancet. Transept south gi1ble has restored C14 4 light lancet with flamboyant tracery. Transept east side has C14 ogee triple lancet with flat head. Openings have moulds, mainly with mask stops. Restored tower arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, has octagonal responds, hood mould and C20 panelled glazed screen. Tower chamber has to north and south a blocked C12 round headed window. North arcade, mid C14, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and responds, double chamfered and rebated arches, and hood moulds with beast and mask stops. Similar south arcade, restored, with moulded abaci. Low pitched C19 roof with arch braces, bosses and corbels. North aisle north side has stained glass windows, 1896 and 1927. East end has chamfered archway into chapel. Roof restored c.1820, with arched tie beams and corbels. Chapel east window is flanked by single C14 ogee crocketed niches. Restored C15 roof with arched tie beams and bosses. Chancel has C14 double chamfered and Lebated arch with imposts, hood mould and mask stops. North aisle has to west, a similar archway with mask corbels. To its right, an aumbry. East window has C19 patterned stained glass. C19 scissor braced common rafter roof. South aisle has south west window with stained glass, 1970, and plain lean-to roof. South transept has 2 bay arcade with cruciform pier with 4 filleted shafts, corbel impost to west, and keeled respond to east. Arches double chamfered and rebated. East window has stained glass by Clayton & Bell, 1879. Common rafter roof, C19. Aisle south window has late C19 stained glass. Moulded C19 lean-to roof. Fittings, mid C19, include octagonal font, brass lectern, traceried benches, and stalls with poppyheads and figure carvings. 2 early C19 benefactions boards. C17 chest and carved box with turned legs. Mid C20 octagonal oak linenfold pulpit and Perpendicular style traceried oak screen. Fragment of roof lead dated 1733. Monuments include semi-circular marble tablet to Nicholas Sharpe, 1614. Marble and slate obelisk tablet, 1840. Bronze war memorial tablets c.1919 and c.1945.
Listing NGR: SK6958117801
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.