If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 190042
OS Grid Reference: SK8073339126
OS Grid Coordinates: 480733, 339126
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9435, -0.8000
There is also a scheduled monument, Village Cross at Junction of Grantham Road and Market Street, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Bottesford, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 8039-8139 BOTTESFORD CHURCH STREET
52/100 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13 chancel, altered C15. C14 north transept, south aisle
and south porch. North aisle and south transept C15. West tower and spire
originally C15 but completely rebuilt 1876. Many restoration projects in
later C19. Nave roof restored 1967, chancel re-roofed 1968. Ironstone and
limestone. 3 stage west tower, externally of 6 stages defined by string
courses. Stepped angle buttresses. Arched west door with shields in
spandrels under square hood. Shields have emblems of Passion and arms of
de Roos family. Above is 4-light transomed window. 2-light ringing
chamber windows and similar, taller, 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated
parapet with 4 square corner pinnacles. Recessed octagonal crocketed spire
with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes placed to alternate facets, each of 2
lights. 3-light Perpendicular nave windows under square hoods on label
stops. Tall gabled south porch with moulded arched entrance below upper
Window. Blocked external door on west side led to parvise (porch now open
on interior). Side buttresses and upper reticulated window to east side.
Gabled transepts supported by angle buttresses and lit through 5-light
Perpendicular windows, that to south gable of south transept under pointed
arch, the corresponding north window under a basket arch. South transept
with parapet frieze of shields within quatrefoils. 11 clerestory windows
arranged 2 per bay, all 3-light with lozenge tracery and arched heads below
hoods. Between windows are elaborate gargoyles. Parapet with frieze of
shields within quatrefoils. Parapet carries 2 crocketed pinnacles per bay
and terminates at east returns with larger polygonal pinnacles. Chancel
has 2 tiers of windows to south, all of 3 cusped lights under square heads.
3 to lower stage, 6 to upper. North chancel has Perpendicular 3-bay vestry
with windows of varying design and size. 5-light Perpendicular east
window under depressed arch. Interior. 4-bay arcade of octagonal piers
with moulded polygonal capitals and bases. Double chamfered arches.Wider
quatrefoil piers support transept arches to east. C19 chancel arch with
large coat of arms and initials V R (Queen Victoria). Above are faint
fragments of wall paintings, subject not decipherable, nor date.
Clerestory windows with moulded jambs. Nearly flat nave roof of ties on
wall posts, ridge piece and one pair butt purlins. Restored C15 octagonal
font, the stem of 3 bulbous carved shafts, the bowl with carved flowers and
angels in arched panels. Details are mostly C19. Polygonal timber pulpit
1631: arcaded panels with much floral design; hexagonal stem. North side
of chancel has C13 arcade leading into Perpendicular vestry. Chancel roof
similar to nave. Chancel is crowded with monuments, first to de Roos
family and others, later to Manners family; that is, the Earls and Dukes of
Rutland. Inscription plate to Robert de Roos and wife 1285, with,
probably, a marble figure of Robert. Brasses to Henry de Codynton 1404 and
John Freeman early C15. 2 effigies of knights on chests each side of
altar: William de Roos, 1414, and John de Roos, 1421. Monuments to first
8 Earls of Rutland are positioned further west, the first six of alabaster,
the rest of marble. First Earl, by Richard Parker, 1543. Second Earl
1563. Third Earl by Gerard Johnson, 1591. Fourth Earl also by Gerard
Johnson, 1591. Fifth Earl by Nicholas Johnson, 1612. Sixth Earl, 1632.
Seventh Earl by Grinling Gibbons, 1684. Eighth Earl also by Gibbons, 1684.
Listing NGR: SK8073039126
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.