If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Remigius
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 190112
OS Grid Reference: SK7221827188
OS Grid Coordinates: 472218, 327188
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8374, -0.9294
There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site North-East of St Remigius' Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Clawson, Hose and Harby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
CLAWSON, HOSE & CHURCH LANE
HARBY Long Clawson
SK 7227 Church of St Remigius
Church. C14 and C15 with earlier origins. Chancel and transepts largely
rebuilt and church extensively restored 1893. Coursed squared ironstone
with limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave, aisles and porches, slate
roofs to chancel and transepts. Chancel, vestry, central tower, transepts,
aisled nave, N & S porches. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window and 2-light
windows to S all with hood moulds and C19 Decorated-style tracery. C19
vestry to N has similar 2-light windows to N and double-chamfered door to E
with hood mould and label stops. Tower has battlemented parapet and 2-light
bell-chamber openings each with different Decorated tracery: that to E with
round trefoil-headed lights and trefoil to head, cinquefoil-headed lights to
N with mouchettes to head, those to W and S with trefoil-headed lights with
patterns of mouchettes to heads, and all with hood moulds. Transepts have
3-light windows to N & S with C19 tracery of cinquefoil-headed lights and
quatrefoil to head, both with hood moulds. Small, blocked round-headed
Norman window to E side of S transept, cut from one stone. Nave has 3-
window clerestory of 2-light windows, those to N C19 with cusped heads to
lights and straight heads, those to S lack tracery and have Tudor-arched
heads; all with hood moulds. N aisle has 3-light window to left of porch
with Ogee-arched heads to lights, straight head and hood mould with label
stops. N doorway has sunk quadrant moulding, hood mould and late C18/early
C19 panelled door. Large N porch has doorway with deep hollow chamfer
between thin chamfers and hood mould, off-set flanking buttresses, blocked
1-light window to W with straight head and chamfered surround. Battlemented
parapet to gable only with cinquefoil-headed niche to apex. S aisle has 3-
light window to right of porch with Cinquefoil-headed lights, 4-centred head
and hood mould. S doorway has chamfer and depressed ogee-arched head and 6-
panel C18 door. Porch has double wave-moulded doorway with hood mould and
label stops, probably former corbel heads. Small blocked 1-light window to
E with chamfered surround and straight head. Battlemented parapet to gable
only, with sundial to apex. W end has 3-light window to nave with
Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. Aisles have 2-light windows with
cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds with label
stops. Interior: Crossing arches have semi-circular responds and chamfered
piers, moulded capitals and triple-chamfered arches. Nave has 3-bay arcades
with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and double-
chamfered maws. NW pier has circular abacus, doubtless re-used.
Octagonal font with blank tracery to stem, shields in quatrefoils to bowl
and leaf carvings to angles of underside of bowl. Royal Arms of 1799 signed
J Tyler; oil on canvas. Present C19 High Altar conceals inch smaller, lower
altar of limestone dated 1737 with Latin inscription in panel begining DEO
TRIUNO and recording its gift by Rev William Turvile. Monuments: stone
effigy of arums-legged knight, late C13, very worn, said to be William
Bozon. Large slate wall monument with shaper top to Mrs Mary Turvile d.
1737. Similar wall monument to Rev. William Turvile d. 1740, put up by his
second wife Ellen and recording his rebuilding of the rectory. Wall
monument of veined marbles with obelisk top to Robert Garton d. 1792.
Restoration in 1893 was Preceded by a proposal to demolish and rebuild the
church to the designs of John Howitt, architect of Nottingham. Buildings of
England, Leics., 1984, p.278.
Listing NGR: SK7221827188
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.