If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 190223
OS Grid Reference: SK6691617348
OS Grid Coordinates: 466916, 317348
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7496, -1.0101
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in All Saints' Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Hoby with Rotherby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
HOBY WITH MAIN STREET
ROTHERBY (North Side)
SK 6617-6717 Church of All Saints (formerly
19/287 Listed Under the Parish of Grimston)
Church. C13 and C14. Clerestory added C15. Repaired 1744. Chancel
rebuilt and church restored by Ewan Christian 1863-4. Ironstone ashlar with
limestone dressings, Swithland slate roof to chancel, lead roofs to nave and
Chancel, vestry, aisled nave and W tower. l-bay chancel has 3-light E
window with cusped intersecting tracery and 3-light window to S which has
shafts to jambs and mullions with moulded and foliage capitals, and roll-
moulded intersecting tracery; both have hood moulds and label stops. C19
vestry to N has cued 1-light E window and Caenwmon-ardled door. Nave
has 4-window clerestory of 3-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and
chamfered round arch or slightly pointed surrounds of grey sandstone.
Rainwater head to middle S side inscribed JOHN ALSAP/ROBERT HENTON/CHURCH
WARDENS/1744 and plain stone-coped parapets.
N aisle has 3-light windows to E and W ends with cusped heads to lights and
tracery to head of 3 cusped pointed arches (renewed) and 2-light windows to
N with cusped Y tracery; all have hood moulds and label stops.
Renewed hollow-chamfered N door with imposts and hood mould. S aisle has
fine set of windows of c1300, all with slender mullions and tracery, and
hood moulds with label stops. That to E end has 4 lights with ogee-arched
pointed trefoil heads, larger, many-moulded central mullion dividing window
in two, each half with quatrefoiled circle above two trefoils to head, and
sexfoiled circle to main head. W and SE windows have 3 lights and cusped
intersecting tracery. Window to right of S door has multi-foiled
reticulated tracery. S door, inch renewed, has 3 orders of shafts, many-
moulded head and hood mould with label stops. 3-stage truer has cusped 1-
light window to bottom stage W, chamfered door to S, and similar window to
middle stage S. 2-light bell-chamber openings with Y tracery and hood
moulds. Off-set angle buttresses, plain stone-coped parapet with ball
flower ornament to base, and gargoyle to middle of sides, and recessed spire
with broaches and 3 tiers of lucarnes, all near top, those at lowest level
Interior: Chancel has piscina with shafts, blank pointed trefoil head and
nailhead ornament to hood mould. Nave has 4-bay arcades with four attached
demi-shafts with fillets to central piers, eastern piers with four main
round attached and four diagonal shafts of rectangular section, and
octagonal western piers, polygonal responds, moulded shafts and double-
S aisle has many-moulded piscina with cusped head, sedile and archway with
continuous double sunk quadrant mouldings, and much renewed Perpendicular
tie-beam roof with foliage and faces to bosses.
Font: Octagonal on broach-stopped octagonal stem.
Royal Arms of George III; oil on canvas. Set of C15 benches in aisles with
Perpendicular-style rood screen forming part of a complete scheme of
decoration of chancel carried out from c1914-1920 as a memorial to Beresford
family. Screen has painted figurative decoration to base and to E side of
cove in relief. Decorative scheme includes tile floors of chancel, choir
seating, painted decoration and angels to roof above sanctuary, painted
frieze and small Commandment and Lords Prayer boards flanking High Altar.
Stain-glass E and S chancel windows of 1914 and 1916 form part of same
Scheme. Another stain-glass window by same hand to NE aisle window of
Monuments: Brass of c1480 with lower half of a knight in armour and indent
for his wife.
Veined white marble wall monument to Sarah Anne Standley d.1792. Successive
members of the Beresford family were rectors and patrons of the living for
almost a century from mid C19.
Buildings of England Leics 1984 p178-9.
Listing NGR: SK6691617348
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.