If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 11 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 191178
OS Grid Reference: SP5031590614
OS Grid Coordinates: 450315, 290614
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5111, -1.2600
Explore more of the area around Frolesworth, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
FROLESWORTH MAIN STREET (South Side)
3/29 Church of St. Nicholas
Parish Church. Partly early C13, with much of the later C13, and C15. The
tower was rebuilt in 1762. Conservative restoration in 1887-8. Limestone and
granite rubble with some ashlar work, also limestone. Leaded roofs. West
tower, nave with two aisles and clerestory, chancel. Four stage west tower
largely rebuilt in 1762, and dated on the parapet. Banded limestone and
granite with ashlar dressings and moulded string courses. Oculus in second
stage, lozenge shaped light with quatrefoil above, and in the top stage,
elegantly elongated paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet
and angle pinnacles with fleurons. South aisle of the C15: coursed and
squared granite rubble with hollow chamfered four-centred arch with slight
ogee to doorway. Windows are each of three lights, in a late Decorated form.
Clerestory is of less well coursed rubble with ashlar parapet and has ornate
paired foiled lights with ogee heads set in squared openings. Vestry in angle
of aisle and chancel. C15 chancel is of ashlar with embattled parapet
continuing across its shallow pitched east gable. Moulded string course.
Slim pilaster buttresses. The 3-light windows to north and south have richly
moulded architraves and panel tracery. The lines of tracery in the 4-light
east window are linked by horizontal bars. Small priests doorway beneath
south-west chancel window with moulded architrave and hood mould. Late C13
north aisle is of random limestone rubble. Its 2-light east window has plate
tracery, the others are Victorian renewals in a Decorated style. North porch
is half timbered on high stone plinth and incorporates two cambered tie beams
from a C15 structure, they spring from moulded braces and have flat foliate
bosses. Inside, the west tower arch is of the late C13 or early C14.
Semi-octagonal responds to a double chamfered archway which is set beneath a
higher arch with no capitals or division between respond and arch. Nave
arcades of three bays, the north the earlier, of the later C13. Cylindrical
shafts with simple capitals support double chamfered arches. The south arcade
is probably late C14. The arches are taller, and are carried on slender
octagonal shafts. They are double chamfered and the outer chamfer has a
moulded stop above caveto moulding to capital. Chancel arch is also of the
C13, a wide graceful span, it is not central to the east nave wall.
Cylindrical responds with nailhead decoration in the capitals. Doorway to
rood stair and upper door to loft survive to north. Small cusped piscina in
south aisle. Nave roof has cambered tie beam trusses which are of the C15,
moulded and with central foliate bosses. Purlins and ridge piece however are
C19 renewals. Wood chancel screen of 1927. In the chancel, the north west
window now opens onto the vestry, but all its tracery survives as a stone
screen. Two corbel beasts heads from an earlier roof survive. The present
roof is early Victorian. Stained glass: in the chancel north-east and
south-east windows are fine fragments of the C15, set into a simple C19 design
of floral motifs. The early glass portrays animated figures and angels
swinging censers. Stained glass in the east window is of 1898 in a painterly
style representing the childhood of Christ with various English Saints in the
smaller upper lights. Glass in the north aisle east and north-east windows is
a war memorial of c1920. The north-east window shows St. Michael, St. George
and Christ in a traditional architectural setting with jewelled colours.
The east window is more pictorial. The main light shows the raising of the
widow Nain's son, and below are two images representing grace and mercy which
portray settings of first world war soldiers juxtaposed with images of
Christ. West tower window of 1899 in a renaissance style depicts Samuel and
David, with angels in the upper lights. South-east window of south aisle,
1902, a Renaissance style depicting scenes from the life of Mary Magdalen, and
incorporates a portrait bust of the woman, Mary Wright, whom it commemorates.
Tombs: to each side of the alter a pair of C17 tombs, on the right is Francis
Staresmore, d.1626. The memorial was erected by his widow in 1631. It is
alabaster; the tomb chest with its drape carries a stiff recumbent effigy in
armour partly painted. His feet point to the east with a shield of arms as
plate against the east wall. On the side of the chest in high relief are the
effigies of his 8 children, named on their own inscription plate, 3 girls and
5 boys. Two are depicted in their cradles. On the north is the tomb of his
widow Frances, d.1657. This is also alabaster and in a similar style, but the
figure is wrapped in its shroud, and only heraldic emblems adorn the base.
Victorian font and pulpit.
Listing NGR: SP5031590614
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.