If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 7 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 191326
OS Grid Reference: SP7240893414
OS Grid Coordinates: 472408, 293414
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5338, -0.9340
Explore more of the area around East Langton, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SP 79 SW EAST LANGTON CHURCH LANGTON
2/5 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Late C13, early C14, C15, restored 1865-6 by the Goddards of
Leicester. Coursed ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Lead
roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle,south porch, chancel, with
north vestry and organ chamber. Continuous moulded and chamfered plinth of
slighter form on north asile. Continuous cill course, except in vestry. C15 west
tower of ashlared limestone. 4 storeys divided by chamfered stringcourses, with
crenellated parapet. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs. West doorway with
chamfered jambs and hoodmould with headstips. Double plank doors with ornate iron
hinges. Above, a pointed arch 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hood-
mould. Above again,a pointed arch 2-light bell-opening with Perpendicular tracery
and hoodmould. To right, ascending arrow loops. South elevation has a clock face
on 3rd stage inscribed, BLOH 1869 LEICESTER, with a single light trefoil head
window above. 2-light bell-openings to north, south and east. C15 ashlared lime-
stone clerestory with crenellated parapet with east gable finial and 4, 4-centred
arch 3-light window with hoodmoulds and headstops. North aisle has coped parapet
with cavetto moulded cornice enlivened with carved heads on its north wall. Angle
buttresses with set-offs at corners. North wall has a painted arch doorway with
chamfered jambs, hoodmould, and plank door. To west a late C13 2-light window
with bar tracery to east, a buttress followed by a similar window, then another
buttress followed by another similar window, all with hoodmoulds with headsteps.
C15 4-centred arch 3-light window with hoodmould with headstops in west wall and
similar 4-light window in east wall. Polygonal rood stair projection in angle
between chancel and east wall of aisle. Chancel has crenellated parapet with east
gable finial and cavetto moulded cornice enlivened with carved heads, only on its
south wall. Buttresses with set-offs. Walls raised in C19. North wall has a
tall 2-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops with, below,
probably a late C13 piscina with painted chamfered arch, and shafted jambs. To
west a C19 ashlared vestry with coped parapet and ashlared organ chamber with
Crenellated parapet above. Very heavily moulded painted arch east doorway to
vestry, with hoodmould with headstops and plank door. Single light 4-centred arch
window with hoodmould with headstops on north wall, and to right a similar 2-light
window. 4-centred arch 4-light window with panel tracery and hoodmould with head-
stops on east wall. Chancel, east wall has angle buttresses and a 4-light window
with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with headstop. South wall has, from east
to west, a tall, 2-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops,
followed by a buttress and then a priest's doorway with chamfered jambs, houd-
mould, and plank door with ornate iron hinges. Then another similar tall window,
a buttress, and another similar window. South aisle has coped parapet and cavetto
moulded cornice enlivened with carved heads, including a reset gargoyle.
4-centred arch 4-light window in east wall with panel tracery, hoodmould with
headstops. Diagonal buttress with set-offs, then from east to west, a 3-light
window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops, then a buttress with
set-offs and then a 2-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould with
headstops. To west of porch a 2-light window with geometrical tracery and hood-
mould with headstops in west wall. Early C14 coped, gabled south porch with angle
buttresses and double chamfered doorway with hoodmould with headstops. Single,
chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds and headstopson east and west walls. Inside,
stone benches. Double roll-moulded south doorway with hoodmould with headstops
and plank door with ornate hinges. Interior: 4-bay arcades with pointed arches,
continuous hoodmoulds, and double-chamfered piers with engaged shafts with moulded
capitals and bases. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch, with inner arch with
octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases, and hoodmould with returned
stops. Heavily moulded painted chancel arch with single shaft responds with
moulded capitals and bases, and hoodmould with headstops. North aisle has
continuous cill band, and early C14 tomb recess with pointed, heavily-moulded
gable with foliate decoration, and 2 partly damaged octagonal corner pinnacles.
There is an inner, trefoiled recess. No effigy survives. Rood stair doorway with
chamfered 4-centred arch. 3 corbel heads buried in east wall. South aisle has
similar tomb recess to north aisle, but contains recumbent effigy of Sir Richard
Roberts (d 1644) with coat of arms above. Small cupboard in south-east corner.
Chancel, south wall has C14 combined piscina and sedilia, with 4 ogee arches.
North wall has cupboard retaining C17 door and hinges. Vestry to north contains
reset Anglo-Saxon figure sculpture. Alabaster reredos c1900, with Last Supper
panel carved in high relief. Octagonal bowl and stem font inscribed TCWC 1662,
with heavily restored C17 wooden canopy. C15 nave roof heavily restored in C19.
Aisle roofs also heavily restored in C19. C19 chancel roof. Monuments: On south
wall of chancel, an alabaster and slate tablet to Samuel Hill (d 1639) with
moulded classical surround with keystone, flanked by Ionic pilasters topped with a
broken pediment. Above the choir stalls, a wooden plaque in moulded frame, to
Anne Brooke (d 1632), adorned with painted figures. On south wall again, a
memorial bust to Rev John Hanbury (d 1899). On north wall, an alabaster and slate
tablet to Thomas Staveley (d 1631), flanked by Doric pilasters with strapwork
decoration, topped with a round-headed moulding with decorative keystone and
containing a coat of arms. Above the vestry door, a memoriall bust to William
Hanbury (d 177 ). North aisle has four C19 memorials on north wall, all to Ord
family, and a C19 memorial plaque to William Ward on west wall. Organ reputed to
date from 1759, but heavily restored in 1937. C17 wooden poor box attached to a
pew near south door. C19 altar table, iron and wood altar rail, rood screen,
pulpit, lectern, choir stalls and pews. Mid C19 stained glass by Hardman in
south-east window of chancel. Three other chancel windows, and north-east window
of north aisle, all by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. C19 Minton tile floors.
VCH, V, 201-2.
Listing NGR: SP7240893414
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.