If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Langton Hall
Date Listed: 21 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 191399
OS Grid Reference: SP7157593043
OS Grid Coordinates: 471575, 293043
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5306, -0.9463
SP 79 SW WEST LANGTON ROAD WEST LANGTON ROAD
2/72 Langton Hall (formerly
listed as West Langton
Country house. C1660-9, extensively altered 1800-2, and in early C20. Ironstone
and ashlared limestone. Graded slate roofs with stone stacks coped parapets. East
front, Gothicised in 1802 has 3 storey, 3 bay central block with embattled parapet
moulded plinth and 1st and 2nd floor bands. Central doorway with embattled porch
with arched entry, internal stone benches, and wooden screen with 5-panel double
doors and overlight. To either side a single, 2-light casement with arched lights
in square frames with flush keystones. Above, 3 similar windows. Above again 3
smaller, similar windows. To the right a slender octagonal extruded corner turret
with chamfered plinth and bands, and embattled parapet with a weathervane. To right
again a 3 storey projecting wing with chamfered plinth interrupted by a 2-light
cellar window and cellar doorway with plank door below ground level. Above a large
4-light mullened window with hoodmould. Above again a similar window and above
this, a smaller 3 light mullened window. To left, a large 3 storey extruded corner
tower with moulded plinth, ashlar bands embattled parapet and quoins. Single 2-light
pointed arch window with above a 2-light window similar to that on the central
block. above again a pointed arch window and above this a smaller 2-light window.
To left again, a 3-storey projecting wing similarly treated, but with 2 large blocke
windows, one above another, and above again a single sash. Slouth front ashlared
symmetrical, 2½ storeys and basement, 5 bays. Moulded plinth interrupted by 4
basement windows, the outer 2 blocked. Central flight of steps leading to part
glazed door with glazing bar overlight with hoodmould above. To either side a pair
of glazing bar shases with stone apron cills and flush keystones. Above 5 similar
sashes above again, 5 smaller similar sashes. All with flush keystones. West front
has plain C17 parapet. Across the front a single storey addition with large bay
windows and symmetrically placed doors all of 1902. Above 3, 2-light windows with
C17 surrounds, the central one with a stone lintel. Above again 3, 2-light casements
with C17 surrounds. To left a C19 projecting bay with single sash window. To left
again a blocked C17, 2-light mullioned window. To right the return wall of the
south front with embattled parapet and moulded plinth with blocked basement window.
Above, a large blocked window. Above again, a glazing bar sash and above again,
a small sash, all with flush keystones. North front: 3 storeys, 3 bays with large
brick stack. A single storey early C20 kitchen block obscures the ground storey
windows but visible above are 2, 3-light casements with stone surrounds, that to
right with a hoodmould. Above a single 4-light window with to left a blocked 3-light
window, and to right another 3-light window all with stone mullions and hoodmoulds.
South-east angle of this wing has a datestone, 1660. Interior: entrance hall has
a C19 Tudor revival ceiling and a late C17 dog-leg staircase with barley-sugar
twist balusters pulvinated string and panelled dado. Drawing-room in south range
has Neo-classical fireplace. Library has C19 french Rococo fireplace. Running west
from the house, a c.21m long, c.3m high wall of ironstone rubble with moulded ashlar
coping, and a pointed arch doorway with plank door at its east end. Running east
from the house, a similar wall screens, the area in front of the house from the
stable courtyard. This wall runs for c.20m and has alternating buttresses and blank
round-headed windows terminating in a square embattled tower with chamfered plinth
and arrowslit window. Here the wall returns and is interrupted by the stable yard
gateway, before continuing for a c.12m to terminate in the east wall of the C19
stable block. On the south and west sides of the house there are terraces with
low ashlared retaining walls and steps with square piers topped with stone balls.
the gardens were listed Grade II in the Register of Parks and Gardens of special
historic interest in England.
Listing NGR: SP7157593043
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.