British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Kimcote and Walton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 11 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 191426

OS Grid Reference: SP5858286536
OS Grid Coordinates: 458582, 286536
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4736, -1.1390

Location: Walton Road, Kimcote, Leicestershire LE17 5RU

Locality: Kimcote and Walton
Local Authority: Harborough District Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE17 5RU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(north side)

Church of All Saints

Parish Church. Late C13, C14, C15, restored 1869 by William
Smith. Rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs, plain
tiled chancel. West tower, nave, north aisle, north vestry,
south porch, chancel. Buttresses with set-offs. Windows
restored in C19. 4-stage C14/C15 tower, with 4 stringcourses,
moulded plinth, angle buttresses, ashlared 4th stage with
embattled parapet and crocketed corner finials. West elevation:
pointed arch, 2-light window with Y-tracery and hoodmould with
headstops. Above in 3rd stage, a moulded, four-centred arch, 2-
light bell-opening with transom, louvres, and hoodmould with
headstops. North, south and east elevations all have similar
bell-openings. South elevation, 2nd stage, has C20 clockface.
Earlier nave roofline visible on east elevation. Nave has C15
Clerestory with two 2-light windows in chamfered square frames
on north wall and 3 similar windows on south wall, with
continuous sill band. Coped east gable with kneelers and cross
finials. C13 north aisle and vestry: coped west parapet.
Chamfered, pointed arch, 3-light west window with hoodmould.
North wall has chamfered plinth, and cornice. From west to east:
a buttress, followed by a chamfered, four-centred doorway with
plank door, a buttress, a chamfered, pointed arch window with Y-
tracery and hoodmould, then a buttress, East wall has a
chamfered, pointed arch, 4-light window, with interesting tracery
and hoodmould. South wall of nave has moulded plinth, and from
west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with
hoodmould. Then the C15 south porch, with angle buttresses,
coped gable with kneelers and cross finial, chamfered and
moulded, pointed arch doorway with responds with capitals and
bases, and hoodmould. Chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window
in east and west walls. C15, moulded roof timbers. Double-
chamfered, pointed arch south doorway with double panelled doors.
To east again, a 2-light window in chamfered square frame with
hoodmould, a buttress, then a chamfered, pointed arch 3-light
window with intersecting tracery, and hoodmould, followed by a
buttress. C13 chapel, with coped gable with kneelers and cross
finial. North wall has from west to east: a chamfered pointed
arch window, with Y-tracery and hoodmould, followed by a
buttress. South wall has west to east: a chamfered, pointed
arch, 2-light window with plate tracery, and hoodmould with
headsteps, then a buttress: Then a chamfered, pointed arch
window with Y-tracery and hoodmould with headstops, interrupted
below by a C19 doorway with flat arch and plank door. Beyond
this, another similar 2-light window with plate tracery, followed
by a buttress. East wall has continuous moulded string course
and C19, chamfered, pointed arch 4-light window with rectilinear
tracery and hoodmould. Above, a small quatrefoil window.
INTERIOR: triple-chamfered tower arch with keel-moulded responds
with capital and bases. Double-chamfered chancel arch with
polygonal responds with capital bases. 3-bay north arcade with
double chamfered arches, from west to east: a half round respond,
then a round pier, then an octagonal pier, followed by a
polygonal respond, all with capitals and bases. South east
corner of nave has chamfered, four-centred arch former rood loft
doorway. Chancel has piscina in south east corner, with heavily
moulded, pointed arch and colonnettes with capitals and bases.
Plain, pointed arch aumbry in north east corner. C19 organ
occupies doorway to north vestry. Octagonal pedestal font with
panels with quatrefoils in circles, dated 1654, but probably
earlier. C19 altar rails, pews, stalls, lectern, poor box. C20
north aisle screens to east and west. 1905 tower arch screen
with re-used reticulated tracery from earlier C14 screen. Oak
chest inscribed on front: J * I Church ( 1816
W * W Wardens)
Monuments : chancel; 1860 marble wall memorial on north wall.
C20 tablet below south west window refers to gift of window.
Late C19 brass wall memorial above door, below south window.
Nave; late C19 brass wall memorial; mid C20 brass wall memorial;
marble wall memorial with sarcophagus in relief, in memory of
John Lucas (d 1827) and his wife (d 1826), all on south wall.
3 large slate floor slabs in centre aisle of nave, with decorated
margins and very worn inscriptions. West of those, a small,
lozenge-shaped slate slab dated 1827, with worn inscription.
North aisle: 1830s marble wall memorial to Lucas family on north
wall. Lozenge-shaped, slate floorslab to John Lucas 1835, at
west end of aisle. C15 navel roof with brattished trusses and
moulded beams with bosses. C19 north aisle and chancel roofs.
Stone flag and polychromatic title floors. C19 and early C20
stained glass, south east window of nave, 1907, by Kempe & Co.
(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 190)

Listing NGR: SP5858286536

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.