If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 191985
OS Grid Reference: TF3257639169
OS Grid Coordinates: 532576, 339169
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9336, -0.0289
Explore more of the area around Frampton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 3239-3339 FRAMPTON MIDDLEGATE ROAD
15/69 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late C12, early C13, C14, 1796 restoration,
restored 1890 by Hodgson Fowier. Limestone ashlar, lead and
plain tiled roofs. Western tower and broach spire, nave,
chancel, aisles, north and south porches, vestry, south transept.
Tower is late C12 at the base, early C13 externally with clasping
corner buttresses, thin central pilasters, chamfered string
courses, human head corbel table, fine C13 broach spire with 3
tiers of lucarnes in the principal directions, with paired
pointed openings, the lower set having shafted reveals with
dogtoothing. The west doorway is pointed and double stepped with
plain hood. Early C18 door, raised and fielded panels with cross
saltire motif. Above a pair of tall lancets, double chamfered
heads and to the right a slightly projecting facetted stair tower
with 2 round headed lights. To the belfry stage are paired
louvred lancets with triple shafts and triple chamfered heads to
the outer arches flanked by single chamfered blank arches. This
pattern of fenestration is repeated on the other tower faces. In
the aisles are C14 3 light windows with cusped curvilinear
tracery and beyond gable buttresses with trefoils. The north
aisle, C14, retains single original 3 light reticulated window
and 3 C19 copies. Beyond to the east a recut 5 light late C14
window with rectangular surround. The gabled porch, dated 1891,
has a moulded outer door with above a cusped niche. The inner
C14 doorway has a continuously moulded ogee surround and above a
niche containing a plaque commemorating the restoration of 1891.
Double C18 doors, 6 raised and fielded panels. In the north wall
are 2 fragments of C13 grave cover and east of the porch there is
late C18 brick patching and buttresses. C14 chancel has a
moulded plinth and fleuron cornice with a single 3 light
curvilinear window to the north and 2 to the south, each with 2
tiers of mouchettes and quatrefoil to the head. C19 brick
vestry. Chancel east window matches those to the sides but is
C19 restoration. The chancel has been substantially shortened.
On the south side an ornate C14 priest's door with moulded ogee
head and crocketed hood with finial. C14 south transept has
angled buttresses; on the south-east one a man's head with
inscription above. To the east a 3 light reticulated window, and
to the south a large 5 light similar window with cusped tracery
and simply chamfered surround. The south aisle has 3 C19 3 light
reticulated windows. Restored C14 gabled south porch, the outer
doorway is moulded with filleted shafted reveals, the inner
doorway is continuously moulded, and above is a trefoil niche to
the Moores of Wyberton dated 1881. Beyond the porch a C14 3
light reticulated window. Interior. Tower arch has C12 responds
with scalloped capitals, and double chamfered pointed arch.
Matching side arches and the rear arch of the west door is round
headed. In the west wall of the nave is an earlier roof pitch.
5 bay early C13 nave arcades having tall round shafts, moulded
octagonal and circular abaci, double chamfered arches. The arch
braced nave roof contains much original C14 timber and is carried
on massive trusses, supported by figured corbels. At the western
ends of the aisles are strainer arches, one with an octagonal
corbel. At the east end can be seen the springing of matching
arches, now vanished. The south aisle roof has moulded
principals and straight braces. In the north wall is a C14
doorway to the rood loft and at the south side a small window in
a rectangular surround. The south transept has 2 altar niches,
statue brackets, one with a king's head, and a square aumbry, in
the south wall. Medieval floor tiles. Double chamfered C13
chancel arch having narrow engaged octagonal responds. In the
chancel the rear arch of the priest's door has fleurons and
foliage, and a crocketed ogee hood. Beyond is a contemporary
sedilia originally of 2 bays, also with crocketed hood and carved
cusps. On the north side a doorway with moulded surround and
hooded ogee head, presumably to a vanished chantry. To the east
a tomb niche with crocketed ogee head, finials and leger slab.
Fittings. C15 wooden screen of 5 bays with ogee heads and panel
tracery, reset as rood screen. C17 octagonal panelled pulpit
with guilloche arches, removed from Bourne Abbey church in 1891.
Fine 3 tier candelabrum, surmounted by Coney rabbit, the gift of
Coney Tunnard 1722. Commandment boards. Ironbound C15 chest.
Transitional c.1200 octagonal font with intersecting blank
arcading to sides and hobnail decoration to the top. Monuments.
C14 effigy of a civilian in South Transept. 6 ledger slabs in
nave, 2 with brass matrices, in nave floor. In the chancel a
white marble wall plaque in the Greek taste, a sarcophagus,
Samuel Tunnard d.1818, and Hannah Tunnard d.1816.
Listing NGR: TF3257539170
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.