If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 191995
OS Grid Reference: TF3772943770
OS Grid Coordinates: 537729, 343770
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9736, 0.0497
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St James's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Freiston, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 34 SE FREISTON CHURCH END ROAD
12/79 Church of St. James
Former Benedictine Priory, now Parish Church. Founded from
Croyland in 1114, late C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restoration in
1871 by James Fowler in Norman style. Limestone ashiar, coursed
limestone rubble, red brick. Western tower, clerestoried nave,
aisles, north porch. Ashlar C15 tower with stepped corner
buttresses, bell moulded plinth, battlemented parapet. 3 light
belfry openings having hollow chamfered surround. West door
continuously moulded above a large 5 light window transomed with
panel tracery. Above a canopied niche with statue. On the north
side a blank niche. C16 brick north aisle, with moulded ashlar
coping and dressings. Stepped buttresses between the 6 three
light windows to the north side, and single similar windows to
the west end. Alternating panel tracied C15 windows with C16
untransomed windows, and small triangular headed doorway. Gabled
north porch in coursed rubble, ashlar and brick, with reset C13
outer doorway having annular reveals and capitals. C14 inner
doorway with ogee head, set in taller C12 surround. Retains C14
door with panel traceried woodwork. Tail late C14 clerestory of
8 three light windows, cusped, reticulated tracery. Above a C12
looped corbel table obviously reset, with interposed gargoyles
and brick parapet. In the east wall, the clustered shafts of the
C12 crossing are visible with scalloped capitals, C19 east window
of 5 lights, panel tracery. The south clerestory matches the
north. The south aisle is an 1871 rebuilding in ashiar with a
pointed window to the east end, a round headed doorway and 5
round headed windows and 3 lancets on the south side. The west
window is of 2 lights with curvilinear tracery. Interior.
Undivided nave and chancel of 6 Norman bays to the east and 3
early C13 bays to the west. Massive round piers, cruciform
scalloped capitals, arches have stops and rolls, with variations.
The easternmost arch on the south side has later zigzag. On the
hood moulds arebeast head stops. The western arches also have
circular pillars, triple responds with stiff leaf, and triple
chamfered pointed heads. Tall C15 tower arch, double chamfered
with octagonal capitals. Late C12 west crossing arch having roll
mouldings and zigzag which is continued on the hood. C15 nave
roof with moulded principals supported on carved corbels,
retaining demi figures and original bosses. North aisle roof of
similar date and pattern. South aisle has C19 roof. The third
pier from the east on the north side was remade square to afford
access to rood loft. C15 aisle screens, having boldly cusped
panel traceried bays. On the north side of the chancel a pillar
piscina with scalloped base, circular shaft and octagonal
capital. In the south aisle a reset C13 triple shaft base, now a
shelf. In the vestry reset C15 panels to wall. At the east end
of the south aisle are C12 shafts to the vanished transept.
Fittings. Chest dated 1590, iron bound with 3 locks. Fine C15
octagonal font on 3 steps with 2 kneeling stones and splayed
base, blank trefoil panels to the sides and stem, with
quatrefoils over. Splendid contemporary pierced and pinnacled
wooden cover having radiating traceried windows, supporting
central lantern over an open vault. Much crocketing.
Listing NGR: TF3773043773
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.