If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Helen
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192012
OS Grid Reference: TF3999547889
OS Grid Coordinates: 539995, 347889
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0100, 0.0852
Explore more of the area around Leverton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 34 NE AND TF 44 NW LEVERTON MAIN ROAD
8/97 & 9/97 (west side)
26.1.67 Church of St. Helen
Parish church. C14, C15, late C15, restored 1892 by James Fowler.
Limestone ashlar, slate and lead roofs. Western tower,
clerestoried nave, chancel, south chantry chapel. 3 stage C15
tower with plinth, moulded string courses and parapet. Stepped
corner buttresses with grotesques. To the top stage, 3 light
belfry opening in hollow chamfered surround with transom of 4
centred arched heads to the lights. Continuously moulded west
doorway. C15 4 light window with cusped heads and panel tracery.
C14 north aisle with C15 west window of 3 lights, recut C19.
Continuously moulded north doorway flanked by single C14 3 light
windows in moulded rectangular surrounds, with ogee heads to the
lights. To the east a similar window recut C19 to 2 lights, and
a 3 light window with triangular head. C15 east window with
cusped ogees and panel tracery. Clerestory of 1892 of 5 two light
windows in C14 style. Highly ornate late C14 chancel with
plinth, decorative corbel table of beasts and fleurons, moulded
parapet, stepped buttresses with crocketed and traceried gables,
with projecting beasts and figures. On the north side 3 three
light windows with cusped ogees to the heads and panel tracery.
At the east end are crocketed pinnacles, a cross fleury and a
fleuron gable cornice. 5 light C19 east window in C14 moulded
surround. On the south side are 3 three light windows, that to
the west with ogee heads to the lights, as the north side. The
central window is C15 and beneath this is a continuously moulded
priest's doorway. The westernmost window is similar, and beneath
this is a chantry extension with plinth, deeply moulded parapet,
decorated buttresses and pinnacles. In the ends are single 2
light windows with moulded surrounds and C19 tracery. In the
south side 2 C15 2 light windows with cusped lights, rectangular
moulded surrounds and hood. C14 south aisle with C19 reticulated
east window in earlier moulded surround. On the south side 4
three light C14 windows with ogee heads to the lights, moulded
rectangular surrounds and hoods. Continuously deeply moulded
doorway, in gabled projection. Interior. 5 bay C14 arcades with
double moulded arches, quatrefoil filleted piers and responds,
annular capitals. Tall C15 continuously moulded hollow chamfered
tower arch. Wide late C14 chancel arch with hollow chamfered
reveals and arch. In the south aisle a pointed headed piscina.
At the east end of the nave the rood loft doorways and turning
stair are preserved. In the north aisle a trefoil headed niche
at low level. In the chancel south wall a continuously moulded
round headed doorway with human head stops to hood mould leads to
chantry. C14 door and closing wing. Fine C14 sedilia with
cusped and crocketed ogee heads, with leaf terminals, and
pinnacles, delicate bossed vaults to sedilia. Corbelled and
brattished cornice with fleurons and heads to coved base. In the
rear wall a rectangular opening to chantry. Beyond a pointed and
cusped arch contains a piscina and a further opening to the
chantry. Both openings have rear arches in the chapel. The
later chantry roof is supported on fine figured corbels.
Fittings. C14 chancel screen of 5 bays, with traceried panels,
and cusped ogee lights with ogee panel tracery. C19 pulpit and
pews. At the west end of the nave a Royal Coat of Arms to
William IV dated 1832. Late C14 octagonal font with tail
trefoiled panels with quatrefoil frieze to rim, with matching
stem and bell moulded base on 3 octagonal steps.
Listing NGR: TF3999247887
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.