If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Swithin, Bicker

Description: Church of St Swithin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192070

OS Grid Reference: TF2245737863
OS Grid Coordinates: 522457, 337863
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9242, -0.1799

Location: Church Road, Bicker, Lincolnshire PE20 3BX

Locality: Bicker
Local Authority: Boston Borough Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE20 3BX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Bicker, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 23 NW BICKER CHURCH ROAD
(east side)

7/18 Church of
26.1.67 St. Swithin

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C12, late C12, early C13, late C13, C14,
C15, C16, restoration 1876-1911. Limestone ashlar, lead roofs.
Truncated nave with clerestory, aisles, central tower, transepts,
chancel with clerestory and aisles, south porch. C19 west window
is of 4 lights with reticulated tracery and fleurons above, in
C16 rectangular surround. In the south aisle a 2 light C19
window. The north aisle has 3 shallow pilasters, and billet
moulded scalloped corbel table. C19 Romanesque door and window
with billet moulded heads. C12 nave clerestory of 2 lights
flanked by blank openings, all with shafted reveals, cushion
capitals and roll moulded heads. Scalloped corbel table. North
transept has a restored C15 panel traceried 3 light window. The
3 stage tower has chamfered string courses and embattled parapet
with grotesques and early C14 2 light belfry openings with
trefoil heads and quatrefoils. Chancel north aisle is C14 with a
figured corbel table and a single 3 light and 2 two light
windows, all with C14 cusped reticulated tracery, 2 with
triangular heads, the other pointed. A similar 3 light window is
at the east end. The chancel clerestory, also with plainer
figuredcorbel table, has 2 C13 lancets and 2 circular windows.
Beyond to the east is a full height lancet. The chancel east
wall has C13 pilaster buttresses and 3 tall lancets with shafted
reveals and moulded heads. The chancel south aisle has 3 C19 3
light windows with cusped tracery and a continuously moulded
pointed door on the south and a 3 light reticulated C19 window to
the east. The chancel has a single 2 light C14 reticulated
window to the south and a clerestory with 2 lancets and a
circular window. The south transept has a 3 light C19
reticulated window and on the south west angle a facetted stair
tower and reset C14 quatrefoil. South aisle, has 2 light C14
reticulated window and a single bay of C12 clerestory comprising
a single light flanked by blank openings. Gabled south porch
having recut C14 outer door with double chamfered head. C14
inner moulded doorway. In the east wall a reset stoup with above
a C10 interlace carving. Interior. 2 bay early C12 nave arcades
consisting of large drum pillars, scalloped capitals, later C12
roll moulded and chevron arches with billet moulded hoods. A
further pair of shafts is buried in the west wall, showing that
the nave has been truncated. The eastern responds are early C13
triple shafts with hob nailing. The bays are divided by half
round wall shafts to support roof principals and there is a
matching cill band to the clerestory. The clerestory lights have
shafted rear arches. At the ends of the aisles are triple
chamfered arches to the transepts. The tower crossing has tall
early C14 pointed arches with deeply moulded heads on shafted and
facetted piers with annular capitals. C13 eastern arches to the
transepts with triple shafted responds, annular capitals and
moulded heads. Chancel has 3 late C13 bay arcades with round
shafts, octagonal and annular capitals, double chamfered arches.
In the sanctuary a C13 triple sedilia, with detached shafts,
pointed and moulded heads. In the north wall an early C14 tomb
niche with cusped head. The east windows have collared shafted
moulded rear arches. In the south aisle a C14 piscina with
cusped ogee head and sunk triangular panels above. Fittings. In
the chancel are 2 sets of C15 pews with blank panel tracery, and
in the north aisle are 6 moulded pews, one with reset C17 chip
carved panels. C19 facetted ashlar pulpit. Late C13 tub font
with engaged octagonal columns, with foliated capitals and stubby
supporting bases. At the west end a fragment of C10 cross shaft
with interlace decoration. Also a matching grave cover.
Monuments. Near the south door a wall monument in the form of an
escutcheon with scrolled sides and shield to Rev. Hinckesman
d.1744.


Listing NGR: TF2245837864

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.