If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 23 August 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192464
OS Grid Reference: SK9865057843
OS Grid Coordinates: 498650, 357843
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1087, -0.5278
Explore more of the area around Navenby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
NAVENBY CHURCH LANE
SK 95 NE (north side)
1/26 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, mid C18, restored 1875-6 and C20 addition.
Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate nave and
chancel roofs and lead aisle roofs with ashlar coped gables with kneelers and
cross finials. Double moulded plinth to chancel and small plinth to remainder
of building. All openings have hood moulds and label stops. West tower, nave
and aisles, and south porch chancel and north vestry. The tower rebuilt in
mid C18, has 2 clasping buttresses with set-offs, 3 stages with stage bands.
The west face has a single 3-light reticulated tracery, pointed arched window.
made up of medieval fragments, the third stage has 4 small pointed arched bell
openings. The tower is tapped with stepped battlements and 8 pinnacles.
There is a stair turret attached to the south east corner. The north aisle
has a 3-light reticulated tracery pointed arched west window. The north wall
has a low pointed arched doorway to the west and 2 flat headed 2-light panel
tracery windows to the east between buttresses. There is a 2-light reticu-
lated tracery pointed arched east window. The clerestory has 5, three light
panel tracery windows to each side, all in deeply recessed and concave cham-
fered segment arches. The chancel north wall has 2 large recessed and cham-
fered 3-light reticulated tracery pointed arched windows, the eastern bay has
a projecting C19 vestry with a small 2-light flat headed panel tracery window
to the north and a 2-light flowing tracery pointed arched window to the east.
The east end of the chancel has tall gabled angle buttresses and a large 6-
light recessed and chamfered pointed arch window with major mullions and
exceptionally fine reticulated tracery. The chancel south wall has 2 large
recessed and chamfered 3-light reticulated tracery pointed arched windows.
The south aisle has been extended this century by a single bay to the east to
take the organ, and the east and south east windows are C20, though matching
the other 2 south aisle windows which are 3-light with intersecting tracery
and pointed arches. The south porch has a stone coped gable with cross finial
and gabled angle buttresses. The archway has a double chamfered moulded
pointed arch with triple keeledshaft responds. Stone benches and a C19 double
chamfered pointed arched doorway with plain C19 door. The south aisle west
window has a 3-light pointed arch with ogee headed lights and a very unusual
tracery made up of medieval fragments. INTERIOR: 3-bay arcades, the north has
a large western double chamfered pointed arch with diagonally set quatrefoil
pier then 2 narrower similar arches to the east with a keeled quatrefoil pier
and respond. The south arcade has 2 similar piers and double chamfered
pointed arches and a circular western respond. The lower arch has a double
chamfered pointed arch with circular responds, and the chancel arch is similar
though much broader and higher, with the rood stair in the north pier and a
corbel of a lady wearing a wimple to the south. The chancel has an elaborate
triple ogee arched piscina with vaulting, double basins and crocketed finials
and pinnacles. On the north wall are equally elaborate founders tomb and
easter sepulchre either side of the C19 vestry door. The tomb has a large
shallow arch with crocketed finials and pinnacles, the similarly decorated,
small ogee arched sepulchre has 3 fine Roman soldiers in the lower panel and
pairs of finely draped figures in the spandrels. C19 wooden roofs, those in
the aisles with stenciling. C19 wooden pews, choir stalls and screen with
rood arch and figures. C17 wooden pulpit, a C19 brass lecturn and a medieval
font basin. Below the tower is the baptistery with a lavish font design by
Charles Kirk which was shown at the 1862 London Exhibition, the walls, dado
and ceiling also stenciled. Wall tablet to Walter Leightonhouse 1760 with
cherubs heads and coat of arms. Late C13 slab inscribed 'Pray for Richard
de Lue'. Royal coat of arms over tower arch inscribed, 'Painted by Thomas
Hunton of Lincoln for Anthony Fountain 1710'.
Listing NGR: SK9865257840
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.