British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Asgarby and Howell

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192554

OS Grid Reference: TF1162745389
OS Grid Coordinates: 511627, 345389
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9942, -0.3383

Location: Howell, Lincolnshire NG34 9QD

Locality: Asgarby and Howell
Local Authority: North Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG34 9QD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Asgarby and Howell, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 14 NW
3/8 Church of
St. Andrew
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, early C14, C15, restored 1870. Limestone
ashlar, slate, plain tiled and lead roofs, west tower,
clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch.
Tall 3 stage C14 tower with chamfered plinth and string courses,
plain parapet with cusped frieze with shields beneath and
crocketted angle pinnacles. Set back spire with 2 tiers of
gabled lucarnes in alternating directions and crockets. In the
belfry stage are tall 2 light louvered openings with panel
traceried heads and continuously moulded surrounds. To the west
is a narrow 2 light window, cusped panel tracery and chamfered
surround. The late C14 north aisle has stepped buttresses and a
slate roof with raised stone caped gables. To the west is a 2
light panel traceried window with trefoil heads to the lights and
a hollow moulded surround. To the north is a low doorway, 4
centred arched head and continuously moulded surround. 2 windows
have cusped heads, glazed spandrels and square double chamfered
surrounds. The C15 embattled clerestorey is of 4 three light
windows with roll moulded mullions, trefoil heads and hollow
moulded rectangular surrounds. The chancel has a chamfered
plinth and a plain parapet. To the north is a 2 light C14
window, pointed with panel tracery and chamfered surround. C15
east window, restored in the C19, of 3 cusped lights with panel
tracery, chamfered surround. In the east wall of the nave is a 3
light window, cusped heads to the lights and a 4 centred arched
surround. The south side of the chancel has 2 windows matching
that to the north and a narrow pointed doorway. The Cl4 south
aisle has a moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and a slate roof
with raised stone caped gables. It has a 3 light C14 reticulated
traceried east window with cusped ogee heads and a wave moulded 4
centred arch surround. On the south side are 2 matching 2 light
windows and there is a similar window to the west. The
clerestorey matches the north side. Gabled south porch with
stepped angle buttresses, plain parapet, scalloped C18 angle
obelisks and in the gable the initials IRL in Lombradic script.
The outer doorway is pointed with a moulded surround and
octagonal imposts. Side benches. The C14 inner doorway is also
pointed with a continuously moulded surround. C18 6 panelled
door with moulded styles and muntins.
Interior: The 3 bay nave arcades are of quatrefoil plan with
fillets. Annular capitals and tall double chamfered arches. The
tall tower arch has triple engaged shafted reveals, engaged
annular capitals and a triple chamfered arch. Above is a section
of C18 wall painting depicting crossed bones and the texts,
'Redeem the Time' and 'Prepare to Die'. The double shafted
engaged reveals of the chancel arch are filleted and have annular
capitals supporting a double chamfered arch. To the south side
is a doorway to the rood loft and in the south aisle a further 4
centred arched doorway to the stairs. In the north aisle are two
ogee headed piscinas, 2 statue brackets and on the north wall a
C15 wall painting of a kneeling robed figure with scrolled text
on a deep red ground spangled with white flowers. In the chancel
is a trefoil headed piscina and on the east wall 2 statue
brackets, one with a human head to the underside.
Fittings: All C19 apart from an iron bound oak chest in the
south aisle and a C14 plain octagonal font.
Monuments: In the tower is a limestone wall plaque to William
Stennett, d.1767 with cherub, flower garlands and shell. In the
chancel north wall a square limestone pointed plaque to Cicily
Sutton, d.1680, with epitaph and memento mori. On the south wall
is a small brass plaque to Charles Butler, d.1603 aged 8 years, a
shield of arms above the Latin inscription panel. On the north
wall is a C17 lozenge shaped hatchment.

Listing NGR: TF1162545388

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.