British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Parish Church of St Vincent, Caythorpe

Description: Parish Church of St Vincent

Grade: I
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193131

OS Grid Reference: SK9389448566
OS Grid Coordinates: 493894, 348566
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0262, -0.6015

Location: 49 Old Lincoln Road, Caythorpe, Lincolnshire NG32 3DU

Locality: Caythorpe
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG32 3DU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Vincent's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Caythorpe, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


8/40 Parish Church of
St Vincent
G.V. I

Parish Church. C13, C14, C16, C17, C18, 1860 addition and restoration
by Sir G. G. Scott. Nave, north aisle, central tower, north and south
aisle 'stubs', chancel. Coursed and banded ironstone and limestone
rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, slate roofs. West end of banded
ironstone and limestone, ashlar dressings, and ashlar in gable. 3
buttresses and 2 geometric decorated 3-light windows with pointed heads.
The buttresses have panelled and crocketed finials and at the top
of the central buttress is a carving of the Annunciation with
lower down a statue niche with a trefoil head and crocketed gable. Late
C14 ogee headed door with human mask label stops in the south side of
the west front, cusping on the underside of the head with grotesque masks
and shield and dragon motifs on the spandrels. The west wall of
Sir G. G. Scott's north aisle has a 4 light window in the late C13
geometric style to match the rest. The aisle is also built in a version
of banded work, and there are 4 3-light windows in its south wall with
geometric tracery; there is a further similar 2 light window in the east
wall. The stub of the late C13 north transept has a C15 4 light
perpendicular window in an original pointed C13 arched opening. North
side of the tower has 12 light reticulated window with quatrefoil over in
the belfry stage, surmounted by a curvilinear geometric parapet with
2 projecting gargoyles. The angles of the tower have set back stepped
buttresses. The recessed octagonal crocketed spire has 4 tiers of
alternating flush octagonal lucarnes, and is supported by 4 heavily
pinnacled flying buttresses which span from the angles of the tower,and
which are pierced by quatrefoils and mouchettes. The north wall of the
chancel, which is also in irregular banded work, was probably rebuilt in
the C19, and has a 2 light window with geometric tracery of that date.
East wall of chancel has a curiously shaped 5 light window in a C15
style, which in its foreshortening closely fits the C19 reredos inside,
and is probably of that date in its present form. The east and south
walls of the chancel were rebuilt in the C19 above the band at sill
level. Trefoil headed C13 door and a C19 2 light window in south wall of
chancel and a stair turret in the angle between the south transept
stub and the chancel wall. South trancept has a geometric 4 light window
with a pointed head and a C19 pointed headed door. South wall of nave
has 2 4-light windows, both originally geometric, but the more easterly
has perpendicular tracery in its head. Beneath the same window are
2 C15 windows, one of a single light, and the other of 2 lights, both
with cusped heads and segmental hood moulds. Central buttress has a
trefoil headed statue niche with crocketed gable and a carved panel above.
Nave wall has gargoyles projecting from a plain parapet. The westernmost
buttress on the south side also has a trefoil headed crocketed statue
niche. South porch in ashlar with plinth and banded work above, C14
with a pointed moulded arch in the outer face, side benches. South door
has a cusped head surmounted by a slightly ogee headed hood mould and a
croketed gable containing a seated figure of the Virgin which is flanked
by pinnacles which are cut by the porch roof.
Inside, the C13 nave is divided down the middle by a 2 1/2 bay arcade
supported on slender octagonal piers with circular capitals. The arches
are double chamfered and end in simple stop chamfers. The north arcade
is C19 and has similar details, but for the incongruously decorated
Southwell-style lable stops. The crossing arch is C13, pointed and
moulded and has five shafts connected by deep hollows, and the middle
one filleted, arches of three sunk waves. In the east wall of the nave
south of the tower arch the ogee head of a door into the rood loft can
be seen behind the Hussey monument. Also in the east wall, above the
tower arch, traces of early plaster, now whitewashed, are all that
remains to mark the position of a Doom painting which was apparently
visible earlier in the C20. Doors into the rood loft in the west and
east walls of the south transept. The chancel has good C19 stained glass.
All the fittings are C19, though seven figured corbels and the principal
timbers of the nave roof and the decorative bosses on the later south
half of the nave roof are apparently C14. Font is C19 octagonal
and chalice shaped. Monuments: on the east nave wall south of the
tower arch is one to Sir Charles Hussey, d. 1664, with an open scrolled
pediment, a cartouche bearing painted arms and a portrait bust, all
marble. North of the tower arch a marble plaque to Sir Edward Hussey
bart., d. 1724, with cartouche of painted arms, and cherub head with
garland. On the south wall of the chancel is the achievement of arms
of Lord Hussey, executed at Lincoln in 1538, consisting of helm, crest,
gauntlets and spurs; all save the helm look original. At the west end
of the south wall of the nave is a crude wall plaque of 1729 with an
architectural pediment supported on Tuscan columns to the memory of
Thomas Dawson, Gent.. At the west end of the nave is a C17 pillar type
poor box with a contemporary painted board.

Listing NGR: SK9389148568

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.