If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193164
OS Grid Reference: SK9475650438
OS Grid Coordinates: 494757, 350438
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0428, -0.5881
There is also a scheduled monument, Fulbeck Village Cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Fulbeck, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 9450-9550 FULBECK THE GREEN
7/74 Church of St Nicholas
Parish Church. C10, C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18. Restored
1888. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, slate and lead roofs. West tower,
nave, north and south aisles, chancel. West tower of three stages, lowest is
basically C13 of coursed rubble with ashlar clasping and midwall buttresses,
roll moulded plinth, C15 stair up west side, C15 3 light perpendicular window
in west wall with 4-centred arched door to stairs. C18 door with timber lintel
in south side. 2 C19 pointed headed lights in south wall of middle stage. A
fragment of ex situ Anglo-Saxon sculpture is preserved in the middle stage
of the north wall of the tower, immediately above and slightly to the left
of the central C15 buttress. The fragement bears interlace ornament on
the rightand a panel with a cable moulded border to the left. It is
possible that it came from a sundial or from some other type of decorated
panel rather than from a cross shaft. In the top stage are large C15
two light louvered belfry openings with two tiers of paired lights in each
side, the lower lights have four centred heads whilst the upper have cusped
trefoils with moulded hood moulds over with beast headed label stops.
Elaborately embattled and pinnacled roof with projecting gargoyles, the
middle pinnacles on each side are on diagonal projections supported on
grotesque corbels. The west wall of the north aisle is of ashlar with a
three light flowing traceried window with cinquefoil motif recut in C19.
North wall of aisle has a C14 three light trefoil headed window with reticulated
tracery and a heavy hood mould with human mask label stops. North door is
C14 with heavily moulded pointed head. North nave wall has four three light
C15 clerestory windows with cinquefoil cusped heads beneath moulded four
centred arches and a continuous hood mould. Above is a parapet with shield
and lattice decoration and pinnacles. East wall of aisle has a three light
reticulated window with a pointed head. Adjacent is a small monolithic
C14 window set in the north wall of the nave with two round-headed lights
and mandorla over. North wall of chancel is partly of coursed rubble,
partly ashlar, refaced in C19. Windows are C19 copies of two light C14
ones, parapet also C19, dated 1892 on the south side. East wall of the
church is of C19 ashlar with contemporary five light window . South chancel
wall as the north, but has a C14 trefoil headed door. South east
pinnacle of the nave roof has a grotesque form, apparently representing
the arms of the Myddletons, who held the manor of Fulbeck during the C15;
it includes a shield supported by a Harpy and a Wyvern. The south aisle
is of ashlar with late C14 four light east window with ogee heads, panel
tracery above and pointed arch with human head label stops. Two fine
C14 curvilinear three light windows in the south wall of the aisle with
ogee trefoil heads, roundels with mouchettes and quatrefoils above beneath
simply chamfered hood moulds and human head label stops. South porch is C14,
simple arched opening with label stops and chamfered hood mould, side
benches, cross at gable, trefoil headed side lights. West wall of south
asile has curvilinear three light window with chamfered hood mould and
mouchettes. South door is a C13 pointed arch with hood mould, label stops
removed. Door is C14 oack ogee headed judas, with blank reticulated panels above
with trefoil heads and elongated quatrefoils.
Inside are north and south nave arcades of three bays, c1300, with
double chamfered arches, standing on heavily recut round pillars with
annular capitals. Above the easternmost bay of the south arcade is a
fragmentary probably C10 circular window, now blocked. Nave roof is C19,
but rests on C15 grotesque corbels and reused in the roof are foliate and
heraldic bosses and standing half figures from the C15 roof. C15 tower
arch is tall with heavily moulded head and hood mould with foliate label
stops. Above the arch the coping stones of an earlier roof can be seen.
A plain square section string course is visible in the exteriors of the nave
walls from the side aisles. These are probably C10, since above the string
course in the north aisle, long-and-short quoins, which appear to be in
build with it, can be seen. These quoins mark the westward extent of the
Saxon nave and, together with the evidence of the string courses and
splayed circular window in the south wall, indicate that the nave walls
above the later arcades are all Saxon. North and south aisle roofs are
both C19. South aisle has two statue brackets and a C14 piscina
beneath a flat lintel and a four-lobed basin. In the north wall of the
nave behind the pulpit is a fragment of early C12 blank arcading, of which
the roll moulded heads only survive with a zone of saltire crosses over.
Above is a C15 four centred arched opening to a now-vanished roof loft.
Fragments of the fine ogee headed screen are however incorported into the
C19 tower screen. Chancel arch was enlarged in 1888 to its present imposing
C14 form and proportions. In the chancel a restored C13 sedilia on
the south side and a contemporary arched tomb recess in the north wall,
now containing a C16 iron bound chest. Two seats are made from cut down
C15 choir seating and retain their misericordes. Credence table on the
north side is made from a reused C12 cushion capital. Otherwise
fittings are C19 and C20. Only the font is earlier; apparently a late
C12 piece with four sections of blank arcading beneath cable and laurel
wreath mouldings, and supported at the angles by free standing octagonal
piers; all heavily recut in the C19.
Monuments. In the south aisle are monuments to Elizabeth Shaw d. 1736
with scrolly cartouche, urn and cherubs, and to Elizabeth Brown d. 1683
which has a broken scrolled perdiment and a cartouche bearing an incised
coat of arms. In the base of the wast window reveal is a fine elongated
slab with a curved top to Timothy Thorold, Dr. of Physick, d. 1641, date
of monument is 1680. In the north aisle are wall plaques to the Fanes of
Fulbeck Hall, beginning with Neville Fane, d. 1680, commemorated by an
oblong slab with curved top and painted coat of arms, and continuing
through the succeeding centuries with further oblong C17 stones as well
as later wall plaques. C17 alms box to west of the south door with floral
decoration. All rear arches of the C14 windows in the nave and aisles
have human headed label stops.
Listing NGR: SK9475450439
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.