If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193195
OS Grid Reference: SK9232346406
OS Grid Coordinates: 492323, 346406
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0070, -0.6255
There is also a scheduled monument, Castle Hill, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Hough-on-the-Hill, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 94 NW HOUGH-ON-THE-HILL FRIESTON ROAD
3/105 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C11, late C12, early C13, C15, late C17, 1787 C19.
Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, some ashlar, red brick, ashlar
dressings, slate and lead roofs. West tower with circular stair turret
to west, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, rectangular
chancel with north aisle. C11 rubble stair turret attached to west wall
of earlier tower. 3 small round headed openings in west side, the topmost
with weathered cable decoration. North side has 2 small round openings
and a rectangular one above. South side has 4 small round openings. Large
C20 set-off at top of turret. Tower of 4 stages, the lower 3 of C11 rubble
with quoins and 2 string courses, the upper C15 ashlar with single string-
course. At top of rubble on west front, 2 narrow rectangular lights flank
turret. North side of tower rendered with thin rectangular light in
second stage and small round headed light and clock in third stage. South
side has rectangular doorway with large C18 window above breaking through
stringcourse. Second stage has small C11 round headed light and clock.
4 C15 bell openings each of 2 pointed windows divided by mullion and
transom under single broad basket arch with grotesque head label stops. Head
at apex of arch supports plinth of central pinnacle above. Moulded eaves
with small sculptural decorations and large projecting gargoyles. Frieze
of quatrefoils above and 8 ornate pinnacles alternating with gabled panels
with finials. West front of north aisle has late C12 round headed light
set in rubble with stringcourse below. C18 buttress of 2 stages with moulded
plinth to north. Plinth continues across C18 north aisle of coursed rubble
with ashlar bands. 3 large rectangular windows, the central one of 3 ogee
headed lights flanked by single windows with 3 plain pointed lights. Central
window has "1787 J. LUMX," inscribed on lintel. Various names are
inscribed on stones set high between the windows. Moulded eaves above and
2 stage buttress to east. C15 clerestorey of 4 windows, each of 2 cusped
lights with quatrefoil under flattened triangular head with hood mould.
Moulded eaves with projecting gargoyles with battlements and ornate
pinnacles above. Original pitch of chancel roof visible on naves west wall.
Nave's north aisle is higher than Chancel and the aisle gable has
C18 red brick infilling. Plinth continues round choir with 2 C18 windows
above with round heads with raised keystones with 2 stage buttress beyond.
Frieze of shields set in quatrefoils above. East end of north chancel
aisle has another round headed C18 window with raised keystone. Chancel
east end has low moulded plinth, irregular ashlar quoins and large C15
window of 5 cusped round headed lights surmounted by 8 small lights under
4-cusped head with hoodmould. Frieze continues with ornate corner pinnacles
and central finial. Plinth continues round south side of choir with 2
early C14 windows with intersecting tracery pointed heads, hoodmoulds and
head label stops. Moulded eaves and frieze continue above. Small doorway
in south-west corner of choir with horizontal stone lintel inserted beneath
relieving arch. West of it, at a lower level than the other windows is
a pointed window with intersecting tracery restored in C19, with hoodmould
and early C14 caryatid figure as label stop to east, and grotesque head
to west. East end of south aisle has high C15 stringcourse and a lancet with
hoodmould. Upper part of south wall and gable built out from the original
steeper pitch. South side of aisle has 2 C15 rectangular windows each of
3 ogee cusped lights with mouchettes above. Stringcourse runs beneath them,
rising to higher level between the windows making a castellated pattern.
Shallow segmental relieving arches above the windows and rectangular
C15 window set between them, with 2 pointed lights, hoodmould and
label stop heads. Stringcourse runs above and rises to steep point above
porch revealing original pitch of its roof. South porch has large,
irregular ashlar quoins, plinth and stringcourse. South doorway has round
headed plain chamfered arch with plain polygonal responds. A coped
gable above with finial. West side has re-set C11 window. Porch
interior flanked by stone benches. Early C13 south door restored in
C19, of 2 columnar jambs with plain moulded capitals, pointed arch with
filleted roll mouldings. To west of porch, set between 2 stringcourses
is a C12 round headed light with hoodmould. Stringcourse continues
to run over west end of south aisle, original pitch of the aisle gable
still visible. C15 west window of 2 lights with ogee heads and continuous
mullions restored in C19.C15 clerestorey with 4 windows each of 2 cusped
lights with quatrefoils under flattenedtriangular head with hoodmould.
Interior west wall contains heavily restored round headed doorway set in
exposed rubble walling with heavy pointing. High above is an C11 tall,
narrow triangular headed blocked opening. 2 bay nave with early C13
arcade of octagonal piers and polygonal responds supporting plain
chamfered pointed arched with hoodmoulds and heads in central spandrels.
C15 timber ceiling with ornate bosses. C15 south aisle roof with
curved braces, C20 south aisle roof. North aisle of nave blocked at
east end by wall and ornate C19 canopy set over altar. Round headed opening
above and rectangular aumbry below. North-east corner of south aisle has
ogee headed aumbry. Early C13 chancel arch with semi-circular responds
with polygonal capitals and chamfered pointed arch. Chancel 2 steps
higher than nave with early C13, 2 bay north arcade with semi-circular
responds, polygonal capitals and double chamfered pointed arches.
Westernmost south window of chancel has head label-stops. Easternmost
has nook shafts. South wall contains plain aumbry and sedilia. C15 roof
with crenellations on tie beams. C19 pews, pulpit and stone font
Black and white marble monument on north wall of nave to Arabella Ashton
died 1792. On south wall of nave, an ornate grey and black marble
monument to John Marris, died 1785. 2 large monuments in north arcade,
both in white and grey marble with sarcophagus and obelisk, to
Edward Payne, died 1710 and Thomas Payne, died 1742.
Listing NGR: SK9232246406
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.