If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193356
OS Grid Reference: SK9280521870
OS Grid Coordinates: 492805, 321870
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7864, -0.6253
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Mary's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around North Witham, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
NORTH WITHAM CHURCH LANE
SK 92 SW
8/115 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late Cll, C13, C14, C15, restored 1887. Ashlar,
coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs. Western tower, nave,
chancel, south porch, north vestry. The 2 stage C14 ashlar tower
has bell moulded plinth, double chamfered string course,
battlemented parapet with corner grotesque clasping buttresses,
recessed octagonal spire with 2 sets of alternating lucarnes with
finial gables and steeply pointed cinquefoil openings. The spire
has an ornate finial replaced in C20. To the belfry stage are
paired louvred openings with cinquefoil heads and mouchette over,
having chamfered surround and hood mould. On the south side a
sundial of 1766. The west window is of 2 lights with C19 tracery
and C14 hood. The coursed limestone rubble north aisle has C19 3
light window, late C12 doorway with semi-circular chevron moulded
head, plain outer order on angle shafts with debased waterleaf
imposts and hood mould. To the east a C15 window with trefoil
heads to the lights and triangular head. C19 vestry cusped,
single and paired lights and Tudor arched north doorway. The
chancel east window has C19 tracery in 3 lights with C15 moulded
surround. South wall has 2 C15 2 light windows with ogee heads
to the lights, panel tracery, 4 centred heads and hoods. South
wall of nave has single 3 light and 2 light windows, flat heads,
ogee heads to lights and hood moulds, and beyond the porch a 3
light C15 window with cusped heads to lights, panel tracery,
triangular head and C18 wall plaque. C14 gabled porch with
pointed outer doorway, concave moulded arch and reveals. Moulded
imposts with small grinning human heads. Hood mould with human
head stops. Porch has side benches. In porch an Anglo Saxon
cross shaft with interlace and a C12 muzzled bear's head built
into wall. The south door is late Cll, tall, semi-circular
headed, of 2 plain orders and hood with shallow cable moulded
imposts. Over the door a bearded human head. Interior. Tall
pointed double chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds
and octagonal abaci. In the tower a pointed doorway to the stair
and an 8 ribbed vault with circular bell rope hole. Either side
of the tower arch are quoined full height reveals. The north and
south doorways have tall semi-circular headed rear arches. In
the nave walls earlier blocked openings can be seen and a small
section of herringbone masonry. In the north wall an archway to
the organ loft is steeply pointed and triple chamfered and has
recut wave moulded reveals and C19 imposts. The hood mould has
finely carved C14 heads, it possibly lead to an original chantry
chapel. The late Cll chancel arch is a single narrow semi-
circular headed square order with billet and fluted moulded
imposts. To either side later pointed openings have been cut.
In the chancel north wall a double chamfered C15 4 centred arch
leads to the vestry. Above, to one side, a small pointed opening
with chamfered rear arch. Further west an arched tomb recess,
aumbry at low level and a pointed opening at low level. On the
south side a further low level aumbry. Nave roofs and chancel
have moulded ties with ogee stops and moulded principals from
1710. Stained glass in south nave window by Kempe, 1903.
Fittings. Delicate early C18 turned altar rails and moulded top.
C19 other fittings including carved wood beam and crucifixion.
C13 tub font with trefoil headed blank arcade, alternating
trefoils and quatrefoils in the tympanum, an octagonal base. In
the sanctuary the altar is raised on 3 steps in the centre.
Behind is an oak cabinet made from a C15 square pew containing
the arms of the family of de le Launde of North Witham. Re-used
and made into a chest in 1840. Monuments. In the chancel floor
a brass inscription and base of brass figure to William
Miskerton, d,1425, and a plaque to Thomas Jackson, d.l697. In
chancel north wall an alabaster slab with cross fleury and black
letter inscription, c.1430, in tomb recess. Above the recess a
grey and white marble wall plaque to Maria Johnson, oval grey
plaque on white marble drapery with skull, on scrolled back with
shield surmounted by cherubs and urns. Architectural tablet to
Sir John Sherard, d.1724, by Edward Stanton and Horsnail.
Central inscription with baldacchino of drapery, composite
flanking columns, segmental pediment supporting achievement of
arms and urns. Richard Sherard of Lobthorpe d.l668. Large
tablet with white marble bust of deceased with bible and
prayerbook, hand on a skull, in semi-circular surround with
highly decorative scrolled brackets. Above the full entablature
is an achievement of arms in an ornate segmental pediment.
Beneath a slate inscription in moulded surround with flanking
fragments of a pediment, scrolled brackets and momento mori. In
the south chancel wall an inscribed brass plate in moulded stone
surround to Roland Sherard, d,1592. Above a wall monument to
Elizabeth Sherard, d.l658, by Marshall of London. Oval tablet in
decorative surround with achievement of arms and scrolled
pediment. Above the window a smaller early C18 plaque with
segmental pediment. In an arched recess a large standing white
marble monument to Sir Brownlow Sherard of Lobthorpe d.l736 by F.
Sharpe of Stamford. Monumental sarcophagus on chest with obelisk
to rear, scrolled legs with claw feet. Achievement of arms,
helms and gauntlets on the top. In the tower a white marble wall
monument to Sir Richard Sherard, d.1730, by Stanton and Horsnail.
Composite columns support broken sgemental pediment with cherubs
and urn, gesturing cherubs, putto heads to base.
Listing NGR: SK9280921867
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.