If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St. Peter
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193903
OS Grid Reference: SK8456048994
OS Grid Coordinates: 484560, 348994
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0316, -0.7405
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Peter's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Claypole, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 84 NW CLAYPOLE TOWN STREET (north west side)
2/14 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. c.1300, C14, C15, 1631, C17, C19. Ashlar, some rendering with
ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Cruciform plan with west tower with spire, nave
with north and south aisles, south porch, transepts, rectangular chancel, north
vestry. Tower of 4 stages, the 2 lower of c.1300, the 2 upper of C15. Lower
stages embraced by early C14 aisles, and flanked by narrow buttresses of c.1300
which lead into broader C15 buttresses above. West front of first stage has a
Y traceried window with hood mould and prominent head label stops. 2nd stage has
single small pointed lights on west and south sides. Third stage has small
rectangular openings containing single quatrefoils on west, north and south
sides. On east side, nave's original steep pitched roof line visible. Bell
chamber openings on all 4 sides, each of 2 lights with transom surmounted by
quatrefoil and with hood mould. Diamond frieze set beneath battlements. Ornate
pinnacles and projecting gargoyles at each corner. C15 octagonal spire with
2 tiers of ornate lucarnes in alternating directions, crockets and finial.
North aisle has early C14 west window of 2 cusped lights and intersecting
ogee tracery with hood mould and head label stops. Corner buttress to west
of 3 stages. Moulded plinth and string course run full length of nave. On
aisle roof is small bell turret and underneath a blocked C13 doorway with plain
chamfered moulding, ornate foliated capitals and hood mould. To east of door
2 early C14 windows, each of 3 lights with intersecting ogee tracery, hood moulds
and label stop heads. Moulded eaves with corbel heads. Clerestorey of 5
narrow early C14 buttresses set between 4 windows, the 3 to the west of 3 lights,
that over transept of 2 lights, all with intersecting tracery. Moulded eaves
with corbel heads above, frieze of shields, battlements and ornate pinnacles.
North transept has small C14 buttresses and C15 moulded string course on north
and east sides. Early C14 window of 3 lights with intersecting ogee tracery,
hood mould and head label stops, set in east side. C15 chancel restored on
exterior in C19. Heavy moulded plinth and string course. 2 large windows on
both north and south sides each of 3 lights with ornate mouchettes above, hood
moulds and head and grotesque animal label stops. 3 buttresses each of 3 stages
on north and south sides. On north side the central and eastern buttresses are
split to allow C15 vestry to fit between, so that lower stages are some feet to
north of upper stages against the wall. Vestry window to east is pointed, with
C19 tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Large pointed east window of 5
lights with perpendicular tracery, hood mould and head label stops. It is
flanked by 2 large buttresses of 3 stages. Small light in gable, coping and
finial. C14 eastern nave gable has C15 frieze of shields, battlements and
pinnacles with empty niches set beneath. The original roof line of chancel or
earlier chancel visible with blocked doorway above. In south side of chancel
is a small elaborately moulded C15 doorway. In west corners of north and south
transepts are parts of C14 nave's eastern buttresses with fragmentary human and
animal sculptures. East side of south transept has moulded string course
running under a C15 window of 3 cusped ogee lights with continuous mullions and
surmounted by 6 small cusped lights under a 4 centred hood mould with ornate
finial and head label stops. Battlements, ornate pinnacles and projecting
gargoyles decorate the top. South transept probably remodelled in C15 from a
detached Lady Chapel built c.1275. South front is flanked by 2 C15 four stage
angle buttresses. Beneath rendering is a fragmentary C13 plinth. The stub
of C13 buttress and a blocked and plastered C13 doorway with fragmentary label
stops and the remnants of C13 string course are all set beneath a large C15
window of 4 lights with ogee tracery and 8 small trefoil headed lights under 4
centred hood moulds with olive branch and eagle label stops. West side of
transept has C15 moulded string course under single C13 lancet with hood mould
and simple label stops. South side of aisle has pronounced C15 plinth and string
course and 2 large C14 windows each of 3 cusped lights surmounted by intersecting
ogees, hood moulds and head label stops. C14 porch has C15 ornamentation, a
moulded plinth and string course, angle buttresses of 2 stages with large
projecting gargoyles and ornate pinnacles. C14 moulded doorway with small
semicircular responds with vigorously foliated capitals and hood mould and label
stops. Above is a large C15 empty niche. Inside, the porch has stone benches
and corbel that once supported a lower roof, one with the date inscribed 1631.
C14 west door has columnar responds, vigorously foliated capitals, a moulded
arch including a filleted roll and hood mould with head label stops. C14 wooden
door with blind ogee tracery, cusping and elaborate finials. South aisle
west of porch has moulded plinth, string course and C14 window with intersecting
ogee tracery over 3 cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops. Corbel
heads decorate eaves. South clerestorey has, to the east, a small early C14
window of 2 lights with intersecting ogee tracery. Over the transept, the
original steep pitch of transept roof visible. To the west are 3 early C14
windows each of 3 lights with Y tracery, hood mould and head label stops. The
windows are flanked by slender buttresses of 2 stages with ornate gables.
Grotesque corbel heads decorate the eaves above which runs a C15 frieze of
shields, battlements and ornate pinnacles. West window of south aisle is of
3 lights with early C14 intersecting tracery. Interior tower arch has triple
responds with stiff leaf capitals on south side and vigorously foliated capitals
on north side. A moulded pointed arch and head label stop intact to south.
Above the arch is evidence for an early roof line predating the early C14 clere-
storey. Nave of 3 bays with larger transept bay to east. Piers of c.1300 of
4 shafts with vigorously foliated capitals alternating with 4 slender shafts
without capitals or bases. Double chamfered pointed arches with corbel heads
in spandrels. Early C14 clerestorey windows have hood moulds and head label
stops. C15 panelled wood ceiling with rosettes supported on stone corbels.
South wall of south transept has 3 C13 sedilia and 2 aumbrys. The late C13
doorway is blocked to the west. On the west wall next to the narrow C13 light
with hood mould and head label stops is the fragmentary hood mould of either a
C13 blocked winow or blind arcade. A string course runs beneath. The pointed
double chamfered early C14 chancel arch has caryatid figures on each side set
on the triple responds that have vigorously foliated capitals. A moulded string
course runs beneath the chancel windows. In the south wall is an ornate C15
sedilia with ogee arches, cusping, crockets, shields, heads and battlements.
To the east is a C15 piscina under single cusped ogee arch. In north wall
is an aumbry with elaborate mouldings and filleted rolls. Doorway leading to
north vestry is richly moulded with fillets, hood mould and label stop heads.
On the east wall a large corbel is set in wall. C19 wooden roof. Early C18
altar rail. C14 screen of 3 panels restored in C19. It has ogee tracery with
rosettes, a central 4-centred arch with elaborate cusping. C14 pulpit
restored in C19, with similar tracery and rosettes as on screen decorating 5
panels and a 2 panelled door. Ornate octagonal hood and pulpit supported by
a large octagonal wooden column. C14 hexagonal font with ogee traceried panels,
ornate gables and pinnacles. C19 pews. Various small C18 and C19 monuments.
Listing NGR: SK8455548997
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.