If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193908
OS Grid Reference: SK8785250686
OS Grid Coordinates: 487852, 350686
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0462, -0.6910
Explore more of the area around Fenton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 85 SE FENTON MAIN STREET (west side)
1/19 Church of All Saints
Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1838, restored 1875 and 1888. Coursed
ironstone rubble, Ancaster stone ashlar, blue lias, red brick, some rendering,
lead and slate roofs. West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles,
south porch and rectangular chancel. C15 ashlar west tower of 3 stages with
clasping buttresses. Pronounced plinth mouldings on all 3 sides. First stage,
west front, has C15 windows of 2 cusped and pointed lights with quatrefoil and
mullions above, hood mould and large ornate head label stops. Second stage,
west, north and south sides have single small rectangular windows containing
single quatrefoils. Both stages, north side have small lights illuminating
stairs. Second stage, east side has steep pitch of nave's original roof line
visible. C15 bell openings on all 4 sides with 2 cusped, pointed lights with
quatrefoil and mullions above. Frieze of quatrefoils set in diamonds, battle-
ments, projecting gargoyles and ornate corner pinnacles. C15 octagonal tower
with 2 tiers of ornate lucarnes in alternating directions, crockets, and finial.
Ironstone north aisle with Ancaster stone dressings. C14 window in west front
with 2 cusped lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and grotesque head label
stops. 4 C19 buttresses of 2 stages with curved setoffs and gable tops. C12
round headed, single chamfered blocked doorway with hood mould. C15 window to
east with 2 cusped round headed lights surmounted by 4 small pointed and cusped
lights beneath a 3 centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. To east
a C15 2 light window with pointed and cusped tracery, restored in C19.
Chancel of 1838, of rendered brick with Ancaster stone quoins and dressings.
North side has single round headed light. East end has large rectangular
window of 3 cusped lights. South side has 2 single round headed lights. South
aisle, east front of Ancaster stone with C15 window of 2 pointed and cusped
lights surmounted by 3 mullions and further cusping, hood mould and head label
stops. Buttress to the south of 2 stages with projecting gargoyle above.
South aisle, south front of ironstone with ashlar dressings. Moulded plinth
and eaves. C15 window of 2 round headed cusped lights surmounted by 4 small
pointed and cusped lights beneath a 3-centred hood mould with grotesque head
label stops. C15 porch, east side of ironstone with Ancaster stone dressings,
the west side, of C20 blue lias, both with single deeply splayed openings.
2 centred doorway with hood mould and grotesque head label stops. Interior
stone benches and west doorway with plain 2 centred arch. C15 window to west
of porch of 2 round headed cusped lights surmounted by 4 small pointed and
cusped lights beneath a 3 centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops.
South facing, 2 stage angle buttress. West front of south aisle has pointed
C15 window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil and mullions above. Interior
C15 tower arch with semi-circular responds, five sided capitals and abaci and
simply moulded pointed arch. North arcade of 4 bays. To the west, 2 mid C12
bays with plain chamfered round headed arches, supported by single round pier and
2 semi-circular responds, all with scalloped and beaded capitals. To the east,
2 early C13 bays, one west and one east of screen, with 5 sided responds and
simply moulded round arches. 3 bay south arcade of late C13 with one octagonal
pier. 4 five-sided responds with simply moulded pointed arches. To north east,
a chapel with aumbry and corbel in north wall. Small aumbry in north wall of
chancel and small, mid C12 pier with scalloped capital fixed to south wall.
C15 screen of 4 wooden panels, each divided by a mullion, with perpendicular
tracery with rosettes, and the lower panels with blind tracery and rosettes.
C15 pulpit of 4 panels with reticulated tracery with rosettes and chamfered rail.
Altar rail of c.1730. C19 pews with some C15 bench ends. Table font with
fragments of C13 capitals and bases used in more recent reconstruction .
Plaque of 1888 recording Richard Lucas' bequest of £250 for church repairs.
C19 and C20 timber roofs throughout, re-using some older timbers.
Listing NGR: SK8785250687
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.