If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St. Mary
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193966
OS Grid Reference: SK8928643719
OS Grid Coordinates: 489286, 343719
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9834, -0.6715
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Mary's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Marston, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SK 84 SE MARSTON BRIDGE STREET (east side)
5/77 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. c.1175, late C12, early C13, early C14, C15, 1881-2 by C. Kirk.
Limestone ashlar, ironstone ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble, slate roofs.
West tower and spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, rectangular
chancel and small south east chapel. Early C14 tower of 3 stages of limestone
ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble with plinth, moulded string course and angle
buttresses of 3 stages. West front, first stage has small deeply splayed light
with hood mould and weathered head label stops. South front, first stage has
small deeply splayed light flanked by corbels which supported roof of structure
in south-west corner, now gone. 3 stair turret lights in west corner by south-west
buttress. Second stage, west and south sides have pointed windows each of
2 cusped lights with quatrefoil above and hood mould. West and east openings
each of 2 cusped ogee lights with 3 mouchettes, hood mould and head label stops.
North and south bell openings, each of 2 cusped ogee lights set within 2 cusped
pointed lights. Broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions,
and alternating shields and grotesque heads between the tiers. Early C14
north aisle of ironstone with limestone dressings. Pointed west window of 2
lights with C19 tracery. North side has small plinth and an early C14 moulded
doorway. 2 buttresses, each of 2 stages alternate with two 3-light windows
with intersecting tracery, all of early C14. C19 angle buttress of single
stage and 2 set offs. East end of north aisle has another early C14 3-light
pointed window with intersecting tracery. Limestone ashlar chancel of 1881-2,
with plinth and moulded string course on south side with 2 pairs of pointed
lights with highly decorated shafts, capitals and label stops, flanked by
buttresses each of single stage with 2 setoffs. Corbel table at eaves. East
end has ornate 3 light window flanked by single stage buttresses with 2 setoffs.
Coped gable with finial. South side has pair of ornate lights and corbel table.
C15 south aisle much restored in C19, of ironstone with limestone dressings.
C19 angle buttress of single stage with 2 setoffs. Moulded plinth. Pointed
window of 2 cusped lights with trefoils and mouchettes restored in C19. Small
pointed doorway with plain hood mould. 2 C19 buttresses of single stage with
2 setoffs, alternating with 2 rectangular windows, that to the east of 3 lights,
and to the west of 2 lights, both with reticulated tracery and both restored in
C19. Moulded eaves above. C15 south porch of ironstone with limestone bands,
with moulded plinth, string course and parapet. C15 diagonal buttresses of 2
stages. 4-centred moulded arch with 3 ornate niches above, coped gable with
C19 crosses on south-east and south-west corners. C15 rectangular opening
with single mullion in west wall. Interior of porch flanked by stone benches.
Late C12 south doorway restored in C19, of 2 orders, the innermost of 2 shafts,
the outer of single clusters of 3 shafts, with stiff-leaf capitals, filleted
roll mouldings and head label stops. Porch roof includes C15 timber. West end
of south aisle has single stage C19 angle buttress with 2 setoffs, and large
C15 projecting gargoyle. C15 rectangular west windows with reticulated tracery
completely restored in C19. Early C14 interior tower arch with triple responds
and plainly moulded pointed arch, hood mould and head label stops. 4 bay south
arcade of c.1175, with round piers and double chamfered pointed arches; south-
westernmost capital has some flat leaf carving. 2 pierced almond shaped openings
in spandrels, and small heads. North arcade of c1200, each pier of clustered
shafts with fillets, moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed arches.
C19 heads in spandrels. Small blocked, pointed doorway in south east corner
of north aisle, and remnant of stiff leaf corbel. Ornate C19 corbels support
C19 nave and aisle roofs. Ornate pointed chancel arch of 1881-2, contemporary
round arch into south chapel, with polygonal abaci and very plain moulded jambs.
Roof supported by ornate corbels. Encaustic tiled floor. Windows highly
decorated internally. Aumbry in north wall of 2 pointed arches. Paired
sedilia and piscina in south wall. Ornate reredos of white and green marble.
Ornate arcaded east wall. Pulpit, lectern and choir stalls of 1881-2. Early
C20 pews. In south chapel, a large dresser tomb of pink and white marble
with alabaster recumbent figure flanked by corinthian columns, of Sir Anthony
Thorold, died June 1594. Backing onto it at east end of south aisle, another
dresser tomb of stone and marble with 3 shields in medillions below and quatre-
foil frieze above, of William Thorold, died 1569. Alabaster monument on south
wall to Anne, Lady Hodgson (nee Thorold), died 1719, with ornate crown and apron,
flanking corinthianesque pilasters and draperies. C19 stone panelled font.
Listing NGR: SK8928543720
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.