If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St. Mary
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194187
OS Grid Reference: TF0186022454
OS Grid Coordinates: 501860, 322454
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7901, -0.4909
There is also a scheduled monument, Swinstead Village Cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Swinstead, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SWINSTEAD CREETON ROAD
TF 0022-0122 (east side)
30.10.68 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. c.1200, C13, C14, 1798, 1854 and 1859
restorations. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, lead and slate
roofs. West tower, nave plus clerestory, aisles, chancel, south
porch, vault and boiler house. C13 2 stage tower having corner
buttresses, string course, embattled parapet with pinnacles and
gargoyles. In the belfry stage are paired pointed lights in
chamfered surrounds. In the lower stage are single lancets. C19
2 light west window and in the north aisle a C13 trefoil. C14
north aisle with stepped buttresses and plain parapet having
contemporary moulded door, a pair of 2 light windows, a 3 light
window, all with cusped ogee heads and moulded surrounds.
Clerestory with 4 circular lights having cusped mouchettes. C14
chancel restored 1859 with blocked ogee headed doorway and a pair
of single chamfered 2 light windows, cusped ogee heads and
triskeles. Fine 4 light east window with cusped curvilinear
tracery. The single southern 2 light window matches those to the
north. 1789 vault and boiler room. In the south aisle a small
rectangular fixed light and a 4 light C14 window with quatrefoils
and in the west wall a further 4 light window with reticulated
tracery. C19 ashlar gabled porch having pointed continuously
chamfered outer arch, side benches and a C14 wave moulded inner
doorway. Interior. c.1200 north nave arcade of 3 bays, circular
piers and responds, annular capitals and double chamfered rounded
arches. C14 south arcade, octagonal piers and responds, double
chamfered arches. C14 double chamfered tower arch dying into the
reveals. In the south aisle a C14 piscina with chamfered square
surround and a plain squint in the east wall. There is a further
squint in the north aisle and in the north wall a C14 statue
bracket. Early C13 chancel arch, circular reveals, moulded
annular capitals, double chamfered arch. In the south wall of
the chancel a reset c.1200 double chamfered arch having circular
reveals and capitals with hobnail decoration, also a C14 recut
triple sedilia with ogee heads and human head stops with beyond a
matching double piscina. On the eastern pier of the north nave
arcade are rare armorial paintings of c.1300 in red paint
depicting coats of arms of the benefactors of the church. All
fittings are C19 including the early C14 style font. Monuments.
At the west end of the nave a C13 recumbent effigy of a knight,
cross legged wearing chain mail and a surcoat. On north wall of
chancel a handsome white marble wall tablet in Grecian style to
Brownlow Bertie, 5th Duke of Ancaster, d.1809 by Westmacott.
Depicting deceased and wife on a catafalque with mourning female
figure,flankedby mother, children and angel. Above a scrolled
cornice with Ducal coronet and palm. Beneath a rectangular
inscription panel, flanked by scrolled brackets. Also an
elaborate Gothic aedicule of limestone to Priscilla Bertie,
Baronness Willoughby d'Eresby, died 1828 but erected 1883 on the
death of her daughter, by Forsyth. Above the recessed
inscription an achievement of arms of the Bertie's. The vault of
1798 contains 5 fine coffins of members of the
Ancaster/Willoughby de Eresby family. There is no access into
the vault from within or outside the church. Source: report by
P. B. Grimes and Rev. N. O'Connor following inspection of vault
having entered through roof.
Listing NGR: TF0185822455
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.