If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St. Andrew
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194233
OS Grid Reference: TF1178834244
OS Grid Coordinates: 511788, 334244
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8940, -0.3397
Explore more of the area around Billingborough, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
BILLINGBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
TF 1034-1134 (south side)
4/19 Church of
Parish church. C14, late C15, restored c.1868 and 1891. Coursed
limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs
with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped east chancel gable
and battlemented east nave gable with cross finial. North-west
tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch
and chancel with small projecting organ chamber. Mid C14 north-
west tower with moulded plinth and string courses, 4 stage
buttresses with gabled upper stages. South-west buttress
contains polygonal stair turret with 4 slit stair lights.
Pointed west window with chamfered surround, 2 cusped ogee headed
lights, daggered quatrefoil and hood mould. Slit light above on
west, north and south sides. Clock above on west and east sides.
Moulded string course defines bell stage. Bell openings on all 4
sides each a pointed opening with double chamfered surround, 2
cusped ogee headed lights, daggered quatrefoil and hood mould.
Moulded eaves above with 2 large gargoyles on each side and
smaller sculptural motifs. Battlements above and 4 ornate corner
pinnacles from which spring cusped flyers supporting an octagonal
recessed spire with 3 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating
sides and finial. West front of c.1300 to south of tower with
moulded plinth and string courses. Large pointed west window
with 4 ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould.
Shallow battlemented gable above. West front of south aisle of
c.1300 with moulded plinth and string course. Pointed west
window with mid C14 tracery with 3 cusped, pointed lights, a
large quatrefoil with four long concave sided barbs and hood
mould. Battlements above. Early C14 north aisle with moulded
plinth and string courses. Pointed doorway to west with richly
moulded, continuous surround, hood mould and plank door. 2
windows to east with pointed heads, 3 cusped pointed lights,
geometric tracery restored in C19 and hood mould. Moulded eaves
and later C14 battlements above. East end of north aisle with
pointed head, 2 trefoil headed lights with 3 trefoils above and
hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Immediately to
left is the gabled roof line of original chancel. C15 clerestory
of 6 triangular headed windows each with 3 cusped lights, those
flanking central pointed light with triangular heads, hood
moulds. Moulded eaves, battlements and corner pinnacles above.
Chancel of 1891 with plinth and moulded string course. Gabled,
slightly projecting, organ chamber on north side, with small
pierced quatrefoil. Single lancet to east. East end with 3
stage angle buttresses and moulded string course rising to run
beneath pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, panel
tracery and hood mould. Quatrefoil in gable. South side of
chancel with 2 pointed windows divided by 3 stage buttress, each
with 2 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould.
Pointed doorway immediately to left of buttress, with continuous
moulded surround, hood mould and plank door. East end of early
C14 south aisle with moulded plinth and string course. Pointed
east window with mid C14 tracery with 3 cusped, pointed lights, a
large quatrefoil with 4 long concave sided barbs and hood mould.
Moulded eaves and battlements. South side of aisle with 2
pointed windows each with mid C14 tracery with 3 cusped, pointed
lights, a large quatrefoil with 4 long concave sided barbs and
hood mould. C14 gabled porch with angle buttresses and single 2
light mullion windows in east and west sides. Pointed south
doorway with continuous double chamfered surround. Porch
interior with flanking stone benches and early C14 south doorway
with richly moulded head including filleted rolls, jambs with 2
filleted rolls and rich moulding in between, hood mould and
double plank doors. Small rectangular niche above. Tie beam
porch roof including beam inscribed 1679 THST. Pointed window to
west of porch with 3 lancets and hood mould. C15 clerestory
above with 8 triangular headed windows each with 3 cusped lights,
those flanking central pointed light with triangular heads, hood
mould. Mid C14 tower arches to north aisle and nave with triple
chamfered, pointed heads with hood moulds; triple rolled jambs
with central fillets and moulded capitals. Octopartite ribbed
vault inside tower with central oculus. Early C14 3 bay north
arcade and 4 bay south arcade with double chamfered, pointed
heads, hood moulds and heads in spandrels in north aisles.
Quatrefoil piers with 4 filleted shafts and moulded capitals.
Early C14 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head and
hood mould, 3 roll moulded jambs with filleted central roll. C19
piscina in south wall of chancel with rectangular head filled
with cusped tracery. South aisle of nave with C14 trefoil headed
piscina, with pointed aumbry above with hinged door. Fragmentary
Lord's Prayer board above. C19 reredos, altar rail, pews,
lectern and pulpit. C15 octagonal font with tall octagonal
pedestal and plain basin with hood with angel dated 1942.
Medieval fragments of stained glass in south-east window of south
aisle, including haloed figure in yellow robe. C15 north aisle
roofs, other roofs C19, but with 5 C15 roof corbels in nave.
Monuments include 2 grey and white plaques to John Tavers, died
1802 and John Essington, died 1719; white marble sepulchre
shaped monument to Thomas Strathan, died 1846; ornate white
cartouche with ribbons to Robert Kelham, died 1752, with Latin
inscription; a white and grey marble monument to John Saywell,
died 1777; a white marble monument on black ground with urn and
draperies to Mary Wayet, died 1831; black oval plaque above
containing white marble oval to John Greenham, died 1793; white
marble monument streaked with grey with coat of arms on apron,
to Josephius Burton, died 1761; 3 white and grey plaques with
triangular heads to Thomas Buckberry, died 1828, Mary Buckberry,
died 1809 and Elizabeth Mason, died 1810; a black and white
marble monument to Robert Nicholls, died 1848; 2 diamond shaped
plaques, one with lion head at apex to James Arminger (date of
death illegible) and Edmund Dodsworth, died 1858; oval monument
set in between to Reverend Brownlow Toller, died 1794; a grey
and white marble monument to Rebecca Thomas, died 1838; a white
marble monument on black field to William Westmorland, died 1828;
a white and grey monument to another William Westmorland, died
1819 and a white marble monument to Philippa Foulkes, died 1840.
Several early C19 monuments recording charitable bequests.
Listing NGR: TF1178834244
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.