British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St. Andrew, Dowsby

Description: Church of St. Andrew

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 22 January 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 194253

OS Grid Reference: TF1132829276
OS Grid Coordinates: 511328, 329276
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8495, -0.3483

Location: 58 Main Road, Dowsby, Lincolnshire PE10 0TL

Locality: Dowsby
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE10 0TL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Dowsby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 12 NW
(west side)
7/39 Church of
St. Andrew
G.V. II*

Parish church. Cll, c.1200, mid C13, early C14, C15, C16,
restored 1864. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone
ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials.
West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch,
chancel with north vestry. C15 west tower with moulded plinth
and string course and multi-stage angle buttresses. Polygonal
stair turret to south east with slit lights and quatrefoil panel.
West doorway with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded
surround, hood mould and plank doors. Moulded string course
above and large west window with flattened triangular head, 4
cusped pointed lights and hood mould. String course above and
small rectangular light to left with panel containing shield to
right. East side with rectangular doorway giving access to roof,
and rectangular opening to left, both with chamfered surrounds.
Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a round head, 2 pointed,
cusped lights, hood mould and ornate label stops. Moulded eaves
above with central projecting gargoyles on each face. Clock
below bell opening on south side. Battlements and corner
pedestals of pinnacles no longer extant. North aisle rebuilt
in C19 with moulded plinth and 3 rectangular windows each with 2
cusped ogee headed lights. C19 clerestory above with 3
rectangular windows, each of 2 cusped pointed lights. Vestry to
east with pointed window. North side of chancel with C16
rectangular window with 3 cusped, pointed lights. East end with
2 stage flanking angle buttress. Pointed C19 window with 3
cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. South
side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with 3 pointed,
cusped lights. C19 pointed doorway to left with continuous
chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. East end of south
aisle rebuilt in C19 embedding 4 fragments of Anglo Saxon
sculpture with interlace decoration of various designs.
Fragments surround a blocked rectangular window with inner
pointed, cusped light. South side of south aisle with plinth, 2
stage buttresses and 2 rectangular windows, that to east late
C14, with 3 richly moulded ogee headed lights, that to the west,
C19, with 3 simple, pointed lights. Gabled south porch with
plinth, single stage buttresses and pointed south doorway with
continuous moulded surround. Porch interior flanked by stone
benches and with C14 pointed doorway with continuous moulded
surround, 2 whorls on jambs and double plank doors. West end of
south aisle with pointed window with Y tracery. Slate monument
above, to Jn Westmoreland, died 1814. Interior tower arch with
moulded pointed head, semi-circular responds with broad fillets,
polygonal abaci with castellated abaci. Stair turret doorway in
south wall with moulded triangular head, broad chamfered jambs
and plank door. Mid C13, 3 bay north arcade with triple rolled
responds with fillets, quatrefoil piers with fillets, pointed,
moulded heads, hood moulds with foliate stops in spandrels. Later
C13 south arcade with polygonal responds, octagonal piers and
double chamfered, pointed heads with hood moulds. C19 pointed
chancel arch with moulded head, corbelled responds with half
shafts. North vestry doorway with pointed head, continuous
chamfered surround and plank door. C19 pointed piscina in south
wall. Blocked doorway in south chancel wall with segmental head.
C19 roofs, pews, pulpit and lectern. C19 tomb recess with C14
effigy, possibly of Ethelreda Rigdon under nodding ogee canopy
flanked by angels, angle shafts, angle buttress shafts and
finials; effigy converted to Elizabethan dress at later date.
C19 font with bowl, octagonal pedestal and C20 hood. Monuments
include a grey and white monument with triangular head and apron,
to Humphrey and Mary Hyde, died 1807 and 1811; 2 black and white
marble monuments to Kingsman Baskett St. Barbe, died 1837; and
George Foster, died 1856; a grey and white marble monument to
the Burrell family, undated; a white and grey marble monument to
the Reverend Kingsman Foster, died 1867; a brass plaque on grey
marble, with red and green detailing, to Kingsman Baskett Foster,
died 1896; and a white and black marble monument to Sarah
Parker, died 1840.

Listing NGR: TF1132829276

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.