British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Dunsby

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194259

OS Grid Reference: TF1052126821
OS Grid Coordinates: 510521, 326821
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8276, -0.3611

Location: Main Road, Dunsby, Lincolnshire PE10 0UB

Locality: Dunsby
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE10 0UB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Dunsby Village Cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Dunsby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 12 NW (south side)
7/45 Church of All
30.10.68 Saints
G.V. I

Parish church. Early C12, c.1200, C14, restored 1857. Coursed
limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate and lead
roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower,
nave with north and south aisles, south porch and chancel with
north organ chamber. Early C14 west tower with moulded plinth
and string course. 3 stage angle buttresses with each stage
defined by ornate crocketed and finialled gables springing from
human and angel busts and animal heads. Slit stair lights
immediately to left of south-west buttress. Pointed west window
with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. Moulded string course above and
narrow rectangular light with chamfered surround to west and
north. Niche above on west side with crocketed and finialled
gable and late C13 figure of Christ in cusped, round headed
opening. Moulded string course defines bell stage above with
bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, double
chamfered surround and 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with
quatrefoil. Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles, battlements
above. C19 north aisle with doorway to right with pointed head,
continuous chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. Window
to left with segmental head, 3 cusped pointed lights and hood
mould. 2 similar windows beyond. East end of north aisle with
pointed doorway with chamfered surround, hood mould and plank
door. Clerestory with C19 fenestration with 4 windows each with
a flattened triangular head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and hood
mould. Moulded eaves above. East end of chancel flanked by 2
stage angle buttresses. Pointed east window restored in C19,
with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. South side of chancel plain except
for slate memorial to Richard Casswell, died 1845. East end of
C19 south aisle plain, south side with 2 pointed windows with 2
plate trefoil headed lights and quatrefoil. Gabled porch to west
with C13 doorway with double chamfered pointed head, polygonal
responds, hood mould and head label stops. Porch interior
flanked by stone benches with single blocked rectangular windows
to east and west, the former with fragments of medieval tracery
on sill. Late C12 south doorway restored in C19, with pointed,
moulded head with fillets, jambs including single flanking shafts
with damaged crocket capitals, hood mould with C19 head label
stops and plank door. To west of porch another pointed window
with 2 plate trefoil headed lights and quatrefoil. C20 lean-to
to west. Clerestory with 4 C19 windows each with flattened
triangular head, 2 cusped ogee lights and hood mould. Early C14
interior tower arch with triple chamfered head, triple rolled
jambs with continuous richly foliate capitals, hood mould and
head label stops. Original roof line of nave visible above with
flanking corbels. 4 bay north aisle of c.1200 with polygonal
responds, octagonal piers, pointed double chamfered heads and
hood moulds with rosettes in spandrels. Late C12 south arcade
with polygonal responds, round piers with octagonal abaci,
pointed double chamfered heads, hood moulds and rosettes in
spandrels. Chancel arch of c.1200 with pointed, double chamfered
head, polygonal responds with beaded polygonal capitals and hood
mould with head label stops. North organ chamber archway of
c.1300 with pointed, moulded head with keeled responds with
fillets and richly foliate capitals, hood moulds on both north
and south sides with head label stops. In organ chamber, now
vestry is the remnant of an early C12 pilaster buttress. In
north aisle of nave is a corbel with castellated decoration. C19
roofs, altar rail, pulpit, lectern and pews. C15 octagonal font
on octagonal plinth and pedestal, an inscription carried round in
the fields: "Jesus Christ Maria Baptista", and in the 8th panel:
"priur" interpreted as "in principio". Monuments include one in
white marble with broken pediment and flaming urn, to Martha
Baskett, died 1746; another in white and grey marble to Caroline
Waters, died 1841; another in black and gold with urn by
Phillips of Bourne, to Irton Murthwaite, died 1793; and an oval
white monument to Elizabeth Fothergil, died 1811. Source:
Associated Architectural Society Reports, Volume 6. 1861. p.X.

Listing NGR: TF1052126821

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.