British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St. Andrew, Haconby

Description: Church of St. Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194325

OS Grid Reference: TF1067225262
OS Grid Coordinates: 510672, 325262
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8136, -0.3594

Location: Church Street, Haconby, Lincolnshire PE10 0UT

Locality: Haconby
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE10 0UT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Haconby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 12 NW
(south side)
7/111 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew
G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, c.1300, C15, restored C19.
Coursed ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some render. Plain
tile roofs with some decorative red ridge tiles and stone coped
gables with cross finials. West tower and spire, nave with north
and south aisles and south porch, chancel with north chapel.
West tower of c.1300 with ironstone and limestone banding.
Plinth, moulded string course and 4 stage angle buttresses with
stair turret in south-west corner with 4 slit stair lights.
Small pointed west window with Y tracery and lower, barely
pointed lights, hood mould and head label stops. East side with
doorway giving access to nave roof with flat head, chamfered
surround and plank door. Recessed bell stage with bell openings
on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head and 2 cusped, pointed
lights divided by a single shaft with rich foliate capital,
quatrefoil above and hood mould with head label stops. Moulded
eaves above with numerous corbel heads. C15 parapet above with
frieze of circles inscribed with diamonds. Recessed octagonal
spire with 4 polygonal pinnacles at its base, with gabled sides
and finials. 3 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating sides,
each with crocketed gable, 2 cusped pointed lights and
quatrefoil. Spire topped by finial with weathervane. Late C15
north aisle with plinth, moulded string course and regularly
placed 2 stage buttresses with upper gabled set offs. West end
of north aisle with window with shallow pointed head, 3 cusped,
pointed lights and hood mould. North side with doorway to west
with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround, hood
mould and plank door. 2 windows to east, both with shallow
pointed heads, 3 cusped, pointed lights and hood mould. C15
clerestory above with 3 windows each with flattened triangular
heads and 2 cusped, pointed lights. Moulded eaves and
battlements above. Late C15 north chapel with plinth, moulded
string courses and regularly positioned 2 stage buttresses with
upper, gabled setoffs. Easternmost buttress contains plain empty
niche. Basket arch to west with bowtell moulded surround and
divided into 3 by 2 thick moulded mullions rising from ground
level. 2 narrow cusped, pointed lights flanked by single
cusped pointed lights, while below, between the mullions in a
pointed doorway with a continuous moulded surround and plank
door. 2 windows to east with basket heads, bowtell moulded
surrounds and 4 cusped, pointed lights. East front of north
chapel with 3 stage buttresses with upper gabled setoffs,
flanking window with basket head and 3 pointed, cusped lights.
Moulded eaves and parapet run continuously for the full length of
north aisle and chapel. East front of chancel with moulded
string course running under pointed late C14 window restored in
C19, with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood
mould. Cusped oculus above and 2 stage diagonal buttress to
south. South side of chancel with ironstone and limestone
banding, plinth and 2 two stage buttresses. Window to east with
basket head, 3 cusped, pointed lights and hood mould. Mid C12
blocked doorway to west with semi-circular head and chamfered
surround. Long C17 rectangular window to west with smaller
rectangular window above. C15 south aisle with plinth and
moulded string courses. East end with window with shallow
pointed head, 3 cusped, pointed heads and hood mould. South side
with 2 stage buttresses with upper gabled setoffs alternating
with 2 windows with shallow pointed heads, 3 cusped pointed
lights, hood mould and label stops. C15 gabled porch to west
with plinth and moulded string course, large battlements with
cross finial. West and east walls with single pierced
quatrefoils and 2 fragmentary finials on each interior window
sill. Pointed south doorway with moulded head, semi-circular
jambs with moulded capitals and polygonal abaci. Porch interior
flanked by stone benches. C15 interior doorway with flattened
triangular head, continuous moulded surround, rectangular hood
mould with frieze of quatrefoil in spandrels below and large
label stops containing shields. West end of south aisle with
shallow pointed head, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, hood mould
with label stops. Moulded eaves and parapet run full length of
aisle. C15 clerestory with 3 windows with flattened triangular
heads and 2 cusped pointed lights. Interior tower arch of c.1300
with quadruple chamfered head with 2 outer orders dying into
rectangular jambs, 2 inner orders having continuous chamfers
running down jambs, hood mould. South-west corner of tower with
doorway with rectangular head, chamfered surround and plank door.
Early C13 three bay north and south arcades with polygonal
responds, round piers on polygonal plinths and moulded capitals;
double chamfered pointed heads, hood moulds and heads in
spandrels. South aisle with early C15 piscina with ogee shaped
head, continuous rolled surround and freestanding, crudely carved
bowl with slender roll mouldings at each corner. East wall of
south aisle with fragmentary corbel. C15 roof over nave with tie
beams resting on ashlar, castellated corbels; aisle roofs
heavily restored in C19 and C20. Pointed C13 chancel arch with
double chamfered head, polygonal responds with polygonal moulded
capitals and abaci running into string course on either side.
Four centred C15 tomb recess in north wall of chancel giving
access to north chapel; with soffit decorated with blind panel
tracery; hood mould and shield label stops. Doorway to left
with pointed head and rectangular hood mould with foliage and
shields in spandrel below, plank door. Aumbry in north wall with
square, roll moulded surround and double plank doors. South wall
of chancel with piscina with ogee shaped head and continuous
chamfered surround. Blocked doorway to west with brass plaque
inserted, monument to Samuel Hopkinson,died 1841, and his wife
Elizabeth, with ornate pair of canopies with black, red and blue
detailing designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, and made by
Hardman and Iliffe. North chapel with stone benches running round north and
east walls. Mullions of windows are carried down below level of
windows to benches with blind traceried panels in between.
Doorway flanked by mullions running down from window above.
South wall of chapel with piscina with ogee shaped head and
continuous moulded surround. C18 altar rail with turned
balusters and moulded handrail; 2 central sections removed from
in front of high altar to a similar position in north chapel.
Late C14 chest with rich traceried front including simple foliate
motifs and eagles entwined, and 2 flanking bands carved with
winged dragons; panelled lid with locks and studded iron bands
intact. C15 panelled chest with studded iron bands and various
locks. C14 polygonal pulpit with painted panels removed for
restoration, and polygonal wooden spreading base. Late C12 drum
font with round C20 plinth, round pedestal with small shafts at
each corner and square plan. C19 lectern and choir stalls. C20
chairs. Monument in north wall of tower of ashlar set on corbels
to John Audeley, died 1648, with rhyming acrostic.

Listing NGR: TF1067225262

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.