British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St. Michael, Langtoft

Description: Church of St. Michael

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194484

OS Grid Reference: TF1234112552
OS Grid Coordinates: 512341, 312552
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6990, -0.3390

Location: E End, Langtoft, Lincolnshire PE6 9LP

Locality: Langtoft
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE6 9LP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Langtoft, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(north side)

6/99 Church of
30.10.68 St. Michael

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C13, C13, C14, C15, 1737, 1780, 1859.
Coursed and squared limestone rubble and ashlar, lead and
Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave,
aisles, chancel, south porch, south and north chapels. Tall 3
stage C13 ashlar tower, offset to north side, having clasping
buttresses, chamfered string courses, plain corbelled parapet,
set back spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. The belfry stage has
tall paired C14 ogee headed lights with quatrefoils in moulded
surrounds. The south side has a blocked chamfered arch with
human head stops now containing a planked door and window and to
first floor a segmental headed opening. In the west side are
single lancets to the lower stages, and a single light to the
middle stage on the north side. The C14 coursed limestone rubble
with lead roofs north aisle and nave have fleuron friezes and
embattled parapets. The aisle and clerestorey have large 3 light
panel traceried windows, 3 below and 4 above. Also a pointed and
chamfered C13 doorway. The lead rainwater hoppers to nave roof
are dated 1737 and 1780. C19 vestry with 2 lancets to the north
side. In the north wall of the chancel which has a Collyweston
slate roof is a 3 light late C13 window. Chancel east wall has 3
stepped C19 lancets. The south wall has 3 tall C14 3 light
windows with cusped heads to the lights, square surrounds and
human head stops. The south aisle and clerestorey match those to
the north. The south porch has been refronted mid C18 with
ashlar classical front comprising plain frieze supported on
paired Doric columns in antis. Semi-circular doorway has moulded
imposts and a jewelled keyblock. Side benches. C14 inner door
with continuously moulded surround and hood. In the west wall of
the nave is a very large transomed 5 light C15 panel traceried
window with cusping. Below a continuously moulded doorway and
hood and in the south aisle west wall a smaller 3 light window
also panel traceried. Interior. 4 bay C13 nave arcades with
quatrefoil piers, circular abaci, double chamfered arches, the
responds on the north side have foliate capitals. The nave tie
beam roof is C16 with moulded principals, curved braces to wall
posts with corbels with human demi figures. In the east wall of
the north aisle an early C13 lancet above a chamfered arch
matching that to the south. Also in the south aisle a pointed
and chamfered piscina. C13 chancel arch, chamfered and roll
moulded with annular capitals. To either side are doorways to
the rood loft. The chancel has 2 double chamfered C13 arches to
the north and one to the south. Beyond to the south are 2 C14
arches with quatrefoil pier, foliate capitals and responds, one
incorporating a grotesque. In the eastern respond is a trefoiled
piscina with a crocketed gablette. In the south chapel is a
further similar piscina in the south wall. In the north wall of
the chancel is a C14 aumbry with arched continuously moulded
surround and in the vestry can be seen a further trefoil headed
piscina and in the west wall a round headed single chamfered
window, probably C12. The chancel has a C14 arch braced roof on
embattled corbels with brattished wall plate with fleurons,
moulded principals and bosses. The church retains much of its C16
clear glass. Fittings. Fine late C17 octagonal pulpit with
ogee base to twisted stem, fluted angle pilasters and moulded
cornice with acanthus scrolls. The raised and fielded panels
have tarsia infill bearing Sacred Monogram. The inlaid tester
also with scrolled and dentillated frieze is reused as a table in
the south aisle. In the nave a large ornate chandelier with 3
tiers of candle holders dated 1759. The C18 font has octagonal
bowl with shallow fluted base supported on a shaped fluted and
gadrooned stem. Monuments. In the chancel a small wall plaque
to Elizabeth Moulsworth, d.1618. Kneeling figure in arched
alabaster surround with escutcheon. On the north side an ashlar
plaque with open pediment and urn on Composite pilasters to John
Headley, d.1755. In the chancel floor a brass plaque in a black
marble slab to Sarah Walcot, d.1651. In the south chapel a pair
of matching wall plaques in marble having segmental open
pediments with escutcheons supported on fluted Corinthian
columns. Draped inscription panels, one to William Hyde, d.1703,
and the other to William Hyde Senior who d.1694. In the west
wall of the porch an ashlar plaque to Dorothy Nicholas, d.1619.

Listing NGR: TF1234212555

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.