British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St. Guthlac, Market Deeping

Description: Church of St. Guthlac

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194500

OS Grid Reference: TF1368210312
OS Grid Coordinates: 513682, 310312
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6786, -0.3199

Location: 13 B1524, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire PE6 8DA

Locality: Market Deeping
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE6 8DA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Market Deeping, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(east side)

12/115 Church of
30.10.68 St. Guthlac

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, early C14, 1440, C15,
c.1500, 1875 restoration by James Fowler of Louth. Ashlar,
coursed, limestone rubble, lead roofs. Western tower,
clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, vestry. 3 stage
tower of 1440, having clasping buttresses and embattled parapet.
In the south wall is a pointed niche with grotesque mark and to
the middle stage a 2 light window. In the belfry stage are large
2 light windows with 2 tiers of louvred openings, trefoil heads
and quatrefoils. To the south side only is a portcullis over the
window, and a painted sundial originally 1710, restored 1880 and
1980. 2 light windows in all upper stages. The west wall has
a chamfered4 centred arched door and 3 light panel traceried
window. In the west walls of the north and south aisles is a 3
light C15 window with cusped heads and 4 centred arched surround.
The C15 aisle has bell moulded plinth and moulded parapet, the
north aisle has 2 light windows, only that at the west end is C15
and cusped, the other 3 are of 1877 restoration. The aisle is
dated 1877. The nave clerestory has a battlemented parapet with
coved cornice bearing fleurons, 4 two light windows, trilobe
heads and quatrefoils. In the vestry a reset early C15 pointed
doorway with moulded surround and hood, and a 2 light C19 window
in north and east walls. The large chancel C15 east window is of
5 lights, arranged in 2 tiers with panel tracery and cusping to
the heads and transoms. Chancel south wall of c.1500 has 3 three
light windows divided by stepped buttresses, with cusped heads
and moulded pointed surround and contemporary doorway with
moulded surround. In the south aisle east wall is a 2 light C14
cusped ogee window with cambered head, and in the south wall a
C14 2 light Y tracery window with beyond to the east a broad C15
2 light window with cusped head and quatrefoil. The clerestory
matches that to the south. Early C13 gabled porch with double
chamfered pointed outer arch with shafted reveals and circular
capitals. Cast iron side benches. Porch gates of c.1875 by
Colman of Market Deeping. Inner late C12 rounded headed doorway
with single angle shafts with waterleaf capitals and keeled roll
moulding to the head. The C19 double doors have reset scrolled
and floriated early C13 ironwork hinge pieces. In the porch a
fragment of late C10 Anglo Saxon tomb cover withsingle strand
interlace panels. Early C13 coped and tapering grave cover with
floriated cross and horseshoe ribbons to the centre, and a
fragment of a late C13 tomb cover with elaborately decorated
cross head and raised flowers. Interior. Tower arch of 1440 has
shafted reveals, with bell moulded bases, embattled and octagonal
capitals, moulded and pointed arch with hood having C19 stops.
Late C12 3 bay north arcade having quatrefoil piers and responds,
circular abaci, double chamfered round arches, chamfered hoods.
C13 south arcade also with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals,
double chamfered pointed arches and hood. Early C14 piscina in
south aisle with cusped ogee head and trefoil hood. In the east
wall an aumbry and statue bracket. In the north aisle a cusped
headed piscina with pointed hood and above a C15 4 centred arched
opening to rood loft, and in the east wall a pointed archway with
one probably reset late C12 waterleaf angle shaft. Late C15
grotesque corbels to nave roof. Chancel arch of 1875 with
sandstone wall shafts supporting double chamfered arch with
moulded hoods, the shaft bases with bird carvings. In the
chancel north wall is a reset C15 archway with octagonal reveals
and capitals. Beyond to the east a reset tomb recess with
relieving arch. In the south wall a square aumbry and early C16
double sedilia and priests' door, with scrolled crocketed
gablettes and to the east, a C14 piscina with crocketed ogee
arched head with floriate terminal. In the east wall 2 C14
niches with ogee canopies, now contain C19 plaster figures of St.
Hugh and St.Guthlac. Behind the latter a fine mosaic C19 reredos
depicting a stepped cross, flanked by kneeling angels. The
chancel also has grotesque corbels, and retains the moulded
principals and rafters of the c.1500 roof which is enriched with
angel supporters, carrying books and scrolls. Stained glass in
the south chancel wall depicting the life of St. Guthlac of 1878
and 1908 by H. Hughes. In the north aisle a fine 2 light stained
glass window of 1920 in grisaille glass depicting St. Michael and
St. Gabriel, by H. Hendry. All fittings are 1875, including the
facetted wooden pulpit and brass eagle lectern. Recut C15
octagonal font with cusped shields and quatrelobes to the sides,
and trefoils on the base. Monuments. In the south wall of the
chancel a wall tablet to William Bailey d.1812 in slate with
draped marble urn over. In the north wall of the chancel a mid
C13 coped and tapered grave slab bearing a cross fleury and
foliate stem with tailed terminal.

Listing NGR: TF1368210312

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.