If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Helen
Date Listed: 9 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195271
OS Grid Reference: TF2225186406
OS Grid Coordinates: 522251, 386406
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3604, -0.1644
Explore more of the area around Burgh on Bain, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
BURGH ON BAIN MAIN ROAD
TF 28 NW
6/19 Church of
9.3.67 St. Helen
Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C16 and restoration 1871/2.
Coursed and squared limestone rubble. Slate roofs. Western
tower, nave, aisles, chancel. The 3 stage tower of squared
rubble has stepped buttresses to west face only, and battlemented
parapet with corner pinnacles. On the south side is a
rectangular light which reuses ovolo moulded mullions in the
surround. To the top stage is a triangular headed window with
moulded surround. Above the clock is the date 1871. The west
door is C19 and double chamfered and above are 2 lights as the
south side. In the north wall a single window to the second
stage. There are a number of fragments of reused masonry in the
walls of the tower including 3 pieces of C12 chevron moulding.
In the west wall of the north aisle is a fragment of C14 cusped
tracery. The north west angle of the aisle has massive quoins
and immediately to the east is a blocked C11 round headed
doorway, possibly reset. In the north wall also are 2 C16
windows one of 3 and one of 4 lights, much restored. In the east
wall is a C19 2 light window. In the chancel are 2 C16 3 light
windows, all with trefoil heads to the lights, to the north and
to the east a C19 window of 3 lights. The south wall matches the
north, and there is a 2 light C19 window in the east wall of the
south aisle, to the right of this window the massive quoins of an
earlier nave can be seen. The south wall has 2 C14 windows of 3
and 4 lights, both with cusped ogee heads to the lights,
chamfered square surrounds and hoods. The south doorway is C14
with outer chamfered surround and a hollow chamfered inner order,
both with moulded imposts. Interior. Early C13 2 bay south nave
arcade having octagonal pier and engaged collared angle shafts,
moulded capital, keeled responds and double chamfered arches.
The north arcade is a C19 copy of that to the south. The C11
tower arch has a plain rounded head and chamfered imposts. The
chancel arch has double chamfers and dies into its facetted
reveals. The nave and aisle walls have unusual elaborate carved
stone texts of the 1871 restoration, some of which have Gothic
surrounds and details. On the chancel north wall is a white
marble plaque recording the restoration of the church in 1871/2
in memory of Flora Zoe Fox. In the south aisle is a single
chamfered pointed niche, and in the north aisle the round headed
rear arch of a doorway is visible at the west end of the north
wall. C19 stained glass in chancel. All fittings are C19
including stone altar rails, octagonal font and facetted ashlar
pulpit. The wooden lectern reuses a handsome late C17 Corinthian
capital with fine acanthus leaves and shells. Monuments. In the
tower is a wall monument with white marble base and grey
sarcophagus, flanked by heraldic cartouches and supporting an
obelisk bearing a pair of oval carved panels of Thomas Pindar
d.1741 and his wife, Ann. Also a semi-circular headed marble
plaque with base and sunk circular heraldic panel commemorating
late C18 members of the Lister family of Girsby Hall. The base
contains a sunk segmental headed panel containing 3 Grecian urns.
The lectern capital could possibly come from the London Wren
Church of St. Mildred in the Poultry, other fragments of this
demolished building have been found in this area, notably at
Thorpe Hall, South Elkington.
Listing NGR: TF2225186406
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.