If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Julian
Date Listed: 14 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 195376
OS Grid Reference: TF2094181786
OS Grid Coordinates: 520941, 381786
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3192, -0.1859
Explore more of the area around Benniworth, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
BENNIWORTH CHURCH LANE
TF 18 SW
3/1 Church of
Parish church. Mid C12, mid C13, 1769, 1812, almost entirely
rebuilt 1875 by James Fowler. Coursed greenstone rubble,
limestone ashlar dressings, some ironstone rubble. Slate roofs
with decorative red ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross-
finials. West tower, nave with north and south transepts,
chancel with north vestry. 3 stage C12 west tower heavily
restored in C19, with single stage clasping buttresses with
plinth. C12 west door heavily restored in C19 with flattened
round head with double chevroned inner order and soffit, single
order of billet and outer hollow and roll partially overlapped by
rich cusping. Outer plain rectangular jambs with moulded
imposts, inner double chevroned jambs. Plank doors. Slit light
above with round relieving arch. Moulded string course above and
below slit light above. Bell stage with bell openings on all 4
sides, each with 2 round headed, narrow lights, each with hood
mould. Moulded eaves, parapet and pyramidal slate roof with
weathervane. North side of nave with lancet with hood mould.
North transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875, with plinth and
string course. North side with central 2 stage buttress with
plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets with hood moulds and
vesica with hood mould above. C19 north vestry with 2 light
rectangular window. East doorway with Caernarvon head and
plank door. Chancel of 1769 and 1812 mostly rebuilt in 1875. 2
stage angle buttresses flank east end with string course and 3
eastern lancets, that in centre, taller, each with hood mould.
South side of chancel with plinth and moulded string course. 2
stage buttress flanked by single lancets, each with hood mould.
Stone set to east of buttress inscribed "GPAC 26 1812". South
transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875. East side with large
pilaster buttress and string course. South side of transept with
plinth, string course, central 2 stage buttress with moulded
plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets each with hood mould.
Vesica with hood mould, above. 2 plaques with workman's names
inscribed in plaster recording restoration work in 1983. South
side of nave with high C12 string course with narrow, round
headed light below to east. Pair of lancets break through string
course to west, both with hood moulds. Porch interior with C19
round headed ironstone doorway with chamfered imposts and
rectangular jambs. Plank doors. C19 2 bay arcades to north and
south transepts, each with central round pier, corbelled responds
and double chamfered pointed heads. Mid C13 chancel arch with
pointed, double chamfered head, polygonal responds, moulded
capitals, large abaci and high plinths. C19 north vestry doorway
with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, filleted hood mould
with ornate label stops. C19 aumbry to east. South wall with
high panelled seat set into wall beneath window. C19 reredos
with cusped, traceried panels, C19 altar rail. C15 screen very
heavily restored in 1905 with C15 moulded wood vertical supports
and horizontal rail, C19 cusped traceried panels, re-using C15
rosettes, 6 C19 statues alternating with coats of arms. C19 wood
cross above central archway. C19 wagon roofs, polygonal wooden
pulpit and lecturn. C12 round font with interesecting arcading,
very heavily restored in C19. Dr. G. C. Tennyson, father of
Alfred, Lord Tennyson, was rector 1802-31, although absentee in
later years. Source: Lincoln Public Library. Ross Manuscript.
Volume X Wraggoe, p.56.
Listing NGR: TF2094181786
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.