If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 6 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 195384
OS Grid Reference: TF1657981490
OS Grid Coordinates: 516579, 381490
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3175, -0.2514
Explore more of the area around East Barkwith, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
EAST BARKWITH CHURCH LANE
TF 18 SE
2/9 Church of
Parish church. Early C12, mid C13, mid C15, C17, 1846 by J. B.
Atkinson, 1868-9 by R. J. Withers. Coursed ironstone rubble,
coursed limestone rubble, greenstone rubble blocks, limestone
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and
stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with
north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north vestry,
south organ chamber. Plinth runs round entire church. Mid C15
ironstone 3 stage west tower with 2 lower moulded string courses
and diagonal 3 stage buttresses. Pointed west window with
bowtell moulded surround, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, vertical
tracery with some crenellated decoration, hood mould and head
label stops. 2 moulded string courses above. C17 bell openings
on all 4 sides, each a pair of rectangular lights divided by
filleted mullion. Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles, broad
battlements and small ornate pinnacles on corners. North aisle
of 1868-9. Rectangular west window with single ogee cusped
light, 2 cusped oculi and rectangular window. 2 stage diagonal
buttress. 2 three light windows with 2 light window to right and
2 light window to left, all with cusped ogee heads, cusped oculi
and rectangular hood moulds. Parapet above. 2 stage buttress to
east. North vestry of 1868-9 with pointed north doorway with
chamfered surround and plank door. 2 light rectangular east
window with ogee cusped heads and rectangular hood mould.
Chancel of 1846 with moulded string course. North side with
single narrow rectangular window with cusped, pointed head and
rectangular hood mould. Pointed east window with 3 cusped and
pointed lights, vertical tracery and hood mould. South side with
rectangular 2 light window with cusped pointed heads and hood
mould. Gabled organ chamber of 1868 to west with string course
and diagonal 2 stage buttresses. South window with rectangular
window with 2 pointed, cusped lights and rectangular hood mould.
South side of nave rebuilt in 1868 with 2 rectangular windows,
that to right of 2 lights, to left of 3 lights, and with ogee
cusped lights, cusped oculi and rectangular hood mould. C15
gabled south porch with small windows in east and west sides,
each of 2 small, pointed cusped lights cut out of single stone.
Pointed south doorway with moulded head and jambs in one, hood
mould, head label stops, that to east, C19. Niche above with
ornate canopy, Virgin and Child and angel corbel. Porch interior
with flanking wooden settles. C15 pointed south doorway with
moulded head and jambs in one and plank door. South side of nave
to west of porch with rectangular window of 2 cusped, ogee headed
lights with 4 cupsed oculi above and rectangular hood mould.
West end of south aisle with C19 lancet with chamfered surround.
Tall C15 interior tower arch with pointed head and richly moulded
jambs in one. North arcade of 1868-9 of 4 bays with double
chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal piers, semi-circular western
respond and polygonal eastern respond. Mid C13 ironstone south
arcade of 4 bays with double chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal
piers, semi-circular western respond and polygonal eastern
respond. Vestry doorway in east end of north aisle with pointed
head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Organ chamber
archway in east end of south aisle with C19 pointed, chamfered
head and rectangular jambs. C15 pointed chancel arch with richly
moulded head and jambs in one. Chancel with north vestry doorway
with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door.
Organ arch to south with pointed head and narrow chamfered
surround in one. C19 piscina to east with cusped ogee openings
to west and north divided by plain column. C19 roofs with ornate
ashlar corbels. Broad plaster band runs round chancel with
vineleaf and grape decoration. C19 reredos of 3 painted wooden
panels with censing angels flanking crucifix. C19 altar rail,
lecterns, C20 pews. Metal gilt pulpit by Christopher Turnor with
panels decorated with vine leaves and grapes. C15 octagonal font
on spurred plinth, tall octagonal base, bowl with heads, fleurons
and shields. Fragments of medieval glass incorporated into C19
window to left of altar.
Listing NGR: TF1657981490
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.