If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 9 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195390
OS Grid Reference: TF1802384485
OS Grid Coordinates: 518023, 384485
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3441, -0.2287
Explore more of the area around Hainton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
HAINTON CHURCH LANE
TF 18 SE
2/15 Church of
Parish church. Cll, late C13, c.1763 possibly by Capability
Brown, heavily restored in 1848 by Willson. Coursed ironstone
and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs.
West tower, nave with north and south aisles and south porch,
chancel with north chapel. Plinth runs round entire church.
Cll west tower, refurbished in mid C14 and heavily restored in
C19. 2 stage diagonal buttresses. C19 west doorway with
pointed head, moulded surround in one, hood mould and plank door.
South side with Cll key window. Bell stage recessed with lower
lancet on north side with chamfered surround and clock on south
side. Bell openings on all 4 sides above, each a pointed opening
with paired, cusped ogee headed lights with reticulated
quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with spouts and
large corner gargoyles. Battlements above with corner cross
finials. Recessed octagonal spire, probably of 1763 by Capability
Brown, with east doorway with ogee finialled head and plank door.
3 tiers of lucarnes with ogee finialled heads. Weather vane.
West side of north aisle with single window with flattened
triangular head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights with trefoil and
hood mould. Parapet above. 2 stage diagonal buttress. North
side of aisle with C19 pointed doorway to west with chamfered
head and late C13 chamfered jambs, and hood mould. 3 two stage
buttresses to east alternate with 2 windows, both with flattened
trianguler heads, 3 cusped ogee lights and mouchettes. Moulded
eaves and battlements above. North chapel with 4 two stage
buttresses alternating with 3 C19 windows, each with flattened
triangular head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights with trefoils, hood
moulds with label stops. Moulded eaves and battlements above.
East end of north chapel with single C19 window with flattened
triangular head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights with trefoils, hood
mould and label stops. Battlemented gable above with cross
finial. East end of chancel with single C19 window with
flattened triangular head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights, hood
mould and label stops. Gabled parapet above with cross finial.
South side of chancel with 3 two stage buttresses alternating
with 2 C19 rectangular windows each of 3 ogee headed, cusped
lights, rectangular hood mould and label stops. Moulded eaves
and battlements above. East end of south aisle of nave with
single C19 window with flattened triangular head, 2 cusped ogee
headed lights, trefoil, hood mould and label stops. Parapet
above. Diagonal 2 stage buttress. South side of nave with 2 C19
windows both with flattened triangular heads each with 3 cusped,
ogee headed lights, hood mould and label stops. Windows flanked
by 2 stage buttress. Moulded eaves and battlements above.
Gabled south porch with mid C14 rectangular windows in east and
west sides, both with cusped reticulated tracery. Pointed south
doorway with deeply moulded surround, keeled hood mould and
ornate C19 label stops. Porch interior flanked by stone
benches, C19 south doorway with pointed head and richly moulded
jambs in one, hood mould, ornate label stops and plank doors.
West end of south aisle with single window with flattened
triangular head with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould.
Parapet above. Organ set in interior tower arch. 3 bay north
and south arcades mostly by Willson with pointed, double
chamfered heads, octagonal piers, polygonal responds and moulded
capitals. Late C12 crocket capital re-set in west wall by north
arcade respond. Late C13 corbel heads over north and south
doors. Heavily restored chancel arch in mid-late C13 style with
pointed, double chamfered head. Broad polygonal north respond:
round filleted south respond with octagonal capital. C19
traceried screen. Late C13 archway leading from north aisle to
chapel with double chamfered pointed head supported on corbels.
C17 railings. South wall of chancel with pointed late C13
piscina. Reredos of c1918 in green and beige marble with grapes
and vine leaves. North side of chancel with pointed double
chamfered arcade bay, blocked with doorway inserted with round
head, moulded architrave, scrolled keystone and '1694' inscribed.
C17 gateway. C19 octagonal font with cusped panels, individual
motifs and tall, cusped open-work hood. Cl9 pews with finialled
bench ends. C19 octagonal pulpit with cusped traceried panels.
C19 lectern and altar rail. C19 tie beam roofs. Monument on
north wall of chancel to John Heneage, died 1530 and wives,
Purbeck marble tomb chest with unusual, cusped decoration. Back
wall with brass effigies of Heneage and wives kneeling at prieu-
dieu with inscriptions issuing from mouths. Low arch and
cresting above. Monument on north wall of chancel to Frances
Heneage, died 1807, by Bacon Junior; white marble with 5
children playing by urn, the eldest with garland, their mother
above with cherubs in the clouds. South side of chancel, grey
and white marable monument to George Heneage, died 1833, by S.
Manning, with urn and draperies. North chapel with tomb on west
wall to John Heneage, died 1559 and wife Anne, died 1587; of
stone with table tomb with coats of arms below, and above
kneeling figures face each other over prieu-dieu, he in armour,
both wearing ruffs and flanked by fluted columns. Round headed
arches with raised keystones, and rich cresting above. Monument
on south wall of north chapel to Sir William Heneage, died 1610
and 2 wives, Anne 1585 and Jane 1596, of pink streaked and grey
marble. Figures kneel before prieu-dieu, opposite each other. 2
bearded sons and 2 daughters kneel below. Large crest above with
flanking scenes of Adam and Eve, and Resurrection. Free standing
pink, yellow streaked and grey marble monument with alabaster
recumbent effigy of Sir George Heneage, died 1595. Ornate
strapwork and coats of arms on tomb. Brasses set in floor to
south-west, of John Heneage, died 1435, .pa
and his wife Anna. Monument by Bertuccini each of north doorway,
to George Heneage, died 1731, of white marble with flanking
winged skulls, cross bones and hour glasses, ornate apron with
cartouche, upper garlanded urn with cherub. Monument to east to
George Heneage, died 1731, with large classical bust with wives'
busts below. Single small marble monuments flank monument to
wives, Mary, died 1717, and Elizabeth, died 1725. Tall grey and
white monument on east wall to George Heneage, died 1864, with
weeping woman and draped urn. North wall with white marble
monument by Manning on grey field to Frances Heneage, died 1842
with urn, wreath and cherubs. Black and white marble monument by
Hoderwood of Campden Town to west to George Heneage, died 1698,
Thomas Henry Heneage, died 1710 and George Fieschi Heneage, died
Listing NGR: TF1802684486
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.