If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Edith
Date Listed: 9 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195468
OS Grid Reference: TF3928187954
OS Grid Coordinates: 539281, 387954
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3701, 0.0920
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in St Edith's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Grimoldby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
GRIMOLDBY AND MANBY TINKLE STREET
TF 38 NE
8/26 Church of St. Edith
Parish church. C13, early and late C14, C15, C16, 1878, 1890.
Coursed greenstone rubble and ashlar, some ironstone rubble,
limestone ashlar. Lead roofs with stone coped gables and cross
finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, north
porch and south porch, converted to vestry, chancel. Mid C14
tower re-furbished in C15. Plinth and 5 stage angle buttresses
with staircase slit lights in south-west buttress. C14 blocked
west doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, hood
mould and head label stops. Pointed C15 window above with 2
round cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label
stops. Moulded string course above with single cusped ogee
headed light with moulded string course above. Bell openings on
all 4 sides, each a pointed opening with 2 cusped ogee headed
lights with hood mould. Moulded eaves with grotesque gargoyles
at corners, parapet above with corner pinnacles. West front of
north aisle with pointed window restored in C19, with 2 cusped,
ogee headed lights and hood mould. Moulded eaves and crocketed
parapet above. C19 gabled north porch with pointed doorway, head
and jambs moulded in one, hood mould and plank and wire doors.
Porch interior with pointed C15 doorway with deeply moulded head
and jambs in one, hood mould and C15 door with lower band of
cusped tracery and studded ribs. Stoup in north-west corner, re-
using medieval fragments, with polygonal bowl and pedestal.
North aisle to east of porch with moulded plinth and string
course. 3 C14 windows alternate with 3 two stage buttresses, each
of the former with pointed heads, 3 cusped ogee headed lights,
tracery and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above with large,
grotesque gargoyle heads and battlements above. C14 clerestorey
above with 4 pointed windows, each with 2 cusped, ogee headed
lights and mouchette. Moulded eaves above with large gargoyle
heads and parapet. East end of north aisle with pointed, 3
light, C14 window, all with cusped, ogee heads, reticulated
tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above and crocketed
parapet. Chancel restored in 1878 with stepped plinth and
moulded string course. North side with 2 stage buttress dividing
2 pointed windows east with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights,
reticulated tracery and hood mould. East end with 2 stage angle
buttresses and large C15 window with flattened triangular head, 5
cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. South
side of chancel with 2 pointed windows each with 3 cusped, ogee
headed lights, mouchettes and hood mould, with pointed blocked
C15 doorway in between with bowtell moulded head and jambs in
one, and hood mould running into string course to left and right.
East end of south aisle with pointed C14 window with 3 cusped,
ogee headed lights, cusped mouchettes and hood mould;
alternating with 2 stage buttresses. C19 south porch to west
converted to vestry with pointed head, 2 cusped pointed lights,
quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves above, with large
gargoyle heads and battlements. West end of south aisle with
pointed window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, mouchette, hood
mould and head label stops. Moulded eaves and crocketed parapet
above. Clerestory with 4 pointed windows, each with 2 cusped
ogee headed lights and quatrefoil. Moulded eaves above with
large gargoyle heads, parapet above. C14 interior tower arch
with triple chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs. Mid C13
north and south arcades of 4 bays with double cavetto moulded
pointed heads, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. C14
double cavetto pointed chancel arch with polygonal responds. To
north of chancel, a rectangular opening with steep flight of
steps, originally leading to rood loft. Dado of C15 screen with
8 panels divided by central opening flanked by openwork traceried
'buttresses', each panel with rich cusped panel tracery with
rosettes. Pulpit incorporating C15 richly traceried panels with
ornate rosettes re-used from C15 bench ends. Early C15 octagonal
font with cusped panels containing shields and blind traceried,
cusped pedestal. Pointed piscina in north aisle of nave. C18
eagle lectern. C19 and C20 screen and gallery set in tower arch.
Rectangular opening partially blocked by north-west nave respond,
with fragmentary moulded string courses below. Fragments of
medieval stained glass in north aisle window. Fine C16 nave
tiebeam queen post roof with partially intact cusping, re-used
C13 angels, richly carved rosette bosses on ashlar corbels.
Corbels in north and south aisles, supporting C16 roof in north
aisle. C19 and C20 chancel and south aisle roofs. Monument on
north wall of nave to William Caley, died 1787, including roundel
Listing NGR: TF3927887953
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.