Red-brick stables built c1800.
Reason for Listing
The stables at River Farm are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: it is a typical example of an early C19, brick-built stable, and its function is still legible through the survival of stall partitions and fitted hayracks
* Group value: the stables has group value with the Grade II listed, red-brick, early C19 farmhouse to the east with which it is linked both historically and architecturally
Keddington Corner is a hamlet situated one and a half miles north-east of Louth in north-east Lincolnshire. It lies just north of the Louth Navigation Canal which opened in 1770. The stables at River Farm were built c1800 around the same time as the farmhouse and have been subject to alterations. The 1906 Ordnance Survey map depicts a stair on the south-east front providing access to the hay loft which has since been removed; a small, modern, timber kennel has been built onto the south-east front; and sections of brickwork show signs of having been replaced, notably on the south-east and north-east elevations. A section of the roof has collapsed, and a large crack has appeared in the brickwork on the north-east front extending from the foot of right hand side of the gable to the ground.
MATERIALS: The stables are constructed of red brick under a pantile-covered roof.
PLAN: The two-storey building has a rectangular plan and a steeply pitched roof with coped gables and a catslide at the same pitch on the north-east side.
EXTERIOR: The main (south-west) elevation is divided into four bays. On the ground floor the first and third bays contain square windows, and the second and fourth bays contain wide timber-battened doors. The first floor has four regularly spaced windows under the brick decorated eaves. All the openings have segmental heads. The south-east elevation has a door on the right giving access to the room at the rear, and the first floor opening to the loft has a timber balcony, originally accessed via an external stair which has been removed. There is a small, square, first-floor window to the right and another on the north-west gable end.
INTERIOR: The stables have C20 concrete standings and timber stall partitions with fixed hay racks. The roof space was inaccessible at the time of inspection but is in partial collapse.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.