Red-brick farmhouse built c1800.
Reason for Listing
The old farmhouse at River Farm is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: it is a typical example of a polite late Georgian farmhouse which has a well proportioned façade and handsome neo-Classical doorcase, and retains a high proportion of its internal joinery and fittings
* Alterations: although the service rooms have been subject to alterations, the reception rooms and bedrooms have remained substantially intact
* Group value: the farmhouse has group value with the Grade II listed, red-brick, early C19 stable to the west with which it is linked both historically and architecturally
Keddington Corner is a hamlet situated one and a half miles north-east of Louth in north-east Lincolnshire. It lies just north of the Louth Navigation Canal which opened in 1770. The farmhouse at River Farm was built c1800 and has since undergone alterations. On the Ordnance Survey (OS) maps of 1889 and 1906 the building has an L-shape plan with a square-shaped projection at the corner of the main range and wing. This projection was presumably an attached outbuilding or service room as it was located adjacent to the present coal house. It has since been removed, leaving evidence of its former position on the south-west side of the coal house which has rebuilt quoins and an absence of brick coping to match that on the north-west side. The presence of this former outbuilding or service room is also clearly marked by lines in the brickwork extending from the top of the coal house along the north-west side of the service wing. A comparison between the OS maps of 1889 and 1906 shows that by 1906 a small projection on the north-west side of the main range had been built, presumably as an extra outbuilding or service room. This has since been removed, as the repaired brickwork shows. Other repaired brickwork is also evident on the north-east side of the main range which indicates other possible alterations to another service room. All the windows on the principal (south-west) elevation have been replaced with modern uPVC windows, and some of the windows on the other elevations are modern. The room occupying the south part of the service wing has been stripped of its plaster, leaving exposed brickwork which shows signs of blocked and altered openings. It has lost its original fireplace/ range, as has the room on the east side of the main range.
MATERIALS: The two-storey building is constructed of red brick with brick and stone dressings, under a roof covered in concrete tiles.
PLAN: The L-shape plan consists of a main range with a catslide at a lower pitch facing south-west, and rear service wing with attached coal house facing north-east.
EXTERIOR: The pitched roof has stone-coped gables with gable stacks on the main range and a ridge stack on the rear wing. The principal elevation has brick-decorated eaves, and is divided into three bays. The central six-panelled door has glazed upper panels and is set in a neo-Classical, moulded doorcase with fluted pilasters. The ground floor bays flanking the door and the three first floor bays have square, modern uPVC windows with wedge-shaped plaster lintels. The rear elevation of the main range has two bays of irregular, C20 fenestration. The south-east elevation of the rear wing has a three-light cross casement under a segmental brick arch with a single-light, top-opening window above. To the right is a four-panelled door in a plain doorcase with a segmental brick arch, followed by another top-opening casement. On the north-west elevation of the rear wing is the projecting coal-house and bread oven, with a horizontal sliding sash above.
INTERIOR: The central door opens into a small lobby which gives access to two reception rooms and the open well staircase which has stick balusters and a plain moulded handrail. A high proportion of the original joinery survives, some of which is grained, including the four- and six-panelled doors, panelled window shutters, skirting boards, dado rails, and fitted cupboards which flank the fireplace in the front right room and have six-panelled, grained doors. Plain, moulded fireplaces with cast-iron grates survive in the front left room and in the bedrooms. There is a bread oven in the service wing. The roof over the rear wing is double-framed; that over the main roof was inaccessible at the time of inspection.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.