British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Saltfleetby

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 9 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195489

OS Grid Reference: TF4551890416
OS Grid Coordinates: 545518, 390416
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3905, 0.1868

Location: Back Street, Saltfleetby All Saints, Lincolnshire LN11 7TU

Locality: Saltfleetby
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN11 7TU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Saltfleetby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 49 SE
(north side)
6/47 Church of
All Saints
G.V. I

Parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1611, 1873,
repaired 1886 by R. J. Withers. Coursed greenstone, limestone
and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red brick, some
render. Lead and slate roofs with some decorative ridge tiles,
stone coped gables and cross finial. West tower, nave with south
aisle and south porch, chancel with south-east chapel. Late C12
west tower raised in C15 with large 5 stage diagonal buttresses
of 1886 including stair turret in south-east buttress. 2 tall
central west lancets, one above the other with string course
above. Deeply chamfered C15 rectangular windows above on west,
north and south sides with outlines of blocked C12 round headed
bell openings on all 4 sides. C15 bell stage with pair of
pointed openings on all 4 sides, each with bowtell moulded
surround, 2 cusped, barely pointed lights, panel tracery and hood
mould with central head label stop. Moulded eaves above with
projecting corner gargoyles and battlements. North side of nave
with plinth and fragmentary string course running to east of
western-most window. Single late C15 windows flank pointed
doorway with moulded surround and plank door. Outline of gable
above. Large rectangular windows, each of 3 lights and transom,
that to west with rich triple ogee cusping and panel tracery;
that to east with cusped ogee headed lights and panel tracery.
North side of chancel heavily restored in 1873 with plinth and
pointed window to west of c.1300 with 2 plate traceried lancets
with oculus, C19 hood mould and label stop heads and apex head.
Pointed window of c.1300 to east with Y tracery and hood mould.
East end with plinth, angle buttresses and large, pointed window
restored in C19 with panel tracery, hood mould and large head
label stops. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window
with 3 cusped, ogee head lights and hood moulds. South aisle of
nave with plinth and regularly placed pilaster buttresses with
broader buttresses of 1886 alongside. Pointed C15 window to east
with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head
label stops. Small blocked rectangular opening to west set above
pilaster buttress. 2 windows of c.1300 to west each with Y
tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Gabled C15 porch with
2 stage angle buttresses with gabled upper stages. Pointed
doorway with jambs of clustered slender shafts with delicate
turned capitals, shields and flower heads in spandrels,
fragmentary moulding above with inscription: 'Situs est sanctum
Johis' Grantham de Moulton, Pahoni istius Ecclesiae' flanked by
shields bearing emblem of Passion and crucifix. Moulded eaves to
gable above with small flower head motifs. Porch interior
flanked by benches and with pointed inner C14 doorway with richly
moulded head and jambs in one, with hood mould, single head label
stop to west and plank door. 2 pointed windows of c.1300 to west
of porch, both with Y tracery, hood moulds and weathered label
stops. West end of south aisle with pointed window of c.1300
with Y tracery, hood mould and head label stops and head at apex.
Blocked rectangular opening above. Interior early C13 tower
arch, with low, pointed, triple chamfered head and keeled
responds with rich stiff-leaf capitals. South-east and north-
east corners inside -tower with fragmentary springers of rib
vault. 2 steps lead up into tower with large stone flags, some
with illegible medieval inscriptions, 2 respond or rib sections
on floor. To east of tower, 2 massive buttresses added when
tower was raised in C15. North arcade of c.1200 with 4 bays plus
narrower bay to west; double chamfered, pointed heads, round
piers with plain moulded capitals and abaci, western respond
supporting upper wall broached and moulded corbel; eastern
respond with slender shaft and plain capital. Broad mid C12
chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, semi-circular
responds and large scalloped capitals. C14 screen of 5 panels
with openwork upper panels each with 2 lights and rich, cusped
tracery. Lower cusped traceried panels with rosettes on cusps.
Similar screen to south-east chapel, with slightly simpler
tracery design. Chancel with double south arcade with 2 mid C12
bays overlapping with single C13 bay. To south, 2 narrow bays
with single chamfered steeply pointed heads with hood mould,
central round pier with scalloped capital, semi-circular responds
with lower sections embedded in rectangular masonry and with
plain moulded capital. to north, a single broad, double
chamfered pointed arch blocking triangular headed C12 opening to
east, with pointed corbelled responds and C19 traceried screen.
Chancel with aumbry to north and piscina to south, both with
triangular heads and latter with quatrefoiled well. Damaged
medieval tombstone and C20 altar rail in chancel. South chapel
with moulded string course with 3 small grotesque heads running
under C14 carved stone reredos with central trefoil headed panel,
cusped and finialled gable with ornate flanking pinnacles
supported on grotesque heads. Rectangular blocked opening
immediately to south, and small head corbelled shelf on south
wall. C16 altar table. C19 altar rail re-using C15 poppy head
finials. Fragmentary stone on window ledge inscribed with crude
sun and 1731 WKFCCI. Nave and south aisle with fine C15 tie beam
roofs, repaired in 1611, with cusped purlins, castellated wall
plates and ornate bosses. Medieval tombstone in north-east of
nave with barely legible inscription. Ornate Jacobean pulpit
with richly carved panels containing round headed arches and
stylised flowers and leaves. Tall early C17 pulpit presented to
church by Oriel College, Oxford, with pedimented panels
containing arches in perspective. Fragment of tombstone on
north-west window ledge of nave with inlaid brass lettering. 3
bells, one dated 1630 and another 1675. C18 box pew. Font
consisting of 3 separate moulded sections, with C13 octagonal
bowl with large trefoils on each face and the filleted capitals
of 8 clustered shafts replaced by cluster of C14 filleted pier
mouldings, with C15 richly carved octagonal base, possibly a bowl
set upside down, with panel tracery and 4 large grotesque heads.
Fragments of 2 late C12 capitals on south window ledge
immediately west of porch with stylised leaves and large beads.
Various C18 gravestones. C16 chest.

Listing NGR: TF4552090418

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.