If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of All Saints, Legbourne

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 9 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195900

OS Grid Reference: TF3676284430
OS Grid Coordinates: 536762, 384430
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3391, 0.0526

Location: Church Lane, Legbourne, Lincolnshire LN11 8LJ

Locality: Legbourne
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN11 8LJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Legbourne, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

LEGBOURNE CHURCH LANE
TF 38 SE (north-west side)

5/16 Church of
All Saints
9.3.67

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1380, 1865-8 by Rogers and Marsden. Chalk,
greenstone and ironstone blocks, limestone and chalk, ashlar
dressings. Lead roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials,
some slate. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and
south porch and chancel. Greenstone plinth, and 2 stage
greenstone regularly positioned buttresses added to tower and
nave in 1865-8. Chalk C14 west tower with C19 greenstone corners
and 3 stage angle buttresses. Pointed west window with 3 cusped
ogee headed lights and C19 reticulated tracery and hood mould.
Square cusped plaque above containing blank shield. North side
with polygonal chalk stair turret to east with slit lights.
Square, cusped plaque to west with blank shield. South side with
square, cusped plaque with blank shield. Moulded string course
above. Single pointed C19 window on west and south sides, each
with cusped, pointed head and hood mould. Clock above on south
side. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with pointed head and 2
ogee cusped lights with quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves
and parapet above. West end of north aisle plain. North side
with 3 pointed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and
C19 vertical tracery and hood mould. East end of aisle with
pointed 3 light window with cusped heads, reticulated tracery
partially restored in C19, hood mould. C15 clerestory above with
4 windows each of 3 lights with cusped heads, reticulated tracery
and hood mould. Tall C20 chimney to east. chancel of 1865-8.
North side with 2 pointed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed
lights with mouchette and hood mould. East end with large
pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, large mouchettes
above and hood mould. South side with 2 pointed windows each with
2 cusped ogee headed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. East end
of south aisle with pointed window of 3 cusped ogee headed
lights, C19 reticulated tracery and hood mould. South side with
3 pointed windows each with 2 lights with cusped ogee heads with
mouchettes and hood mould. C19 porch to west with pointed south
doorway with moulded surround in one and hood mould. Porch
interior with C14 doorway with pointed head with richly moulded
rectangular hood mould with flanking single cusped roundels in
between containing blank shields. 2 slender shafts on each jamb
and plank door. 4 clerestorey windows above with pointed heads,
2 cusped ogee heads, mouchettes and hood moulds. Interior tower
arch of c.1380 with tall, triple chamfered pointed head and
polygonal responds with moulded capitals. North and south
arcades of c.1380 of 4 bays with pointed, double chamfered heads,
octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Chancel arch of c.1380
with pointed, double chamfered head and polygonal responds. Fine
C15 rood screen partially restored in C19 with central ogee
headed opening flanked by 2 panels, lower sections blind, rich
tracery with rosettes and narrow traceried buttresses. C19
screens round organ in north east bay of nave. Cusped ogee
headed piscina in south wall of chancel. Small cusped C14
piscina in south wall of south aisle of nave. C19 roofs, pews,
pulpit, altar rail and lectern. Black and white marble monument
to Frederick and Edmund Allenby, the former drowned off
Mablethorpe in 1815, the latter died from exposure and fatigue
after climbing Mount Etna in Sicily. C19 octagonal font with
tall base with traceried panels and bowl decorated with blind
shields. Glass fragments of c.1380 in quatrefoil of north-east
aisle window and south west window of chancel. Stone slab in
front of south-east altar off nave with illegible medieval
inscription running round edge. Source: Banks Collection,
Lincoln Public Library. Volume 3, p.27.


Listing NGR: TF3676284430

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |