If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Harrington Hall
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195957
OS Grid Reference: TF3674471803
OS Grid Coordinates: -691026, -15286931
Latitude/Longitude: 1,000.0000, 1,000.0000
Explore more of the area around Harrington, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
HARRINGTON CHURCH LANE
TF 37 SE (east side)
3/30 Harrington Hall
Country house. Late C16, built for the Copledykes, late C17
rebuilt by Vincent Amcotts. Altered and extended C18. Red brick
with some blue brick, dressed stone and ashlar. Slate roof.
Single red brick stacks to the ridge, left gable and rear. Brick
coped gables with kneelers. Modillion cornice. Set on a
chamfered dressed stone C16 plinth. First floor band. 2 storeys
plus attic, 13 bays. With central 3 storey part C16 porch with
deep parapet and set on a moulded plinth, blue brick diaper to
the side walls. Thin octagonal angle buttresses rising to
rectangular clasping buttresses. First floor moulded band.
Giant Ionic pilasters traversing first and second floors.
Doorway set into a projecting panel. Double panelled and part
glazed door with overlight and fielded panel reveal with key
stone, flanking the doorway are single ashlar mounting blocks each
with 4 steps and panelled. Over the doorway is an ashlar sundial
dated 1681. Either side are 6 C18 glazing bar sashes. Above are
13 glazing bar sashes with keystone to single central sash and
blind rectangular panel over. The top floor of the porch has a
single similar smaller sash and decorative keystone. In the
attic are 6 segmental arched roof dormers with single glazing bar
sashes. Surmounting the porch is a weather vane dated 1678.
Attached to the left is a C18 red brick and slate 2 storey, 3 bay
wing. Brick coped left gable with kneelers. Moulded cornice. 3
glazing bar sashes on each floor. Rear with C17 double gable to
the south and single gable to the north, some C18 infilling. 3
giant order pilasters. First floor band and second floor band
forming band to parapet. Brick plinth in parts. Single
rectangular Artisan-Mannerist style panel. North end with
C16 cavetto moulded ashlar mullion window with 4 semi-circular
arched lights and recessed triangular panelled spandrels set onto
a dressed stone chamfered plinth and with remains of dressed
stone wall to the left. Brick relieving arch over. Interior.
Porch with coved ceiling decorated with Greek key and foliate.
Frieze with triglyph and guttae. Sides of porch with fielded
panel seats with fluted Doric pilaster and fielded panel backs.
Panelled inner door. Hall with early C18 moulded panelling to
walls flanked by fluted pilasters. Pilasters also flank the
windows. The angles of the room with fluted quarter columns.
Wide elliptical arch with panelled soffit. Frieze with triglyph
and guttae. Moulded panelled ceiling divided into rectangles and
decorated with Greek key pattern. Morning room with some C16
panelling. Drawing room with c.1700 panelling with fluted Ionic
pilasters. Moulded cornice. Dining room has panelled dado with
thin bolection moulding. The fireplace is flanked by fluted
pilasters. Egg and dart cornice. Study with similar panelling
to the dining room, has a recessed blind fielded panel arch with
keyblock. Leading to the staircase are 2 arched doorways with
part glazed and panelled doors flanked by single narrow glazing
bar and panelled strips. Either side are single fluted Doric
pilasters, traceried fanlight with keyblock. Deep reveals to
stair side also with keyblock. Early C18 open well staircase
with 3 balusters to each tread, one being fluted and tapering, 2
twisted with richly moulded bases. Composite newels. Finely
carved tread ends decorated with pine cones, foliage and flower
heads. Moulded mahogany bannister. Fielded panel dado. The
first floor with open landing and archways corresponding to
those of the ground floor. Dentil cornice. Early C19 panelled
ceiling with 4 winged cherubs. Bedroom with bolection panelling
to most of the room. Deep moulded cornice. Boudoir with fielded
panels, cornice and decorative ceiling to the west side. A long
passage connects almost all the first floor rooms. Tower room
with C16 panelling extending into the hall. Coved ceiling with
heavy moulding, deep window seat. Passage with 2 arched
cupboards with fielded panels, single similar blind arch. Blue
bedroom with some fielded panelling and dentil cornice. Further
small room with 5 sets of arches with fielded panel doors and
fanlights with fielded panels. Dentil cornice. Egg and dart
and modillion decorated ceiling with foliate centre. Back
staircase C17 single flight with turned balusters with square
knops and bases. 4 plain newels with single ball finials and
deep moulded bannister. Balusters extend to both sides of the
landing. Throughout are many panelled shutters, many doors with
fielded panels and reveals. There are a number of C18 marble
fireplaces with simple roll moulding. In the C14 the Manor
passed from the de Harington family to the Copledykes and in 1673
the estate was bought by Vincent Amcotts. Country Life July 4,
Listing NGR: TF3674471803
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.