British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas, East Kirkby

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 196226

OS Grid Reference: TF3327863042
OS Grid Coordinates: 533278, 363042
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1479, -0.0086

Location: East Kirkby, Lincolnshire PE23 4BX

Locality: East Kirkby
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE23 4BX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around East Kirkby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(west side)
Church of
St. Nicholas

Parish church. C13, C14, C16, extensively restored C19 and 1904-
6. Greenstone, ashlar, red brick patching. Lead roofs. Coped
gables. Single ridge cross to the east nave and finial to the
west nave. The chancel gable with decorative ridge finial and
decorative kneelers. Nave, south and north aisles, south porch
tower and chancel. West nave with single C19 arched 2 light
window with cusped tracery and hood mould. West wall of north
aisle with buttress dated 1905. North wall set on a chamfered
plinth with blocked and part glazed chamfered arched doorway with
hood mould. To the left set into former blocked archway is a
single window dated 1585 with 3 four centred arched lights with
recessed panelled spandrels under a flat arch. To the right is
evidence of a single opening and set higher evidence of a former
window opening. To the left is evidence of a C14 window opening
with remains of a single ogee arched light under a flat arch.
Worn C14 ogee arched piscina further left. The east wall of the
aisle has a single C14 arched 3 light window with flowing tracery
and hood mould. The chancel is set onto a moulded plinth. The
north wall has a single small C13 pointed arched window with 2
trefoil arched lights and single qautrefoil over. Above is a
single C14 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat
arch. To the left is a single similar window. Above in the C20
clerestorey are 3 windows each with 3 cinquefoil ogee arched
lights under a flat arch. To the left is a single panel with
blind, cusped tracery. Flanking the windows and the panel are
single cavetto moulded strips supported on decorative corbels.
The east chancel dated 1905 has a single arched 4 light window
with flowing tracery, hood mould, label stops and finial.
Continuous sill band. Either side are single similar panels each
flanked by single similar cavetto strips supported on decorative
corbels. The south chancel has a single pointed segmental arched
3 light C14 window with cusped panel tracery. To the left is a
moulded 4 centred arched doorway with blind traceried spandrels
under a flat arch. Further left is a single similar 3 light
window. Clerestorey corresponds to the north. The south aisle
is set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall has a single C14
arched 3 light window with flowing tracery and hood mould. The
south wall has 2 C19 windows each with cusped tracery under a
flat arch, that on the right with 2 lights and that on the left
with 3 lights. To the left is the tower. Set on a chamfered
plinth with moulded bands over, of 3 stages with bands and brick
embattlements. The south side with moulded arched entrance, over
is a single C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch.
South bell chamber opening with 2 arched and cusped lights and
cusped tracery under a flat arch, east side with single pair of
C13 pointed arched lights, west side with 2 lights under a flat
arch. Interior of porch with C14 quadripartite vault with human
head boss. Each side wall with 2 bay C14 blind arcading. Double
chamfered arched inner doorway. To the left is a single C19
window with 2 arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a
flat arch. Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcades with octagonal
columns on high bases and earlier plinths. Moulded capitals, the
responds being corbels supporting moulded capitals. Double
chamfered chancel arch the inner order supported on octagonal
responds. Restored C14 screen with mouchettes and cusped panel
tracery, further fragments of restored C14 screens dividing
vestry, north organ and south chantry chapel. C14 ogee arched
doorway to tower stairs. South and north walls of chancel with
low C13 pointed arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery. The
south side now blocked, the north with shutters. North wall with
low piscina with open trefoil arch. Further piscina with reredos
composed of C14 fragments including 3 carved half figures holding
objects. Crocketed canopies over with 2 trefoil arches above
with continuous hood mould and human head label stops, further
decorated with naturalistic flowers and foliate and bands of
diaper. South aisle south wall with C14 trefoil arched piscina
and to the left of the doorway a blocked stoup. North wall with
aumbry and blocked windows, door and C14 arcade opening, this
led to a chantry demolished C16. One window now part blocked
with painted inscription. Remains of some C15 bench ends with
carved poppy heads. Heavily restored font the pedestal and bowl
decorated with cusped tracery and further decoration to bowl of
carved heads and foliate. Decorative C19 pulpit. 4 boards
inscribed with biblical texts and dated 1819. South aisle with
C14 floor slab to Sir Robert Sylkestone decorated with incised
stylised cross.

Listing NGR: TF3327863042

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.