Church of St Paul, New Leake
Description: Church of St Paul
Date Listed: 17 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 196241
OS Grid Reference: TF4073859424
OS Grid Coordinates: 540738, 359424
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1134, 0.1013
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TF 45 NW NEW LEAKE SPLISBY ROAD
6/28 Church of
Parish church. Probably built before consecration date of 1840
by John C. Carter. Red and stock brick. Slate roofs with
moulded brick eaves, nave with south polygonal brick finial
springing from pilaster rising against gable end. Not correctly
orientated. North tower, nave with transepts, polygonal chancel.
High plinth and regularly placed buttresses run round entire
church. Embattled tower with rectangular corner pinnacles and
moulded brick eaves. Of 4 stages, the top 2 stages slightly set
back, and with angle buttresses. Pointed chamfered and moulded
arched north doorway, panelled double doors and pointed arched
overlights with dentil band below. Pointed arched window above
with Y tracery. Single lancets in east and west sides. Cusped
oculus above to north. Single rectangular windows to east and
west. Shallow pointed doorway to south with plank door. Bell
openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, 2 plate
lancets and slatted openings. North end of east aisle with 2
windows one above the other, both with shallow pointed heads.
East side with single large shallow pointed windows flanking
slightly projecting gabled transept contaning another shallow
pointed window. The former of 2 lights, the latter of 3 lights,
all with wooden transoms. South end of east aisle with single
shallow pointed light with transom. Polygonal chancel with
segmental arched south 2 light window with transom, flanked by
single shallow pointed arched blind panels. West side of church
corresponds to the east side. All the windows of wood.
Interior. Doorway with panelled double doors from tower to nave.
Four centred chancel arch. Nave with 4 wooden, part chamfered,
piers supporting the roof. Nave with chamfered plinth extending
to sill height.
Listing NGR: TF4073859424
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.