If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Helen, Stickford

Description: Church of St Helen

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 196255

OS Grid Reference: TF3519260038
OS Grid Coordinates: 535192, 360038
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1204, 0.0187

Location: Church Road, Stickford, Lincolnshire PE22 8EP

Locality: Stickford
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE22 8EP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Stickford, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 36 SE STICKFORD BOSTON ROAD
(east side)

2/42 Church of
St. Helen

3.2.67 II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restorations 1830, 1853 by Fowler,
1863 and 1881. Ashlar, some red brick. Slate roofs. Coped
gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave, east chancel
and south porch. Buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch
and chancel. C15 angle buttressed tower set on a moulded plinth
of 4 stages with bands. Brick parapet with single corner
gargoyles. Single carved angels holding shields to the centre of
the south, north and west sides. Deep moulded C15 west doorway
with hood mould and label stops. Above is a single C15 arched 4
light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label stops.
Single rectangular light over. 3 small stair lights. The south
and north sides each with single large brick blocked chamfered
archways with 3 corbels over. South and east sides each with
single rectangular lights at the third stage, the south side also
with 2 stair lights. 4 arched C19 bell chamber openings each
with 3 arched and cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and
label stops. The north aisle, set on a plinth to west and north,
is patched with brick and has in the west wall a single heavily
restored C13 trefoil arched lancet. The north wall has a single
C13 window with single pair of pointed arched lights surmounted
by single truncated roundel. To the left is a chamfered pointed
arched doorway with C14 carved human head over and further left a
single C14 window with 2 ogee arched and elaborately cusped
lights under a flat arch. The east wall has a single heavily
restored C13 trefoil arched lancet. The chancel, set on a plinth
to the east and south, has in the east wall a single C19 arched 3
light window with cusped tracery, hood mould, human head label
stops and continuous stepped sill band which extends to the south
wall which has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery,
hood mould and label stops. The south aisle is set on a
chamfered plinth, the east wall has a single C19 arched 2 light
window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label
stops. The south wall has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with
cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. To the
left is the gabled porch, rebuilt C19, with C15 moulded arched
entrance, hood mould and human head label stops. Flanking the
arch are single carved angels holding shields. Inner C19 moulded
arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. To
the left and in the west wall of the south aisle are single
similar C19 windows with hood moulds and decorative label stops.
Interior. 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, the
south side early C13 with octagonal columns and responds, the 2
east columns and west respond with nail head decoration to the
capitals, hood mould to the nave side. Late C13 north arcade
with quatrefoil piers and responds with fillets and moulded
capitals, hood mould and human head label stops to the nave side.
Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch. C19 chamfered and moulded
chancel arch, the inner order supported on foreshortened
colonnettes with moulded capitals in turn supported on decorative
corbels. Hood mould and angel label stops. C14 octagonal font,
the bowl decorated with quatrefoil panels. Several C15 bench
ends some with poppyheads, some with human head carving. Church
re-roofed late C19.


Listing NGR: TF3519260038

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.