British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Tealby

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196402

OS Grid Reference: TF1571290896
OS Grid Coordinates: 515712, 390896
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4022, -0.2610

Location: Rasen Road, Tealby, Lincolnshire LN8 3XH

Locality: Tealby
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN8 3XH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Tealby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(north side)

7/45 Church of
All Saints
G.V. I

Parish church, C12, C13, early C14, C15, C16, chancel re-modelled
by James Fowler in 1872, tower restored 1881-4. Coursed
ironstone rubble, some ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs. West
tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and
rectangular chancel. Mid C12 west tower with early C15 4th stage
and buttresses. Moulded plinth with diagonal butress with high
stepped bases and richly moulded stringcourses. Similar buttress
in centre of southside of tower reaching just above the second
stage. Small early C12 west doorway with large plain chamfered
impost blocks. C19 lintel inserted and semi-circular head.
Above, a round headed window of c1175 with small head inside apex
with weathered, drooping leaves on either side and hoodmould.
South side, just east of buttress is a rectangular light. Clock
of 1977 above. C15 bell chamber openings on all 4 sides, each
of 2 cusped pointed lights with vertical tracery above and
hoodmould. On the east side, lower and to the north of bell
chamber opening is pointed, deeply set C12 opening with chamfered
surround and hoodmould. Apex of east bellopening has head at
eaves level, and projecting gargoyle in similar position above
west bellchamber opening. Moulded eaves, battlements and corner
pinnacles of 1881 . Weathervane. Early C14 north aisle with
pointed windows of 2 cusped lights with reticulated quatrefoil
above and hoodmould. Angle buttresses of 2 stages and tall
chimney. North side proper has 3 light pointed window with
intersecting tracery, restored in C19 and hoodmould, with 2 stage
buttress to the left with pointed doorway with chamfered head,
jambs, hoodmould and plank door, beyond. To the left 2 three
light pointed windows with restored intersecting tracery and
hoodmoulds, with 2 stage buttress between. East corner has 2
stage angle buttress. East end of nave has 3 light pointed
window with restored interesecting tracery and hoodmould. C19
moulded eaves, battlements and the blind traceried bases of
pinnacles run along top of north aisle. C15 clerestory of 4, 3
light windows with flattened triangular heads and hoodmoulds
joined by stringcourse. C19 moulded eaves, battlements and
blind traceried bases of 4 pinnacles. East end of nave has
roofline of earlier chancel, moulded eaves and battlements, south
pinnacle and north pinnacle blind traceried base. North side of
chancel has blocked rectangular opening to the west, with small
barely pointed doorway to left with chamfered arch and joists in
one and plank door. Beyond a 3 light pointed window with
interesecting tracery restored. C19 and hoodmould, with 2 stage
buttress to the left. North east and south east corners have 2
stage angle buttresses with plinths. 5 light east window with
C19 tracery and hoodmould. South side of chancel has a long 3
light pointed window with intersecting tracery restored in C19,
and hoodmould with 2 stage buttress to west. Beyond is a lower,
smaller 3 light pointed window with restored intersecting
tracery. Blocked rectangular opening to the west. East end of
south aisle of nave has small 3 light pointed window with
intersecting tracery. 2 stage angle buttress in south east
corner. South side proper has 2 pointed, 3 light windows with
restored intersecting tracery with hoodmoulds, with 2 stage
buttress in between. C16 south porch with plinth, moulded eaves
and battlements. Low 2 stage buttress pointing west and east.
Low pointed double chamfered doorway with arch and jambs in one.
3 light rectangular window set in gable above with splayed stone
mullions. Porch interior has large rectangular recess in west
wall. Pointed chamfered south doorway with arch and jambs in
one, plank door and re-used C16 timbers in roof. Pointed 3
light window to west of porch with restored intersecting tracery,
with hoodmould. 2 stage angle buttresses on west corner. West
end of south aisle has pointed 2 light window with restored 'Y'
tracery and hoodmould. Moulded eaves and battlements run full
length of aisle with blind traceried bases of 5 pinnacles. C15
clerestory with 4, three light windows with flattened triangular
heads and hoodmould joined together by stringcourse. Moulded
eaves, battlements and 4 complete, ornate pinnacles. Interior
C12 tower arch restored in 1884, has large pointed head of 2
orders. Inner arch chamfered with billet and chipstar
decoaration, outer arch plain. Heavy multi-scalloped capitals
and moulded abaci. Above, to the north, a round headed opening
restored in C19, with hoodmould. 4 bay mid C13 north and south
arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, plain capitals
and double chamfered pointed arches. South arcade abaci
decorated with series of grooves. C15 tie beam timber roof
restored in C19 and C20. Mid C13 chancel arch with polygonal
responds, plain capitals, moulded abaci and double chamfered,
pointed head. Chancel interior, by Fowler with 3 large ornate
monuments and 2 large piscina and single, small piscina. Altar
rail of c1730. Reredos of 1872 re-using C16 carved panels,
probably from the Netherlands including scenes from the life of
Christ, man riding a seahorse and a woman surrounded by stylised
waves. Fragments of early C14 canopies of stained glass in
north and south chancel windows. C19 5 sided pulpit with heavily
traceried panels. C12 octagonal stone font with C19 base. C20
lectern and pews. Various C19 monuments. 2 C18 hatchments in

Listing NGR: TF1571290898

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.