If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196429
OS Grid Reference: TF1382492396
OS Grid Coordinates: 513824, 392396
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4161, -0.2888
Explore more of the area around Walesby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 19 SW WALESBY RECTORY LANE
6/71 Church of All Saints
(formally listed as Church of
1.11.66. All Saints (Old Parish Church)
Church. c1175, c1200, c1300, C15,C18, C19, restored 1933.
Ironstone rubble, some weathered ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs.
West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch,
chancel with north vestry. Early C13 west tower with pronounced
moulded plinth and stringcourse, divided into 4 stages by moulded
stringcourses. Large 4 stage diagonal butresses, with Madonna
set in niche on south buttress in 1933. West side, first stage
has single pointed light with stringcourse above and clock in 2nd
stage. Northside, second stage has large metal ties and on south
side ties formed into initials R.L.C. Stringcourse runs under
bell openings on all 4 sides each being paired pointed lights
divided by rectangular shaft with pronounced imposts. All have
hoodmoulds. Moulded stringcourse above with billet decoration,
projecting, weathered corner gargoyles, battlements and 4
weathered corner pinnacles. North aisle of c1300. West end has
pointed window with 2 lights and Y tracery with 2 stage angle
buttress to north, each stage topped by gable. Blocked
roundheaded doorway to east, with 2, 3 stage butresses on high
stepped plinths beyond. 3 light pointed window with intersecting
tracery and hoodmould. Eastern angle butress of 2 stages.
Moulded eaves and C15 battlements run along top of north aisle.
C15 clerestorey with 3 rectangular windows each with 2 cusped and
pointed lights. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Flat
roofs. East end of north aisle has pointed 3 light window with
intersecting tracery and hoodmould. East end of nave has coped
gable with battlements and finial. Chancel wall between nave
aisle and vestry has single lancet. West wall of C19 vestry has
deep set doorway with plank door with small rectangular window to
south with leaded lights. North side of vestry has 5 light stone
mullion window with leaded lights. East wall of vestry has 2
light stone mullion windows with leaded lights. East end of
chancel has 3 light pointed window with restored intersecting
tracery with quatrefoils, hoodmould and labelstop heads. Shallow
coped gable above. South side of chancel has 3 light pointed
window with reticulated tracery of c1300 and hoodmould. Pointed
early C14 doorway beyond with pronounced polygonal impost blocks,
polygonal jambs, plank door and hoodmould. Large pointed window
beyond with 3 cusped pointed lights and C19 tracery and damaged
early C14 hoodmould. Early C14 east window of south aisle of 3
lights with intersecting tracery, hoodmould with damaged
labelstop to south. Corbel above, to north. Low angle
buttress of 2 gabled stages. Southside of south aisle has 2,
three light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould.
South porch of c1300 with plainly moulded arched doorway. Porch
interior flanked by stone benches with round headed interior
doorway with chamfered jambs, imposts and C18 door. 2 stage west
angle buttress with gables. Moulded eaves with C15 battlements
run length of south aisle. C15 clerestorey with 3 rectangular
windows each with 2 pointed cusped lights. Moulded eaves and
battlements above. West end of south aisle has pointed 2 light
window with intersecting tracery. In north west corner of south
aisle, part of tower butress visible. Interior tower arch of c1300 with
semicircular responds, plain capitals and double chamfered pointed arch. North
archade of 3 bays of cl175 with round headed double chamfered arches, hoodmoulds
and heads in spandrels. Round piers with 'waterholding' bases. Plain scalloped
capital to western respond. Crocket capital to first pier to east, second pier
to east has plain upright stiff leaf capital. East respond plainly moulded.
3 bay south arcade of C1200 with double chamfered pointed arches, octagonal piers
and polygonal responds. Hoodmoulds and heads in spandrels. Western respond has
plain octagonal capital. First pier to east has capital carved with human heads
and clover type leaves. Second pier to east has plain capital with abacus
decorated with band of chip-star decoration. Eastern respond has similar capital
and abacus. Stringcourse runs under window of south aisle and towards the east
is a double arched chamfered aumbrey of c1300. North aisle has blocked doorway
with rectangula chamfered lintel. East end of north aisle has stone steps,
partially restored in 1933 leading up through small rectangular opening to give
access to top of ornate wooden roodscreen of 1933. Double chamfered pointed
chancel arch with filleted semicircular responds and plain capitals. C19 arched
recess for organ in north wall of chancel and rectangular doorway to east of it
leading to vestry. Roofs of 1933. In south nave aisle are series of high wooden
C18 box pews painted white. Fine ornate octagonal wooden pulpit of 1626,
originally from St Leonards Chapel, Kirkstead, complete with ornate octagonal
sounding board, recently painted white. East wall of chancel has marble memorial
to Mary Davenport, died 1737. Various C19 memoria ls in nave. C13 drum font
much defaced, with angle shafts originally up the bowl. Fittings of 1933.
Stained glass of 3 light east window in south aisle of 1950, financed by the
Grimsby Wayfarers Association, showing a central figure of Christ with cyclists
on the right and ramblers with haversacks on the left.
Listing NGR: TF1382492396
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.