If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196513
OS Grid Reference: TF0632892780
OS Grid Coordinates: 506328, 392780
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4211, -0.4015
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in St Andrew's Churchyard, Kirkby, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Osgodby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 09 SE OSGODBY MAIN STREET
8/33 Church of
Parish Church; early C13, early C14, C15, 1790, restoration dates
of 1891, 1900, 1923; roughly coursed ironstone rubble, squared
coursed limestone and ironstone, slate and lead roofs. Western
tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage tower, in roughly coursed
ironstone rubble, with plinth, 2 plain string courses, and C15
plain embattled parapet. There are corner buttresses to the 1st
stage only. All faces have C13 paired belfry lights with mid
wall shafts with projecting carved heads on central impost, and
pointed arches. There are 2 weathered corner shutes below the
parapet. The west end has a single C13 lancet to the first
stage; heavily restored. The nave is in squared ironstone and
limestone rubble with a slate roof. The north side has a short
1790 segmental headed window at high level, to light a former
gallery, and 2 semi-circular headed tall 1790 windows. The
chancel is in ironstone coursed rubble with lead roof and the
north side has a C14 2 light window with Y tracery. The East
end has a C14 3 light window with Y tracery. The south side of
the chancel has one stepped buttress and a 3 light C20 window in
C17 style and a similar 2 light window. Built into the wall is
an early C13 decorated grave slab with circular cross motif.
The fenestration of the south side of the nave is as the north
side except that the windows have plain surrounds with carved
heads at impost level. Part of a further C13 grave slab is
built into the nave wall. The south door has a plain stone
surround and an inserted C19 segmental head. Interior: The
nave has plain plastered walls with a beaded and plaited plaster
moulding which runs above the wainscotting and up around the
window. The wainscotting is both panelled and boarded. The
plaster ceiling has ornamenal rosettes at the lighting points.
The C13 tower arch has double chamfers and octagonal responds.
There is no chancel arch but flat reeded strips mark the chancel
which is also set at a slight angle to the nave. The chancel
roof is a C15 king post roof with one corbel head remaining from
an earlier roof. At the east end is a trefoil headed piscina and
on the north side a C13 double piscina with octagonal shaft and
one quatrefoil stoup and one circular stoup. Monuments: In the
chancel are 2 tomb chests to John and Margaet Wildbore. On the
north side, in front of the piscina, is an effigy of a lady, late
C14, in sunken relief with her head on a cushion with 2 angels
either side all under an ogee arch. At her feet is a small dog.
The tomb base is decorated with shields and heraldic emblems and
inscribed in Latin around the top. On the south side is a late
C14 knight, in high relief, in perfect condition, in full armour,
and with a rebus of a wild boar on his middle. The tomb chest
is of similar design to the lady's and the other side of the
chest has been set up against the south wall so that the full
inscription can be seen. The font is C18, a plain circular
bowl on a bulbous pedestal. At the west end of the nave is a
Georgian Royal Coat of Arms.
Listing NGR: TF0632892780
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.