British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, West Rasen

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196544

OS Grid Reference: TF0649589304
OS Grid Coordinates: 506495, 389304
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3898, -0.4001

Location: A631, West Rasen, Lincolnshire LN8 3LS

Locality: West Rasen
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN8 3LS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in All Saints Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around West Rasen, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


11/64 Church of
1-11-66 All Saints

Parish Church; possibly C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, C18, 1829/30,
1860. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings and some
limestone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave
with clerestorey, south aisle and porch, chancel. The
unbuttressed 2 stage C13 tower hasa simply chamfered plinth, a
tall 1st stage with a plain string course, a moulded top string
course with weathered gargoyles, a battlemented parapet with
curious octagonal battlemented turrets to thecorners probably
added in 1828. The south tower door is C14 with pointed arch
and hood mould, with above a narrow slot. To all faces are
inserted C14 2 light belfry openings, with ogee tracery and human
mask label stops. The western face has a C19 lancet which could
be a recutting of the original window, and a single slit above.
The nave has a slate roof with stone coped bables and cross
fleury. The north side has 2 stepped buttresses and a blocked 3
bay C12 arcade and aisle roof corbels are visible. Within the
blocking of the central bay is a C15 4 centred headed window with
reticulated tracery. The 4th blocked bay is C13, a taller
pointed arch which clearly led to a transept. In this blocking
is set a late C13 2 light trefoil headed window. The
clerestorey has 4 flat headed late C14 windows with 2 lights and
unusual reticulated tracery. The east end of the nave above the
chancel roof shows that the nave roof was replaced and probably
altered as the gable wall above the eaves line is totally
limestone rubble. The chancel, which is ironstone with some
limestone rubble has a lead roof with stonecoped gable and
cross. It has a shallow chamfered plinth and 2 stepped
buttresses. At its west end is a blocked C14 pointed arch to a
former chantry chapel. The north window is a late C13 steeply
pointed single light with trefoil decoration. The east window
is C15, 5 light, repaired in C19, with a shallow 4 centred head,
hood mould and label stops. The south side of the chancel has
been restored in C19, and has a central priests door flanked by 2
two light windows in Early English style. Above the door is an
inscribed tablet recording restoration work carried out in 1829
and 1830. The south aisle has a slate roof, and 3 C19 Early
English style windows. The south aisle west window is C13
lancet. The south porch is C19 in Early English style with
pointed opening with hood mould, single side lights and a south
doorway in a plain chamfered pointed opening; a C14 head has
been set in over the doorway. The porch has stone side benches.
The south clerestorey is as the north side but has 3 panels of
shield in quatrefoil decoration incorporated into its fabric.
These could possibly have come from a parapet which was removed
when the nave roof was replaced. Interior: The C13 3 bay south
arcade has octagonal piers and east respond, the west respond is
keeled, the arches are double chamfered. The C12 north arcade
has clearly been inserted into the north wall giving this a
possible Cll date. At the end of the 3 bays of the arcades
there is much disturbance in the nave walls on both sides to
below clerestorey level, again indicating that the nave has been
lengthened. The C13 arch into the south transept, now
incorporated into the aisle has a double chamfered arch and
octagonal responds. The tower arch is C19 and in the west wall
of the nave can be seen a change in build at high level probably
indicating that the tower was added to an existing nave. The
chancel arch has keeled responds, annular capitals and a steeply
pointed double chamfered arch. A corbel support for the rood
loft remains and to the south side beside the chancel arch is a
blocked rood doorway. The nave roof is late C19, a fine C14
reconstruction with brattished tie beams, arch braced queen
posts, moulded principals and wall plates. The chancel roof is
mid C19. On the south chancel wall is a decorated bracket with
figures of a Bishop, Priest and Layman. There is a C14 piscina
which has had the base replaced by a large stone. The stained
glass in the east window is early C19. The benches are early C15
with traceried panels of decoration to the ends and roll moulded
back rails. The font is a plain octagonal C15 type. The
former north aisle chapel was a chantry founded in 1373 for John
Pouger and dissolved in 1548.

Listing NGR: TF0649489303

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.