If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Saint Bartholomew
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196668
OS Grid Reference: TA1650309949
OS Grid Coordinates: 516503, 409949
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5732, -0.2420
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in St Bartholomew's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Keelby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TA 10 NE KEELBY CHURCH LANE
6/121 Church of St.
Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1692, 1847, 1908-10. West
tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, chancel.
Ironstone, limestone ashlar, chalk, brick, slate roofs. C14
west tower with moulded plinth and setback stepped buttresses of
1910, 3 stages. Gothic style window placed in the blocking of
the west door. Single C20 rectangular lights on first floor,
paired cusped trefoil headed bell openings with quatrefoils over
between triple chamfered paired arches on the second floor.
Parapet with cusped quatrefoil sunk panels with concavemoulded
string beneath ornamented with flowers. North aisle has 2 three
light late C15 windows having recut cusped trefoil heads beneath
flat arches with hood moulds. North porch is C19 with pointed
arched outer doorway, chimney to boiler in angle between porch
and aisle wall. North door is a reset C14 opening, hollow
chamfered with hood mould, pointed head, double chamfered reveals
with a grotesque figure repositioned over its head. Chancel
north wall has lower part of ironstone, the upper of chalk
blocks, plinth at base stops at building line east of the north
aisle. 2 C19 2 light C14 style Gothic windows. Chancel east
wall in ashlar, heavily restored late C13 3 light Y tracery
window. South chancel wall of ironstone near plinth but higher
up it is of late C18 brick with a C19 2 light window inserted
into it. South aisle of 1847, ashlar, east door to vestry and
one 2 light copy of a C14 window and 2 copies of 3 light C15
windows on the north side. C14 door at west end, heavily recut,
but reveals, head, hood mould and label stops appear early, but
the date of 1692 on the eastern reveal internally probably dates
this earlier restoration. In the west wall a further 2 light
C15 style window. Internally, 3 bay mid C13 south arcade with
circular shafts and bases, octagonal capitals and double
chamfered pointed arches springing directly from the abaci. 3
bay north arcade, 1908, matching that to the south. C14 tower
arch, chamfered reveals and double chamfered almost 4 centred
head without capitals. Fine quadrupartite moulded ribbed tower
vault with decorated vaulting boss and corbels. Chancel has
1908 fittings, roof of the nave and chancel of similar date.
Door on south side of chancel into vestry is a recut C13 archway.
C14 font, octagonal with recessed decorative panels containing
cusped curvilinear quatrefoils. The original base has cusped 3
centred arches with sunk spandrels. Monuments:- 2 C15 matrices
for large brasses, now robbed, at east end of nave and in the
north wall of the north transept a fragment of a cut back C13
cross fleury, perhaps from a monument. North wall of chancel
has a wall plaque to John South, d.1591, a square marble plaque
in a marble frame with circular pendent motif below and 2
obelisks flanking a cartouche of arms above, central panel
flanked by vertical margins containing ribbons, incised skulls
and hourglasses. In the north wall of the north aisle a
recessed circular marble frame with guilloche decoration
containing a portrait bust of Alice South, d,1605. She with
hands clasped in prayer, with a ruff and cowled head, beneath is
a rectangular inscribed marble plaque with a decorative frame.
Listing NGR: TA1650309948
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.