If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Edmund
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196676
OS Grid Reference: TA1846507484
OS Grid Coordinates: 518465, 407484
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5506, -0.2134
Explore more of the area around Riby, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TA 10 NE RIBY MAIN STREET
6/130 Church of
Parish Church C12, C13, C15, 1868, restoration by Ferrey.
Random limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone and ironstone
ashlar dressings slate roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle,
chancel. West door is late C13 with pointed moulded head and
floriate label stops, recutin C19. Above is a 3 light C13
geometric window, again heavily recut, most of the tracery
replaced, above again is a C19 sexfoil in a circular setting,
cross fleury at the gable. 2 stepped buttresses at either end.
West window of the south aisle is a late C13 2 light, recut in
C19, with hood mould and floriate label stops matching those on
the west door., North wall of nave is random rubble, a blocked
C12 doorway with plain jambs and chamfered imposts, facetted arch
and hood mould decorated with cable moulding with hobnails and
terminating in abraded beast headed label stops. 2 C19 2 light
windows in a late C13 style. North wall of north transept has a
single 3 light window in a late C13 pointed opening but with C19
reticulated tracery. Central .tower of coursed squared ironstone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Single storey above nave and aisle
roofs, single windows in each side of 2 lights, C14 with cusped
ogee heads and quatrefoils over moulded hood moulds with human
headed label stops. Gargoyles at angles with above a C15
crenellated and pinnacled parapet. Engaged octagonal stair
turret with domical roof in the angle between the north transept
and the chancel. Chancel north wall is blank. East wall of
chancel has stepped angle buttresses at either end and a single
1868 3 light window in the Geometric style. Chancel south wall
has a central buttress with to the east a recut late C13 door
with hood mould and floriate label stops. 2 windows, both 2
light, late C13 developed Y tracery, hood moulds and label stops,
mostly C19 now. South wall of south transept has a 3 light
reticulated window matching that to the north. The south aisle
wall is C19 with 3 two light C19 windows in the Geometric style
and matching the original fragments in the west wall of the south
aisle. Inside a late C13 north arcade of 3 bays, octagonal
piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches.
Similar arch into the north transept at the east end of the
aisle. Nave roof and corbels are C19. Crossing arches all
match those of the south arcade with engaged octagonal piers,
moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The tower vault
is 1868 matching the fine contemporary groined vault of the
chancel. The east window records the fact that George Tomline
"Rebuilt" the church in 1868. Memorials:- In the chancel are 3
good C18 hatchments and a wreathed marble urn on a pediment to
William Tomline, d.1742. Above is a small marble wall plaque
depicting a mourning female figure beside a Classical tomb, by P.
M. Van Gelder, dated 1806, and apparently designed by the member
of the Tomline family for whom it was erected. A striking marble
Gothic wall plaque to the Rev. John Parkinson, d,1840, in the
south aisle and a curious plaque to Richard Roadley, d,[email protected], on
the west nave wall depicting an urn containing bent (sorrowing)
flowers. At the east end of the nave are 2 sets of early C19
Listing NGR: TA1846507484
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.