British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Norton Place, Bishop Norton

Description: Norton Place

Grade: I
Date Listed: 25 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 196756

OS Grid Reference: SK9720790891
OS Grid Coordinates: 497207, 390891
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4059, -0.5392

Location: Bishop Norton, Lincolnshire LN8 2AX

Locality: Bishop Norton
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN8 2AX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Bishop Norton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


3/1 Norton Place
G.V. I

Country house. 1776 by John Carr for M.P. John Harrison; with
minor alterations of c.1830 by Lewis Vulliamy for Sir Montagu
Cholmeley. Ashlar and slate roof hidden behind parapet. The
main front is 2 storeys with attics, in 7 bays arranged 2:3:2,
the central bays being slightly advanced under a pediment, with
plinth, ground floor sill band, dentillated cornice and parapet
with balustraded panels. The central half glazed panelled double
doors are approached up 4 steps and flanked by single tall
glazing bar fixed lights, the whole composition divided by
columns in antis with in front a pedimented porch supported by 2
free standing Doric columns. In the pediment are the weathered
coat of arms of the builder. To either side are 3 glazing bar
sashes with deep architraves and pediments. The first floor has
a central Venetian window with semi circular head, the lights
divided by Ionic columns with flanking columns in antis, the
whole supported on scrolled brackets. To either side are 3
glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves and cornices. In the
pediment is a garlanded occulus. The left hand side front is of
3 bays, the central one being canted through 3 storeys and having
before it a single storey pedimented porch with urns and within
fine double doors with eared wooden surrounds having egg and dart
moulding. The porch is a later addition, added by Lewis
Vulliamy. The rear service wing is also in ashlar and has a 2
storey hipped range of 3 bays and a 2 storey single bay with
tripartite window and a Diocletian window above. The interior is
remarkably fine with original plaster ceilings and chimney pieces
surviving in each room. The octagonal side entrance hall
contains a fireplace with fluted pilasters, dentillated cornice
and original iron firebasket, fittings and marble slips. A
lobby leads to the oval stair hall which has 3 doors between
which are 2 hemispherically headed niches with fluted plaster
heads. The floor is in square limestone panels with black
circular marble inlays at the angles. The cantilevered stone
geometric stair has an open string with paired serpentine wrought
iron balusters interspersed with floriate arabesques and wreathed
handrail. The underside of the landing has a dentillated and
anthemia frieze. To the first floor are 8 recesses of which 5
are doorways and 3 blank, all have glazed traceried fanlights and
are linked by a continuous impost frieze. Above is a cornice
with urns, flutes and anthemia above which the roof rises to a
ribbed vault, decorated with paterae, with at the centre a glazed
light. The Drawing Room has a white marble fireplace with
fluted pilasters and moulded cornice. In the flutes and frieze
are scagiola panels in dark green with a frieze of wreaths and
urns. The decorated skirting and dado rail have above full
height plaster panels rising to an elaborate cornice of acanthus
scrolls, urns and entaglios of classical figures. The ceiling
decoration is a delicate plaster oval with fan corners, the whole
filled with Adam style scrolls and garlands. The doorcase to
the front Hall has an elaborate fluted and moulded plaster
architrave with Corinthian capitals and a frieze of urns, scrolls
and a central oval panel of Venus. The 6 panels of the door are
decorated with Greek Key design. The floor is oak parquet
arranged in diagonal panels. The Front Hall has full height
plaster panels, a dentillated cornice and a concave lozenge
ceiling centre piece. The Dining Room has a white marble
fireplace with Ionic pillars in veined yellow marble, supporting
fluted frieze and dentillated cornice with at the centre a
classical urn, and tazzas to either side. The plaster panelling
above the dado rail is decorated with harebell garlands. In the
breakfast room is a further classical marble fireplace and the
door leading to the stair hall has a fluted overdoor and is
flanked by single hemispherically headed niches with plaster
cornices, decorated with paterae and flutes.

Listing NGR: SK9720790891

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.