British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter and St Paul, Glentham

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196775

OS Grid Reference: TF0031090462
OS Grid Coordinates: 500310, 390462
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4015, -0.4927

Location: Church Close, Glentham, Lincolnshire LN8 2EL

Locality: Glentham
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN8 2EL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Glentham, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


4/19 Church of St.Peter
1.11.66 and St. Paul (Formerly
listed as Church of
G.V. St Peter)
Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, C16, 1756, 1855, C20. Coursed
limestone rubble with stone coped lead roofs. Western tower,
nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, north chapel.
The 3 stage unbuttressed tower was rebuilt in 1756 and has a
plinth, 2 plain bands and an embattled parapet. The south side
has a single light with round headed window. The west door is
planked with a panelled head in a plain semi-circular surround
with key and impost blocks and on the left hand jamb is the
inscription "FG 1756". To the 1st floor is an occulus with
raised keystones. The belfry stages have semi-circular headed
belfry lights with key and impost blocks. Between the west wall
of the north aisle and tower is a buttress. To the west end of
the north aisle is a recut C13 lancet. The north wall has a
moulded plinth and a blocked C13 doorway with hood mould and
human head label stops. There are 2 C15 large 3 light windows
set in deep concave chamfered reveals with cusped panel tracery
to heads and hood moulds. Further east is a 3rd smaller C15 2
tight window. The clerestorey is blank on north side. In the
east wall of the north chapel is a C16 chamfered surround with
moulded hood mould, now containing 3 C20 leaded lights. To the
left of this window is a section of a chevron moulded voussoir.
The chancel of one bay has been shortened as the springing of a
C13 arch can be seen. The C20 east window has 3 lights. In the
south wall is a small C15 plain priest's door with chamfered
reveal retaining an early wooden door. The south side of the
aisle has 2 C15 windows as the north side. The clerestorey has a
single C20 window. The C14 south porch has projecting stepped
buttr-essesto either side of the deeply moulded entry arch which
has a hood mould with human head label stops, that on the left
being a C20 replacement. Above the arch is a shield of arms
charged with 3 rams and a chevron, over this a nodding ogee
niche containing a pieta, surmounted by a C14 castellated finial
base with C19 cross fleury. The coped gables have pinnacle
bases to the ends. The porch has side benches and paired trefoil
headed lights with lozenges over in triangular openings to each
side. The south doorway retains its original C14 planked door
and iron closing ring. The doorway is deeply set and heavily
moulded with one concave order, a hood mould and one surviving
human head label stop. Interior; the late C13 3 bay north and
south arcades have octagonal piers, capitals and responds and
double chamfered arches. The west door is round headed, splayed
on the inner face and possibly earlier than the C18 tower. The
chancel arch matches the aisle arcades. The nave roof is a C16
tie beam with staggered butt purlins. The north aisle roof is
similar and the south aisle has a restored contemporary roof. The
fine C18 panelled wooden western gallery stands on 3 wooden anti
with a stair with turned newels and square balusters on left hand
side. To the east end of the north aisle is a blank C14 recess
with moulded cambered arch head with stop chamfer and hood mould,
perhaps an Easter Sepulchre, with to left a statue bracket,
beneath which is a small doorway with concave moulded surround
and cambered head. In the chancel north wall is a further late
C13 double chamfered archway, opening into the vestry, formerly
the north chapel, and beyond to the east is the springing of a
further bay. One corbel for the rood beam survives on the north
side. Fittings; in the nave is a complete set of C18 box pews
with panelled doors and book rests. The altar rails are C17
sturdy turned oak balusters. In the nave is a C17 oak readers
chair with carved back panel. In the sanctuary is a fine mid C19
Gothic chair with angel headed arms. In the south aisle is an
important early C14 coffer with carved front and stiles having
intersecting arcades, rosettes and daggers. The splendid pulpit
of c.1918 has openwork carving and symbols of the Evangelist.
The font is a circular bowl on a circular pedestal with stiff
leaf decoration to the underside of the bowl, inscribed "about
1260 and 1916". In the north aisle the most easterly window has
fine early C20 stained glass in memory of Montague Cholmeley,
killed 1914, of Norton Place( Monuments: beneath the gallery
stairs is a late C13 recumbent effigy of a lady with flowing
robes close buttoned cuffs and mantled head on a cushion. In the
north aisle is a small inscribed brass plate to Ann Tourney,
d.1641. In the floor of the vestry is a C16 brass to a lady,

Listing NGR: TF0031490464

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.