British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Lawrence, Corringham

Description: Church of St Lawrence

Grade: I
Date Listed: 15 December 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 196819

OS Grid Reference: SK8714791657
OS Grid Coordinates: 487147, 391657
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4145, -0.6903

Location: 2 East Lane, Corringham, Lincolnshire DN21 5RA

Locality: Corringham
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN21 5RA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Corringham, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


9/10 Church of
15.12.64 St. Lawrence

G.V. I

Parish Church. Cll, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1882 restoration by
Bodley and Garner. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings,
lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey north and south
aisles, south porch, chancel, north transept, vestry. 3 stage
plain unbuttressed square tower with offset to belfry stage.
Basal plinth, lancet in ground floor to west, square headed
window in first floor, and in belfry stage paired belfry lights
under round arches with monolithic throughstones and midwall
shafts having simple volute capitals. C19 embattled top with C15
water chutes. North aisle has a single restored lancet in the
west wall. North wall of aisle has 2 C15 2 light windows with
ogee heads, panel tracery and hood moulds. Near the west end is
a blocked doorway with flat lintel. North clerestorey of 4
paired C15 trefoil ogee lights under square hood moulds under a
plain parapet with 3 bold gargoyles above. North transept west
wall has single C19 window. Transept north wall has stepped
angle buttresses and a restored 3 light C14 debased curvilinear
window with 3 trefoil lights surmounted by a trilobe set in a 2
centred arch with hood mould and human head label stops. To
north transept east wall a single 3 light C15 window with cusped
lights, embattled panel tracery, 3 centred low head with human
head stops. 1882 vestry in angle between transept and chancel.
East wall has a 3 light C19 window, chancel south wall has a C13
priest's door and 2 tall lancets, all with simple chamfered hood
moulds. South aisle east wall has C19 3 light window and in the
south wall are 3 C19 copies of 2 light C15 windows. The
clerestorey matches that on the north. The aisle west wall has a
single C13 lancet. The south porch dates from 1882 and is in C13
style with octagonal jambs to moulded 2 centred arch and 2
pierced side lights. The C19 inner doorway is in Norman style
with nook shafts, 2 orders of dog tooth moulding and a moulded
hood mould. Interior; the nave has a north arcade of 3 bays,
the 2 westerly bays are late C12 with circular pillar and
responds having stiff leaf volute capitals, square abaci and
double stepped chamfered orders with hood mould and beast and
human head label stops. The easterly arch is early C13 with
circular responds and double chamfered arch. The south arcade
has 3 bays of C13 work, the westerly pair have octagonal pillar
and responds, stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arches
with human head label stops. The easterly double chamfered arch
has keeled responds and circular abaci. The eastern arches in
both arcades are separated from the others by short sections of
walling. In the south side of the southern pier the western jamb
of an earlier window can be seen. The massive tower arch has
plain reveals, chamfered imposts, and 2 double orders of roll
moulding, with a square section hood mould to its round head.
Above is a blocked doorway with inserted quatrefoil. To the east
of the south door is a holy water stoup and at the east end of
the south aisle a C19 piscina. The C13 double chamfered arch
dying to its reveals opens into the north transept, from which a
C19 doorway opens into the vestry. To the north and south side
of the chancel are single large late C13 double chamfered arches,
that on the north having conceptual foliage on the capitals, both
having octagonal responds. The north arch cuts through the site
of an earlier C13 lancet. On this side is a late C13 doorway
with hood mould and ammonite label stops with to the east a
moulded segmental headed C14 Easter sepulchre with central,
presumably repositioned, clerical head. There are 5 steps up to
the altar, probably reflecting C14 ritual arrangement. Nave,
north transept and chancel roofs are of tie beam construction
from 1882 and are elaborately carved and painted. Some of the
corbels are C15 work. Fittings; the carved screen base and
misericord seats at the west end of the chancel date from C15 and
the turned baluster altar rails are C18. The C13 font is a
circular blank arcaded bowl resting on an octagonal base with
detached round shafts decorated with conceptual foliage sprigs
and heads. All other fittings, including candelabrum, rood,
side screens, reredos and elaborately decorated organ are of the
1882 restoration. Monuments; in the chancel is a flat purbeck
marble slab with a matrix for a C15 Lombardic inscription round
the outer edge. In the north wall is a C17 brass to Clifford and
an unusual painted metal panel dated 1631 with decorated borders
and shield. A marble wall tablet in Greek taste to Sir John
Beckett d.1847 is grouped with 3 other C19 Beckett memorials in
the chancel.

Listing NGR: SK8715191661

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.